FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Asa's Photos
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Asa's Photos Reply with quote

EDITTO: Yo peeps, I'm posting the new pictures all in one post, see if you like that better. Will it induce you to comment?

So, I finally got around to transferring my photos to my computer, and I'm loading some of them to Photobucket. I'll share them here, as well. First up: Flowers!

http://s732.photobucket.com/albums/ww330/yochva/Flowers/

Here's a preview:

I'll add more as I get time.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.

Last edited by Asa on Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:45 am; edited 2 times in total
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added more flower photos.

Click the image to go to the album. Yo, does the image show up as 1023x769, or as 640x480? It should be the latter, but I'm seeing the former.

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
Nem

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

640*481 according to the image properties. Maybe you have a larger version in your browser cache under the same reference somewhere.
- Issa
Asa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably, since it's now in its proper size. Thanks!

Asa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures from a picnic this past summer. As before, click on the first photo to go to the gallery, where you can see descriptions and whatnot.

Nem

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Asa's Photos Reply with quote

Asa wrote:
Will it induce you to comment?

Maybe Razz

I might have focused in on the two kids more. There's really too much background in the shot without enough contrast on the leftmost kid though, he's kinda stuck with the adults so my eyes just slide over him. A step round to the left maybe and zoomed in more tighly over the kids, maybe shot over the brownhaired one's shoulder. Might have been interesting to do something with depth of field too.

I might have shot down across the shoulders diagonally zoomed in much more tightly on the tattoo or shot the upper part of his body against a more uniform background

I like this one. It’s nicely framed, the forms don’t overlap each other too much and the contrast isn’t bad in black and white.

I can kind of see what you were trying to do but my eyes get drawn away from the kid by the overexposed areas of the image. I might have taken it from a lower angle to have the overexposed areas frame the subject better; taken several different shots without moving the camera, one exposed for the outer parts of the image and one exposed for the inner parts of the image and then use the first one to provide the information to fill in the areas on the second; or moved the camera closer to the subject to avoid the problem altogether. Might have been some interesting things to do shooting nearer the kid too.

Don’t really get what the point of this one is meant to be. Nothing there that immediately draws the eye in. You might have been able to do something with the shadows coming off the trees seen at the top of the picture if you’d moved around further to the right and shot along the line.

This one’s much better. Nicely framed.

Colour really doesn’t suit this shot. There’s not enough contrast to distinguish what you wanted the viewer to be looking at without the shot being framed well; at least not on the lower half of the image; and pretty much everything is off to the right hand side of the frame which makes it look lopsided. I might have shot without the sky.

FINGER FINGER :p

That aside this isn’t a bad shot. Maybe a little under exposed in areas out towards the treeline; maybe a bit more going on towards the right of the frame than the left, but the little outcropping thin on the far right helps to balance the deep area of shadow on the far left. I might have taken a couple of steps to my left to equalise those areas a bit in terms of horizon reference but it really depends on the treeline dictating the overall balance of the frame in that case.

[/quote]

Roughly the same but in colour. The red on the right farside outcropping throws the image off IMO and colour doesn’t take to being underexposed as well as B&W.
- Issa
Asa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay, comments!

For the first two or three shots, those were candids, and I didn't have a lot of choice in the positioning. For the lake pictures, the focus in all of them was the reflection of the sun off the water. I deliberately focused on the sun so that it was under-exposed, to provide contrast - otherwise the sky would have been completely washed out. Also, to illustrate how overpowering it really was.

A lot of your technical terms flew over my head, but thank you for the critique. I'll keep it in mind next time I'm taking photos.

Maeniel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love your floral photography. Great use of focus, but perhaps work on your angles more (as far as the daffodils go--angle on the rose is wonderful) to create more dynamics? It's a very pretty piece, but there could be a stronger narrative.

Your photographs of people seem to have a strong commentary, but your lake pieces seem a bit redundant when in b/w and color. Perhaps stick to the b/w; the contrast in those pictures are MUCH better, and I feel like the color doesn't lend more to the picture than what's taken away when not black and white. Does that make sense? Regardless, your photographs involving people speak to me very strongly, especially the last two in b/w. Smile
Asa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the point of the duplicate photos in b/w and color was to contrast the two and see which I liked better. I agree, the b/w are more powerful.

With the roses I could get down underneath and really play with the angles. The daffodils, unfortunately, were in a planter one foot off the ground, about two feet back. It was the best I could do. Also, it was the very beginning of my flower-photo-taking experience. As you can see, I improved.

Asa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More pictars!!!

Just click on the photo to go to the deviation page - then hit 'next' on the left sidebar to page forward.

Squeeself

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a photographer but I do know more than a thing or two about composition and...that moss and rocks picture just confuses me. What's the focal point? Just not sure what we're supposed to be looking at...or even what we're looking at at all. We're not quite at extreme closeup to be focusing on minute details, but too close to really get a clear picture of what we're looking at, causing some head scratching as our brain tries to make sense of the tumble.

Your leaf & water droplet picture is excellent. While I personally would've preferred a bit stronger depth of field, but it's a very nice shot with very nice lighting. Being able to see the leaf pores gives it a very hyper-real feeling, and the intense reflection and sparkles in the water droplets really give it a stunning impression. Nice framing on it too, I've got no complaints.
Asa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments! Most of the moss/bark photos were taken at a precarious stretch, so I was unfortunately unable to play around as much as I would normally like. However, I also don't profess to have anywhere close to the talent some photographers possess, so every critique is welcome.

Tinu.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squeeself wrote:
I'm not a photographer but I do know more than a thing or two about composition and...that moss and rocks picture just confuses me. What's the focal point? Just not sure what we're supposed to be looking at...or even what we're looking at at all. We're not quite at extreme closeup to be focusing on minute details, but too close to really get a clear picture of what we're looking at, causing some head scratching as our brain tries to make sense of the tumble.

Which could technically make it an abstract . . .

I really like the lighting, and you've got some fun angles. They're a bit confusing, as Squee pointed out, but I happen to be a fan of confusing angles.

Also, trees! <3
Squeeself

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abstraction focuses on shape, line, color etc. though. An organic shape just doesn't abstract well on its own. There needs to be some kind of cohesive shape or line happening, or it just becomes a big mess. If you're going for a big mess (ala Pollock), that's fine, but my experience is photography isn't the best at the pure abstract, and the abstraction is best obtained through good framing--extreme close shots are usually very abstract, as are extreme far shots. In both, the other elements like shape, line, etc. become more important since the subject is no longer recognizable. But again, a jumble of moss is going to hard to get a nice abstraction from, unless you get some really nice lines or shapes that creep out from the mess.

Again, not a photographer, so take what I say with a grain of salt.
Asa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you're intelligent, and that's a plus. ^_^ The focus of the photography trip, and this piece in particular, was simply to have fun with my 1mm super-macro. So really, this isn't the best representation of the series, it just happens to be the first in line so that when I linked to it, it would start you off in the right place. That's all. There are definitely better pictures. (Although there's something about this one that I still like, otherwise it wouldn't be available for viewing)

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Arts 'n Crafts All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: