FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

The Venting Thread!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wren wrote:
If it is harder for me to be a businesswoman and harder for Joe to be a househusband, that is sexism.

Incidentally, "husband" derives from the Old English words hús (house) and bunda, a difficult word which was NOT originally related to the word "bind" or "bound" but instead indicates something like "dweller". So it meant, originally, "homeowner" or "head of household" or similar. As time went on, though, it acquired a sense of binding after all, through the centuries of villeinage -- a husband, then, was a man who was bound to one house and could not legally live anywhere else.
Allicat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if anyone remembers the issue I had with one of my modules last year, but it was along the lines of lecturers skipping lectures (9 times in a row at one stage), not being given practical lessons, not being able to get hold of the module leader to tell him etc. etc. I was the one who complained (very politely; I stated the facts, impacts, and requests we had) and what happened? I was told I'd done it wrong. I was told I should have gone to the module leader first (which we tried, but he was never there), then our head of year, then the head of education. I had been to all these people personally to say what was going on, but nothing had happened. So I was told off for complaining wrong. And still nothing happened. Except that I was given a D for that module. Nice.

So, for something useful out of my rant, be careful to complain right. I don't know how your school works, but there should be a complaints prceedure written down somewhere. Follow their rules and record everything and you should be ok.

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I complained about a professor at WVU, I was told "She has every right to speak her opinion. You just have to accept it, and deal with it."

In short, good luck Wren. :\ I'm on your side, for what that's worth.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on how far you want to go with this...

This organization is dedicated to promoting free speech and individual rights on campus. I don't know if or how they'd react to a case on a high school campus, but their website is full of information and one of the people might be able to help you out.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Nem

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to agree with the idea that teachers give you grades dependent - to lesser or greater degrees - upon how much they like you. Certainly that's the explanation that best fits my experiences.

Similarly you should be very careful about how much of someone's good graces you sacrifice in the pursuit of a relatively insignificant aim. Screwing up what a teacher thinks of you can impact your grade and through that your entire life - whereas getting them booted out or disciplined may well just replicate the original scenario. I'm fairly buddy buddy with the head of philosophy here - and there are a number of things I'd say to him if he asked me about the courses and I was being honest. But will I? No. Not while he's got power over my grades.

If you do want to complain it should be very specific. You need to get lined up what you want to happen. And you should - ideally - have specific evidence; something they said, something they did. Reduce it to a factual issue so they can't weasel out of it. If you know someone above them who likes you they should be your first port of call - not directly with the complain but to ask who you should go to, then they've offered a sort of tacit approval. Get other students in on it - especially if you don't have a specific issue - there's a principle that says the more sources from more diverse groups that agree on something the more trustworthy it is. If things look like they're going to go south call the local media.

Anyways *hugs*
- Issa
Wren

Location: In my head, wondering how so many manage to step outside theirs.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the hugs and the back up. Glad to know I'm not alone, and glad for the tips.

GENERATION 19: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Nem

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate public transport maps - you'd think in a time of modern computers you'd just punch in what you wanted and it would be all 'Yes, sir. You take this train, here's how you get through the underground, here's how....'

No.

The underground map window is little larger than this textbox I'm typing in.

You can download it, in PDF format, of course. No-one's seen fit to stick a north/south key on it. <_<

And it's still the easiest plan I've had to make in a long while so far as transport goes. You want to try the bus maps up here. Really, even I want to. I've just never found one that has them all on.

No wonder there's so much trouble getting people onto the stuff. You pretty much have to drive into London to use the trains at all and once you're there it's a mess anyway.

If this was my first time I'd just write it off as a bad idea and never do it again. The train down to London is usually alright - mainly because there aren't any changes, you just get on at one end and off at the other, but.... as it is I'm still thinking it'll be a nice thing to avoid when I don't have to do it anymore.

<_<

Let's see. Packing. Thrown most of the perishables away, turned the fridge off. Meant to get timer switches for the heaters but forgot - oh well, nothing that can be done about that now - restocked the electricity meter, written out the underground connections, got the tickets, got the railcards, haven't coppied files across to my laptop yet, need to put the bread in the freezer. Sister should be here at nine-ish I think, that gives me around six and a half hours sleep.

Forgot to order the sister not to bring her usual ridiculous amount of luggage. DANG. Got to struggle through the snow with half her wardrobe. That'll make us late. Good thing I left some lee-way in the schedule to account for her presence. :/

Remember front door keys for home. Remember notes for revision.

Hmm, one backpack - can I manage to fit the laptop and enough clothes for two weeks and some DVDs in there? Hnmm.

Ho hum.

Oh yeah, make coffee now so it can be microwaved in the morning. Work out whether to make food for the train; maybe cantine isn't open again.

Note to self: Buy smaller notebook. Current one does not fit in pocket.

Which shoes to take? Trainers don't make your feet hurt but others are more or less waterproof.

Have to leave the books here. Really should have got around to building some bookshelves at some point.

Lay mouse traps? Rember to throw out milk after breakfast. Set alarm.

-_- zZZ
- Issa
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today -- well, yesterday now, actually -- one of the heads of the web team at my university got in touch to say that "The director of e-marketing has decided it would be best to change the library's URL from library.xyz.edu to xyz.edu/library, because having the school initials at the front of the URL highlights the school's brand." For further details, see The Venting Thread.

This is greatly annoying, for many reasons.

1) It's going to be a LOT of work to change all the links in the site.

2) There are many thousands of existing links to the library's site which I cannot change because they're on sites outside my control. A redirect will ensure that those continue working; but if we're going to have a permanent redirect in place, why not just leave the site where it is?

3) It's going to make training more difficult. We have a lot of instructional materials and established lesson plans where we tell students "start by going to library.und.edu", which is easier to say (and remember!) than "und.edu/library". All that will have to be changed.

4) The old URL is printed on a whole bunch of promotional materials such as free notepads for handing out to people, all of which will now go to waste because they're no longer accurate.

5) Perhaps the most annoying thing is that the lady who announced this decision to me had earlier assured me that we would get to keep our existing URL. I think she got overruled by a higher-up, which makes it not her fault; but even so the about-face is annoying.

And now for some more general ranting on related topics.

This whole redesign project has been characterized by decisions made at high levels that don't really make sense. For example, someone way up there decided to split the university site into an "external" site and an "internal" site. You know, like corporations do it -- an external site for selling crap to people, and an internal site for policies, procedures and so on. External is supposed to be directed at marketing the uni to new students; and internal is supposed to be about stuff that applies to people already affiliated with the university. But that doesn't really make sense. Departmental sites (such as Department of History, etc) have sites that consist largely of contact information for professors, requirements for completing majors, and the occasional news announcement -- all of which are of interest to both external and internal audiences. Sites like the registrar have more stuff that's arguably "internal", but even they have to have procedures and policies put up for external audiences (such as scholarship funds who need to make payments for the scholarship recipients). From my neck of the woods, the library serves a large volume of external researchers; we're the largest library in the state, so people wind up coming to us, which means we have to be "external" even though our primary audience is "internal". The corporate intranet/extranet model just doesn't make sense for a university, and the end result is that we've got a shiny external web site that has lots to say about sports and very little to say about academics. Sports are a big part of university life in America, I'll grant you, but the day-to-day reality for our students consists largely of going to classes.

The schedule for the redesign project is crazy. The CIO gave less than a year to redesign the entire university site. Not to mention that VERY early in the process, it was decided to skip the whole "user research" thing in order to build it as fast as possible. I'll readily admit that our old site was crappy, but if you actually want to improve it you need to talk with the people who actually use it -- see how they think, what their priorities are. Plus mapping out the organizational structure of the university would have helped. Maybe then they wouldn't have gotten stuck with this wretched idea that the school consists of schools, departments, and nothing else. (The library does not fit their mental model of the university; we're not a school, we're not a department, and so they keep forgetting we exist.)

Oh, and they hired a marketing firm to design the new look, who promptly assigned a graphic designer with no training as a WEB designer. As a result, we have a moderately pretty site which is too wide to fit smoothly on many of our user's screens; they wind up having to scroll horizontally all the time. YUCK!

EDIT: OH! And they bought a crappy CMS for the university. It's probably okay for people who just have to occasionally update pages that don't change very often. But for anybody who has to write pages that use PHP to talk to databases or what-have-you, the CMS makes life a LOT harder.

Picture me trailing off into the distance grumbling and muttering.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today my supervisor got mad at my co-worker and I, because we both had to leave early. We've had to do this every single Monday/Wednesday that she's scheduled us to work until 12. We both have to be in class at 12, we obviously can't just be signing out at 12 and then going to class. We're both wondering why today is any different. Maybe because we were both running cash registers. I tried to be nice and informed the supervisor ahead of time that since we both were on registers and both had to leave at the same time, staggering the times would be a good idea. Maybe that's what made her upset. The whole thing was really silly and annoying.

For the life of me, though, I cannot figure out why the only two people in the store who have a noon class were scheduled to work at the same times, on the sames days, conflicting with both of our school schedules.

I also can't figure out why they keep scheduling me to come in at 8:30 when I have morning classes but am free all afternoon--every day. Especially since I requested to work in the afternoons (for the above reason and also because I'm a lot more awake and aware in the afternoons. I'm still practically asleep when I come in the morning, and make lots of stupid mistakes).

Gah!
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds annoying. :-/

Though ... have you ever tried scheduling shifts for a dozen people? It's actually really freaking hard. Your supervisor may have scheduled you both on that day because it was the LEAST sucky option ...
Tinu.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is hard to make a schedule with a lot of people. However, there aren't a lot of people. ^^;
There are only five us, plus the two supervisors (who always work the same hours, regardless); and only three of the non-supervisors work at a time (though the store can be run by two). Of course that could fall under the category of having too few people working at the same time; except that two of the five also work fairly regular hours, and also don't happen to have any classes.
daydreamer_girl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm mad at myself. Let me just leave it at that.

I even did a touch of soul searching, picked up writing in my diary that I've neglected for three years. And the problem I started out writing was, to me, just as complicated as I viewed it all along. Now I only have some very wordy detail about my confusion.

Sigh, I guess if I must explain myself. I recently started having a crush on someone, within the year that is, and I'm trying my darndest to try to get over this guy. Why? He's gay.

I've been thinking about it, and rationalising about it, and I'm just going around in circles about all my feelings about this whole thing. I still very much like this guy, even though I know that I'll never ever have a chance with him. I just like him.

I think the easiest way to put my mind at ease is if I just straight out told him or something so I can just get it out there and could be let down gently, but then my problem is that I'm terribly shy about telling anyone anything. That is the last thing I feel like doing. I mean, I grew up with the notion, that I was giving myself mind you, to hide my emotions, everything. At a young age I remember telling my siblings about my first crushes and I was so embarrassed that I strongly felt against telling anyone about my feelings, except for my sis (closer to highschool though) about my crushes. I mean, I don't think I ever told any of my friends in highschool about my crushes (my first real crush since I was 4 XD).

So yeah, basically I still don't really know how to go about this, except for kicking myself in the pants or something. If that were physically possible.

dubbed "Emma" by Asa
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it is physically possible, but that's not your question, I think.

Have you tried talking to your mother or father? Maybe I just have a really close relationship with my parents, but I've always felt that I can ask them anything and they will give me a straight answer. Especially if they can tell I'm really agonizing about it, they'll even stop teasing long enough to make sure I know they understand me. So try asking them. If the gay thing makes them uncomfortable, you don't need to tell them that, just say he's a guy who's out of reach.

If that won't work, your first option (of telling him) depends on how close you are as friends. If he's a kind person who won't crack a joke at your expense, and if you think your relationship can handle the disclosure, I'd say that's the best way to do it. Tell him straight out, or call him or email him if face to face is too scary (which I totally know it can be). I found that I had to do something similar - I had been in a relationship with this guy, then ended it because we weren't right for each other. But a year or two later, I was still agonizing about it, wondering if I had made the right decision. Finally, I sent him an email and we began chatting again, only for me to find out that I had been right; he wasn't for me.

The point is, it's always more scary on this side than on the other side. If you know what you think, and are prepared for the result, then toughing it out will be the quickest way to work through it.

*hug* I know this is tough, Emma. Hopefully you'll be able to find a straight guy who will blow him out of the water, and end your agony for you. ^_^

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
daydreamer_girl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, I can't imagine saying anything to my parents. I can talk to them about many things, but I've never considered telling them anything about my crushes. If anything, I'd most rather tell my sister or cousin. I was thinking of sharing with either of them so maybe I will. I mean, pages of scribbles in a diary can only go so far... XD

Maybe that will be my first step. Because I get scared just thinking about the second option. We go to a very small university...

dubbed "Emma" by Asa
Asa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I might make another suggestion. If you are going to confide in your sister or cousin, and you're worried they might laugh you off, make sure to warn them first that this is a serious conversation to which you would like a heart-to-heart answer. If they blow that off, then think twice about actually saying anything.

I'd also suggest talking to someone at least a few years older, but that truly is your decision.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 3 of 23

Jump to: