FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Today: Rise of The Machines Edition
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 97, 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Discussion
Tinu.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Fists back* Want to join a protest line?

Tyris wrote:

Tinu. wrote:
Yeah, I know, it's how one gets a job; and jobs are very important because they provide money, which in turn provides for almost all things necessary to survival. It doesn't mean I have to like it, though.
Personsally, we'd much rather overturn the economic system altogether. The concept of ''money'' has become hideously corrupted such that you can make money purely by having money. We need to go back to basics and build back up again.
However, we have no idea how to go about doing this.

I have to say I agree. We could go about this one of two ways. The first is easiest: find an egalitarian society (if any still exist), and live by foraging for the rest of our lives. The second is more complicated . . . Have you ever seen Fight Club?

Today nothing went wrong. But nothing went right, either. It remained in that frustrating gray area, and dipped just barely enough into the bad bowl that it is unable to be termed "mediocre."
Nem

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Money' as such arises from general apathy towards accounting for losses and gains in terms of contributions. Nem could go on for a while about statistics and power relationships and how power is a meme that finds expression through money; generally dependant upon what people can tolerate by way of their living conditions, which in turn fixes against neurology and certain environmental constants interacting with the complexity of information distribution systems. About how people care more about what's going on in their community than they do about statistics from a hundred years ago that indicate how and why their community if functioning as it is ....

Uh, but in all honesty he thinks he'd be preaching to the choir and it'd be really boring to most of you. =p

Even if he was just preaching to the Tyris choir ^_~

Today I think that my neurochemistry is broken. Alter it one way and you can tolerate crowds and be interested in the activities of people you don't know and recognises faces and so on. I spent half an hour talking about a particular aria I liked and comparing it to the expression of a colour in a painting - and you know I was interesting; I recognised where people's eyes were looking and so on. But normal; you're tapping your thumbs together and trying to deal with all the noise from being in a room with thirty other people. You'd still talk about the same things, you're just too tired to be bothered. Tired, old, run down.

Touching your thumbs together is like drumming your toes inside your shoes, or rocking back and forth when you were young. It's a sensation - a regular sensation - that you can filter some of the chaos through.

Doctor's given me some stuff that kinda make me feel, kinda, like I think I should. Mostly fuzzy in all honesty but lets you tolerate stuff. But I miss the days - more than a decade ago now - where I'd reach the seaside and just feel naturally happy. Largely about not having too many interactions though. Razz

Emotions are such an ill-understood part of our society. Psychology diagnosis pathological disorders. Anorexia nervosa, autism, depression, dsygraphia, dyslexia, etc etc. Snap snap snap. Little paper boxes to tick you off against.

Let's see them represent those boxes as a three dimension graph, and the effects of their medications in the same terms. Happiness on one axis, rationality/sanity on the other, social cohesion on the third. Not strict criteria of course, pick your aesthetics - which is really to say pick your society. But still... This 'is or, black and white, yes/no.' logic is really iffy.

Are you who and where you want to be? That's the only relevant question.

Today Nem is up at one in the morning. Later in the morning there's a Hume tutorial. Nem really likes some of Hume's work but he's probably not going to do the reading. If he did the reading he'd bounce thoughts off of himself and wouldn't have anything to say in response to others later today.

On the other hand: Hume. Nem's probably done the reading years ago and will remember it when people mention it. Oh yeah, you're talking about the bit where he goes 'Da-de-dah'. Undergrad degrees - at least in the area Nem does, seem to be such a let-down to people who've done some general reading beforehand. <_<

Today Nem probably ought to stop referring to itself as Nem.

I != Nem.

I = socially negotiated observation point of a fractured collection of desires.

Gneh =p
- Issa
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor Nem. I know what you mean about the meds. I stopped taking mine more than a year ago, it's been at this point. And also, I think it's less usual for an undegrad to have done as much reading in his field as you apparently have. Alternatively, it's less usual for a pre-undergrad to know what he wants to do as clearly as you apparently did. Before I started my major I'd read only two or three books about linguistics, which were what convinced me about what I wanted to do - but I certainly didn't go and take out the whole library section about it.

Or maybe that's more a statement about my lack of academic zeal than it is about your overabundance of it. *shrugs and smiles*

^_^

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight I woke up in a cold sweat after a vivid dream, and wrote the most tragic story outline. Beginning to end. That's very rare for me. I fully intend to make it my NaNo project.

Yesterday I received Ax's letter. Time to get crackin' on some Chess-By-Mail!
Tenshi has unlocked the Ultimate Nerd achievement! (100 NerdCredit)

Yesterday I felt woozy. Right now I feel more so. Small wonder this tragic story revolves around a dying character that could very much be me, were I terminally ill. If I don't get back to bed, I may be so. And if Asa or Tinu catch hold of me up at all hours, my lifespan will certainly be drastically reduced! XD

Tomorrow I plan to make parmesan pasta. Penne noodles, some sauce, and of course parmesan. Here's hoping I feel up to it, because I really want me some permesan pasta.

By the way, Eva Cassidy's singing is absolutely heartseeking. You all must go seek out her music! If you don't like the first thing you find, keep looking. She was incredibly versatile.

Alison Krauss is also fantastic, though I'm a bit more selective about what I like from her collections.

Bought a gift for a friend last night (tonight? Hrm), but don't intend to give it to them for a few years. How's that for forward planning? O_o

Started a game of Scrabble with my writing buddy last night. Totally was whooping her, up until she needed to go to bed. I'm excited to have a scrabble companion again, though. My last one, ah.. well, that situation went south in so many ways.

New favorite saying when people compliment me: "I've been accused of that before."

I try and deflect compliments. Sleepy Tenshi will tell you all a secret, though. I really like hearing them. Even if I deflect them and turn bright red. No joke, bright red. Almost every woman I've known (and a few men) have taken great joy in making sure I'm never not tomato red. Makes my cheeks hurt in a good way. Mmmh.

Going back to bed now. G'night forum.

P.S. Nem, I'm still alive.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I am having quite a good day. I had an interview at the museum to volunteer there and they've accepted me. I'm going to be doing object handling, probably in the coins exhibit.

I'd like to work in a museum one day so I'm very glad to be getting some experience.

But I am a little scared that I'm going to break something.

Something 2,000 years old.

It wouldn't be the first time.

Actually, that's a lie. I didn't break something 2,000 years old but it was a couple of hundred years old and on that day I learned that archaeology is not for me.

Today I attempted to find a journal in the library. I hate journals. I hate reading them, I hate citing them and above all I hate finding them!

The library at my university is a maze and all the journals are in this cursed section called 'Orange'. Orange is somewhat like Hogwarts in that it changes layout every now and again. Sometimes entire floors disappear.

For example, today I needed to find a journal in the Orange section, on the second floor. I've had trouble with this in the past so I thought I'd take the lift which is generally the easiest way to get to the Orange section. In the lift the buttons refer to the Orange section as L for reasons that I don't understand. Anyway, I went into the lift and read the buttons, the only ones there were 'L4, L3, L1 and BM' And no sign of L2.

So I gave up on the lift and decided to take the stairs, I assumed the old fashioned way would yield some results. Unfortunately the stairs also skip straight from L1 to L3.

And then I gave up. I'll go back on Monday and see if the second floor has returned.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Tenshi: But Chess is old-school nerd! It's classic. You can't tarnish chess's reputation.
Also, you like Eva Cassidy? O_O She is absolutely amazing! I love her! Though I like Judy Collins more. >>;

Britland: The missing second floor reminds me of a book series I used to read as a kid. It was about this really weird school that was thirty stories tall, but had no 19th floor.

Today I hung out with a friend. We went everywhere from the library to a fabric store to the movies. It was a fun day.

Today I've acquired a copy Rachel Carson's Silent Spring, as well as a collection of tales from Arabian Nights. I've been wanting to read both for years.

Today I received no phone call from the store, so I'm assuming I didn't get the job. *sigh*
Tyris

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of waiting and assuming, why not call them and confirm or deny your assumptions? The worst that can happen is that you can be right.

Tenshi wrote:
New favorite saying when people compliment me: "I've been accused of that before."

Implying that the complimenter's positive perception of you is mere delusion is also fun. "Don't worry, there are pills for that."

Nem wrote:
Today I think that my neurochemistry is broken. Alter it one way and you can tolerate crowds and be interested in the activities of people you don't know and recognises faces and so on.

Wow, we could have done with some of that back in July.

Of course, we wouldn't have taken it, but yeah.

Nem wrote:
Are you who and where you want to be? That's the only relevant question.

Such a tiny question, yet the answers can be huge...

"It's a sad thing when a man loses his cookie." - Nem
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, it's best to send a thank you note for the interview, then wait a week for a response. Then call andfind out the verdict if they haven't gotten back to you yet.

Today I'm getting a little bit done on the long list of things to do. Tomorrow I'm going to go out for breakfast with my mother and our laptops because the Internet is on the fritz at home and there happens to be a Dunkin Donuts a couple blocks away with free Internet. So we're going to go and get some work done. Then there's another bridal shower. Then I think I'll go to campus for the rest of the day and get more work done. Hopefully. Tomorrow I have to pull new sources, read them and right a proposal foe my research proposal. Once I finish that I have to start reworking my other big essay.

*sigh* So much to do...

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
spellingmistax

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You actually got that letter? I am glad as I had a lot of trouble with the posting of that dammed silly thing. You have never seen a letter less willing to be posted. (Some of the following is true)This is only a small part of the trials I had to go through in order to post it.

This was before the post box incedent. It was during my lunch break. I am not ashamed to say that it tricked me. It tricked me into opining it by making me think that I had not written Usa’s address on it. As I was in work I had no access to the internet, this of coarse meant I had no way of getting Usa’s address. I had however written his address on the letter, (in case he had forgotten where he lived/received mail) in trying to carefully open the envelope I rendered it unusable. This was my darkest hour; I feared the letter would never be sent.

Then, …then it started to mock me. It began by showing me the full address was written on the other side.
It knew I was in work.
It knew I was unwilling to by more envelopes since I have ….enough… at home.
It knew I had put my last two stamps on the dam thing.
It also knew there was no possibility of me getting more that day.
Do ask how this foul thing knew theses things, just know that it did.

But I triumphed over it.

By skill and cunning and determination I sent the un-sendable letter. I did this by getting two quite big stickers used in stock control in work to reseal the thrice dammed thing.

Other trials where had, other stories as yet to be told, ones of great triumph and tragedy, of unsung hero’s and unworthy villains, of terrible loss and sweetest gain, of enemies found and friends who fell such are the tails bound up in this epic saga, the struggle between man and letter. But for now it is enough to know that I withstood the storm, held fast against the trials, met and beat every trick a letter from the deepest darkest place of evil knows. I managed to get the upper hand and wrestle it into a post box. Where it was bound by laws not even it could defy to arrive at Usa’s door.

This, by the why Usa, is why it had “Stupid Dam letter” written on the back of it.

He is not trying to tarnish anything, Chess is the classic nerd game and both he and I are playing chess by snail mail, quite nerdy even when it was the best most efficient method available to play chess over long distances, we have other means available to us, we chose mail. We are nerds, you will be assimilated.

I have had quite a good day, no work for me tomorrow, got some warmachine toys painted, going to get some studying done this Monday. To top it off it has finally started to rain, oh how I missed proper rain. Have a good night all.
Apparently I got ‘creative’ as well

while Udina asked the usual inane civilian things that came about while under attack: "What's happening? Who is shooting at us? I'm squishy and not wearing armor and I'm a liability, get me to safety, etc.
dubbed Anthrax by Asa
Spellingmistax = mistax = ax = anthrax
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, snail mail is one of the most wonderful things ever (in my humble opinion), more power to you both. ^_^

Today I did nothing important. It was wonderful.

Today I went to see Toy Story 3 with my family. After thinking for years and years that my mom hated Toy Story, she has proved me wrong by loving 2 and 3. So much so that after she watched the second one she appeared in my doorway jumping up and down with enthusiasm--that is one of the stranger things I've seen in my life.
Asa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthrax, that was a humorous story, but please try to limit the swearing. Preferably to nil. The spelling filters are there for a reason. And also, Gramma Asa is here and she's got sensitive ears.

Also, thank you reminding me to send a letter that's been languishing for a reply. I'll do it tomorrow.

Asa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I finished my research proposal proposal! *dies in relief*

Tinu.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*hands Asa a cup of congratulatory tea*

Today work was cancelled (too cold), so I went to church for the first time in ages. It was pastor appreciation day, so I got to see a bunch of people whom I haven't seen in years (because they left). Sometimes, I miss the camaraderie of people who have known me since I was eight.
Feaelen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I'm browsing the forum on my phone while waiting for my work computer to chug through processing an ATIP file into a PDF. Then I can really print it. Silly computer

Today I must get the gym layout so that I can plan the layout of my craft show this weekend.

Today I'm glad it's sunny Very Happy

Today I think Asa will be surprised by all my proper capitols. Apparently my iPhone hates my lack of capitols use as much as you do Wink

Apparently I missed finding the new keepership thread and thus missed out on what i was origionaly keeper of [Willow's Journal and K'Thonya's new made sword [old itteration of Earthsong's archive]]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today has been quite stressful. I went to university a few hours early to do work in the library before my seminar and when I arrived I learned that my seminar was cancelled and that the dissertaion title forms were due today. I had no idea they were due this week and to be fair, that's my fault. I really should have kept up with the work but in my defense my supervisor is not at university this week. She's in hospital for an operation.

So I ran around like a headless chicken for a while, managed to print off the form and fill it in as best I could but I had to hand it in unsigned. I really hope I don't get a warning for this because she isn't going to be back at university until next week so I can't get the form signed before then.

I think she may even have been out of university last week as well, I'm not sure.

-sigh-
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 97, 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 98 of 100

Jump to: