FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Today: Rise of The Machines Edition
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Discussion
Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*hugs Britland*

Welcome back Fea!

Congrats to Asa!

Glad you enjoyed seeing everyone at church, Tinu!

Ax, I agree with your sentiment and understand your frustration, but do try and limit the language on Earthsong. In (or on!) your letters I don't mind, but the forums are pretty buttoned down.

Last night I noticed a trend. I'm withdrawing, becoming more isolated from everyone. Like, everyone. This is distressing, I always assumed I would stop that trend a few years ago. At this point... well, I just don't like where it's leading me. *shrug*

Today I have a few errands to run.

Today I groove to a Symphony of Science.

Today I really wish I could take more than an extremely shallow breath. I'm having trouble getting enough air sitting in my computer chair. >_< Going to set up a doctor appointment this week, though. Just gotta make it to the appointment. One more goal, one more finish line.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Feaelen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I sit and wait while I could be working because I've just gotten my flu shot. So I'm waiting the requisit 5-10 min to make sure I don't die from a bad reaction. All while listening to the nurses chat about one dude's anaphylactic reaction. Gotta love nurses.

Apparently I missed finding the new keepership thread and thus missed out on what i was origionaly keeper of [Willow's Journal and K'Thonya's new made sword [old itteration of Earthsong's archive]]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Tinu.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I planned to go to class, grab a quick cup of coffee with the girl who sits next to me in Psychology, and go back to school to work on my English homework and my research paper for history. Instead I ended up sitting in a coffee shop for something like three and a half hours discussing just about everything under the sun.
I'm really happy about this. I've never made friends easily, and the fact that I so very randomly met someone with whom I get along with so well? It seems almost miraculous, to me. It was even odder when I found out that she's an English major as well. We're really similar, too, as far as world view, politics, and religion go--which is saying something, since I have a rather odd way of looking at everything.

Today my speech for Public Speaking did not go well. At all.

Today I was walking by someone I knew, so I kind of waved and said "Hi." They looked at me and asked, "Are you ok?" I was, and said so. Then they said something along the lines of "You look like you're headed out to do something important--like go fire someone, or something." The number of people(many of them complete strangers) who have walked by me and said "Smile!" has been increasing lately. I'm beginning to wonder if I really do look so gloomy all the time. Oo;
Lithrath

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I made a few knitted teddy bears.

Today the sheet music for the Halo Theme (V.G.L. version) arrived, so next week my orchestra is going to tackle it. Very Happy

Allicat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lithy: *nerd-five* the closest our school orchestra got to nerdy was Pirates of the Carribean.

Asa: woop!

Britty: Tea and sympathy. My supervisor is similarly AWOL so I feel your pain.

Nu: Hooray for new friends!

Today I have internet access for the first time in 6 days. But not at home. I'm in uni because a certain telecommunications company has messed up my home internet. They initially said 24 hours. 144 hours later and no improvement? I might have to ring up and be polite at them.

Yesterday I got home from a tough weekend. I went home to see my folks. I know it was good for them and I think it was good for me too, but I don't want to leave them. I'm back in a couple of weeks anyway, but it was really tough when I saw my Dad's face when I arrived. It's not often I see him cry. I told my Mum about thinking about maybe deferring uni and the look on her face told me I made the right choice in deciding against it. There was fury there! I love my family, which is why I cried on the journey back north.

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Nem

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I thought I missed a class, then discovered the lecturer was ill and so it was cancelled. ^_^

Hard getting out of bed when it's nine degrees outside the covers. With the heater running full whack it's improved to twelve. Need some form of insulation in this place.

May post more when I get back if I survive the crossing. It's a twenty thumper ride.

*Is back*

The sociology course has killed my enthusiasm for today. Let's see, these must be a few of you I haven't responded to. In addition to coffee that'll be cheering.

Asa wrote:
Poor Nem. I know what you mean about the meds. I stopped taking mine more than a year ago, it's been at this point. And also, I think it's less usual for an undegrad to have done as much reading in his field as you apparently have. Alternatively, it's less usual for a pre-undergrad to know what he wants to do as clearly as you apparently did. Before I started my major I'd read only two or three books about linguistics, which were what convinced me about what I wanted to do - but I certainly didn't go and take out the whole library section about it.

Or maybe that's more a statement about my lack of academic zeal than it is about your overabundance of it. *shrugs and smiles*

^_^

I don't read a lot of philosophy. People always seem to think I do, but I don't. I read good philosophy. Hume for instance - the go to guy for religion and some basic epistomology; Hobbes, Rosseau - political theory; Nietzsche - morality, empowering your own aesthetics. And then you get those anthologies that are just little snippets of the key arguments from classical philosophy - they're great.

Most of the stuff out nowadays in philosophy is really awful. Twenty pages to say a paragraph's worth of content.

More tools, less reading. Like Heinlein said: 'Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.'

^_~

*Hands round cookies and coffee and smiles*

Wow that'd be really weird, handing round smiles.

Tyris wrote:
Wow, we could have done with some of that back in July.

Of course, we wouldn't have taken it, but yeah.

Neh, trade offs. We were having a debate about torture. I went to give my points which'd normally be 'Here's the practical concerns and how you get around them.... Here's the theoretical justifications you can give yourselves....' Got about halfway through and my mental notes were just gone. <_< Finished rather lamely with 'and that's all I have to say.'

Dang it I meant to be happy today. Went to the trouble of getting out of bed and everything =p

Where's that coffee. Where's Mass Effect. Let's kill some aliens.
- Issa
Allicat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nem wrote:
Where's that coffee. Where's Mass Effect. Let's kill some aliens.

I'm not a gamer, and I have no console, but I am feeling a little CG violence is in order. I wonder whose flat I can hijack...

Today consisted of meetings and mild depression (I often find the two are synonymous). I want to go home.

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nem wrote:

Most of the stuff out nowadays in philosophy is really awful. Twenty pages to say a paragraph's worth of content.

That's because people are programmed to write essays--which as we all know, is saying in ten pages what can be said in a paragraph or less. It does really terrible things to people's writing, believe me.

Today, after have a worry-inspired bout of insomnia, I have decided not to go to a concert next week. If I went, I would have to miss two days of Photography, and that would leave me with only about four days to turn in three projects. Which is pretty much impossible. Unless I was the only person working in the darkroom. Which isn't going to happen.
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinu wrote:
The number of people(many of them complete strangers) who have walked by me and said "Smile!" has been increasing lately. I'm beginning to wonder if I really do look so gloomy all the time. Oo;

I canít tell you how much that annoys me. When Iím concentrating I have a habit of frowning but this doesnít mean Iím angry or upset and my default expression is not Ďsmileí so when a complete stranger walks up to me and tells me to smile it does not immediately make me happy. Even if I was genuinely annoyed by something somebody telling me to smile is not going to solve my problems.

I can understand that maybe theyíre trying to help but what on Earth makes them think that if Iím upset somebody saying Ďcheer up loveí is actually going to be helpful?

Today university has been alright. The lecture wasn't great but at least we had one and it was slightly useful. Some people however are worried about our lecturer or running out of patience with her.

Last year this lecturer was very ill and took the whole year off, she's back now but so far sheís cancelled two lectures and one seminar and some people have her as their dissertation supervisor. I know at least two people who havenít been able to meet her yet because she keeps cancelling meetings. Weíre seven weeks in to the course and some people havenít spoken with her about their dissertation, that just isnít right.

Iím worried about her and Iím worried about my course, if she canít teach it then she needs to say that and just find another way of dealing with the whole thing but she canít keep cancelling our lectures. And worse, she cancels lectures and then when we should be making up for lost time she does stupid things like teaching a room full of third year students how to make mind maps!

My seminar on Monday was cancelled and sheís going to arrange a replacement one for Wednesday, however, on Wednesday I will either be at conservation training at the museum or horse riding, if this seminar clashes with either of those Iím just not going.

I think what makes it so annoying is that I can't be mad at her for it, if she's ill, she's ill and I can't lodge a complaint because 'my lecturer is ill'. I'd feel better if I could be mad at someone!

In summary: Today Britland is frustrated.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brit, I agree completely. My default expression is kind of blank, or a bit frowny--because I tend to get lost in thought quite a bit. The first few times it happened, it was almost funny, but now it's just starting to get a bit annoying.

Today I finished my landscapes project. Wee.
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I found a new fantasy author in the public library whom I'm going to give a try. There were four books on the shelf, with zero indication of which one comes first, and the first three were all published in the same year. O_O That is some MAJOR writing productivity.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can I join the club? Apparently I look kinda scary when I'm walking. I don't do strolling, so I stride and get this really set look on my face... Yeah, I've been told I look like I'm angry. At least it keeps the pests away.

In Today's news, I got some work done. Not a lot, but some. And it was beautiful outside, that's always a plus.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been told the same. My father is the same way, too. His default expression doesn't look angry, per se, just not happy. Mine is the same way, though I have been known to smile constantly in some situations. Particularly when visiting or hanging out with friends. If people catch me on the street, they often think I'm scowling at something.

Oh, the number of times I get asked if something is wrong. I've just started answering yes, and then not elaborating. Watch the gears turn in their heads.

Ah, er... maybe I'm... maybe I should not do that. That's not very nice of me, is it? ^^;

Today I set up my Google Docs account as a network drive in Nautilus (Ubuntu Linux's file managing software). I am right now looking at the contents of my entire Google Docs account as if it were a folder on my computer. :3

Interestingly, it would appear that Google Docs stores documents in an .odt format for text, .ods for spreadsheets, and so on. It makes perfect sense that Google would use OpenOffice, but it's just amusing to me.

Today I failed to get in contact with the doctor. I'm not keen on going to the emergency care center, I'm really not. Here's to hoping that the cough begins breaking up some of the garbage making it impossible for me to breathe. Fortunately the weather was warm today, so breathing was pretty easy overall. There were still many times I was out of breath, but today it didn't hurt.

Can't wait to see a doctor about this. Wouldn't mind being able to breathe. Seems to be a pretty essential function, you know? ^^;

Today, I realized I have more muscles than I did a year ago. In places I didn't have before, anyway. Particularly, my upper body is a lot stronger than it used to be. So is my back and sides. My legs remain pretty strong, but now with effort I can do all sorts of fun things with my arm muscles. I can even watch different muscles and tendons tightening and flexing with each individual finger moving! Okay, maybe I'm just odd.

Today I did very little else of note other than working, so I have no idea why I'm so tired.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Tinu.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just look gloomy, I think. Or I suppose I could look angry, but . . . I don't have an angry expression. I just kind of go blank-slate. >>;;

@Usa: Maybe you're so tired because you're sick and it's taking a lot out of your immune system?? Make sure you're getting lots of sleep. Rest is good when you're sick.
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I am a happy Britland.

Today I went to the museum for a meeting about volunteering there. I'm going to be doing object handling where visitors can handle some of the artefacts. I've signed up to work at the coins table and today they let us see some of the samples they'll have at the tables. My favourite was an Athenian coin.

I had to miss my riding lesson for the meeting and I'll have to miss it next week for conservation training but hopefully after that I won't miss any more.

My friends and I are organising a trip to Sweden in January which I'm really looking forward to. My friend booked the trip today. Yay!

Also, I don't think I've mentioned it here but my parents got kittens at the weekend! They're called Merlin and Juno, brother and sister. They were left at a cat sanctuary and fostered by two different people so they're very timid but they're getting confident. Merlin doesn't run away from us anymore, Juno is running away less and both of them are letting us approach them more often.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 99 of 100

Jump to: