FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Today: Problematic But Shiny
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Discussion
Nem

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I mourn the lack of a search function in my brain. I know there's a quote from Beyond Good and Evil on page 13 of the H. Zimmerman translation that I want to use. But I have the R.J. Hollingdale translation. The page numbers don't match up.

In a perfect world I'd just punch the quote I want into my internal search function and call up the relevant page in the version I have =p

Ho hum. Really don't want to wade through BGE again.

Oh, I've effectively finished my ethics essay. Just doing the bibliography bit. Finished by saying the fundamental question for ethics was what I loved. Whether it was a person for their person-hood or a collection of qualities about them; their beauty, their compassion, etc. Had to bind my conclusion though - in so far as someone thinks that the holocaust is 'bad'. That kinda thing.

Just citing it up now. ^_^;

Phew. Got a different essay - much more boring - due on Wednesday. Which I meant to write today since this one isn't due until next month but this one was calling to me, calling with something interesting to do....

Today I slept through the day, awaking at five in the afternoon with a headache. >_< I only meant to get a couple of hours sleep!

Today I want to be doing something. It's about one in the morning the following day now and I've got an urge to go wander around town. Must avoid starting work on the other philosophy essay I've got to do or the one for the evil class will never get started. =p
- Issa
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today was a good day. I hung out with a friend, drove some places. turned in an application, watched the ooooold version of King Kong, worked on my cross-stitch, and sat around for a few hours reading children's books. Now if only I didn't have to go to church tomorrow and face the likelihood of arguing down a chaperon for a proposed trip, this weekend would be perfect.
Nem

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arguing down a chaperon? O_o I'd have thought if you didn't want a chaperon you'd just go without telling them.

Today I've discovered it's very easy for a philosophy student who's done some sociology and a bit of history to cite examples of people who are better at talking about religion than Hitchens. I've got eight citations on the first page of the yucky literature review essay and it's been like twenty minutes.... XD

Edit: Oh god I used 'like' *deeply shamed*
- Issa
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nem wrote:
Arguing down a chaperon? O_o I'd have thought if you didn't want a chaperon you'd just go without telling them.

We have to have a chaperon in order to go. It's a three or four day trip we're talking about, and everyone going is a minor (aside from myself). We have to argue with the guy who volunteered to be a chaperon though, because (while he's a very nice guy) he keeps thinking that he's in charge of the trip and can make all the decisions. We have to keep telling him that no, we can't take more people; no, we can't rent a car; no, no one under thirteen can come, period; and no, the church can't pay for his registration.
><;;

Today is going to be fun.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Six hours of sleep in the past four days. Friend's birthday, a wedding, lots of working, some overtime, driving, talked to people I haven't talked to after some issues. Very busy. Very tired right now. Insomnia played a role too. I dislike insomnia now more than ever.

Interesting note: At this level of sleep deprivation, I feel almost no pain. However, I also had a two hour fight with waves of sensation similar to before and after I had the seizure at WVU. While I was at work. not fun.

Goodnight, or day, or whatever it is, Forum. Wake me if I miss the end of the world in 2012, I intend to sleep for years.

Wedding was nice, btw. Very different from Asa's post about that Jewish wedding she photographed. This one was very Christian. I say, I must not have been so heavily a part of Christian weddings as a child. Or maybe I ignored them. I was floored by some of the things they did. Then again, my eyes are far more open now than they were back then.

Pictures later, maybe. They'll need lots of editing. The lighting at the reception was terrible. I mean, I love the setup (I took pictures of just the setup) and I plan to steal it for a photography idea I have. That said, it was terrible for trying to capture pictures of PEOPLE. Not all of us have fancy schmancy cameras. Razz

Pretty forum girls with pretty cameras, whee!

...I... I think it's best I sleep, now. Be well. o_o

*zombie shuffle, flop, snore*

Oh! Plus that friend I went to birthday dinner with, he's finally making some time in his life for a ladyfriend. Which is all well and good, but the irony is that I've considered remaining an ineligible bachelor forever (think of the cool house I could have!). We flip flopped. Again. Usually do, though.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Tenshi"This one was very Christian. I say, I must not have been so heavily a part of Christian weddings as a child. Or maybe I ignored them. I was floored by some of the things they did. Then again, my eyes are far more open now than they were back then.
[/quote]

Ok, now I'm curious as to what could have possibly happened at a Christian wedding that floored you. Because, all things said and done, Christian weddings are really boring.
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wedding practices are ALL over the map, even within denominations. And a lot depends on what the bride and groom want to do. My cousin, D, went with a full High Anglican ceremony with mass, which was loooooong and boring. His sister, S, had a wedding which featured:

- An Anglican minister
- Jamaican cake room
- A speech by a Reiki master
- Greek walnut ceremony as part of the pledge
- Self-written vows
- An exit processional, but no entrance processional
- "Here Comes the Bride" was not played
- Post-vow meditation retreat for bride and groom, a Jewish tradition
- Beach balls
- Croquet
- Held in a redwood grove.

It was without question the single most fun wedding I've ever attended.
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad and his wife had two weddings, one in England, one in the Philippines where his wife is from, together the weddings featured:

A dress that did not quite fit down the isle.
A bride who nearly missed her own wedding due to taking such a long time getting dressed.
Two incredibly sun-burnt bridesmaids. (The dresses were bright pink, their skin matched.)
Doves.
A bubble machine.
A long Catholic ceremony during the middle of the day in a full church that lacked air conditioning. (If you can't guess, that one was in the Philippines)

Today I spent the day attempting my essay. I'm behind on all my work and it's not going to be easy catching up before Christmas.

Oh well, here I go.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, now I feel like I'm missing out on weddings. All of the ones I've been to have been very, very standard and boring. The most interesting thing that's happened is that at a friend's wedding, the groomsmen decided to play a prank and hide the ring in a crackerjack box.

Brit, I feel your pain. My cousin is Catholic and got married in a very old church with no AC. In the middle of summer.
Nem

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, don't think I've ever been to a wedding.

Today the footnotes feature in OpenOffice is giving me bother. I opened my review essay and noticed it had somehow changed the size of the numbers on the footnotes, spent ten minutes figuring out how to get the numbers back to 10 point. But doing that changes the formatting of the little line above some of the footnotes.

@_@ Footnotes have been an issue in open office since 2007. Three years and they haven't fixed it. This is the main problem with open source.

Wonder whether WordPerfect is still around. Would use MS word but since they changed the menus I can't find anything in it.

Edit: Turns out it is still around if anyone was wondering. ^_^;

Edit 2: After a few hours of fooling about it fulfils most of my requirements. Macros are a nice touch. I can turn footnotes into endnotes and endnotes into footnotes just by pressing a coupla' buttons. The ability to copy formatting from different bits is also quite handy - especially if, like me, you like to block your quotes off 2cm from the rest of the text on either side. Though I may end up binding that action to a macro too.

Most importantly the menus are - while not designed as I would have - still relatively logically arranged. MS take note. =p
- Issa
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, right?

Re: Weddings, I'm writing my term paper on Jewish weddings, and a classmate is writing hers on Christian weddings. Maybe I'll get her to give it to me at the end of the semester, and I'll post both of them for everyone who's interested to read.

Usa: If you're feeling similar to when you had that seizure, maybe you should slow down and back off a bit?

In other news, I'm behind on work. Not too far, but a little bit. And I shouldn't be on the forum, but I couldn't resist not keeping up with everyone's business.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Allicat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usa, please take a break. We don't want you to be ill again *puppy eyes*

Today I have been Mamma Alli and helped all the little first years with their first assessment. Awwwww. I'm pretty maternal these days, especially since I babysat for my friend on Saturday. Her little boy is now 7 months old and gorgeous! He's just crawling and a proper mischief. Thinks his mum is the funniest thing in the world.
Today I handed my pager back after my first weekend on call for the hyperbaric chamber. Now I feel all grown up ^_^

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. You mean ... somebody still uses pagers in 2010?? o_O;

Today I bought ingredients with which to make baked beans and cornbread for Thanksgiving. I've been invited to another reference librarian's house for the occasion. Neither of us have family within a thousand miles yet oddly have the same last name, plus she won a nine-pound turkey in a bingo game sponsored by the staff association and can't possibly eat it solo.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I promise not to push myself.... er... well... okay, I'll try not to push myself too far. >_>

Can't write more right now, maybe later.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Nem

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes! I actually got to use the phrase 'second order simulacra' in an essay! And it's in context!

I'm going to be grinding my intellectual snobbery skill tonight ^_~

Today little things pleased little minds. The destruction of Hitchens' relevance to absolutely everything he was writing about continues. Not much else has been done.

Oh I rearranged my interface so as to have one task bar on the lefthand side of the left hand screen and another taskbar on the right hand side of the right hand screen. It's still not perfect. I'd prefer to have one taskbar on the right hand side of the right hand screen and have it not stay on top. But I'm not sure how to do that. I'll figure it out later once I've more time.

In other news WordPerfect continues to wow and amaze me. ^_^

I'll um - probably oughta be going now. <_< Blither blither.
- Issa
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 3 of 100

Jump to: