FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Homework help....2.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Nem

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's actually quite handy - Kant's argument depends upon the assumption that there's only one system of geometry that can possibly be imagined. If mathematics works by assuming a host of different axioms that generate a range of different results... all the worse for him. =p

Thanks! ^__^
- Issa
Nem

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know how to cite a character in a computer game?
- Issa
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, somehow I'm not surprised.

I would guess something similar to personal correspondence, or use the name of the game in the place of the book title. Use the release date as the published date, developers in the place of editors or publishers...

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would assume it would be the same as quoting a character in a book, just like Asa suggested. Though, truthfully, I don't have any of the formats for citation memorized.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Tinu.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think it would be more like citing a particular video, actually. Because there are things you'd need to cite that are more similar to a video than they are to a book--besides which you normally have to differentiate between print and non-print resources.

What citation format are you using?

Here's video citation for MLA format, but the site also has APA, Chicago, and Turabian formats. I think it might put the citation together for you, as well.
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm writing an essay about ancient Greek comedy and I want to discuss the id, ego and super-ego in relation to the protagonists but I don't know that much about it. Basically, I want to know which is which, I thought I knew but I checked the website that shall not be named and apparently I have the id and the ego the wrong way round.

However, my professor is cunning and a little devious. I would not put it past her to change things on the website.

If anybody can define/explain them I'd appreciate it.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobbled together from class notes, textbooks, and memory:

The Id: Unconscious desires that do not adhere to any moral codes or societal norms and rules. The id is driven by primal desires of self-satisfaction. as well as by the need to survive. It deals in instant gratification based on whatever gives the most pleasure. These are driving desires and motives that you are not consciously aware of; and mostly, that's a good thing. The id does not play nice, nor does it have any sense of propriety.

The Ego: Basically, it's rational thinking. This is subconscious, so again, you're not really aware of it going on. It's a mental way of dealing with the desires of the Id. The Id wants something, and the Ego seeks a realistic way to satisfy the Id. It operates in looking at long term satisfaction, versus instant gratification. It also acts as the peace-maker between the Id and the Superego--since both have drastically different ways of getting things done.

The Superego: The conscious decision making process. One of its defining features is that it is driven by culture. This is where morals lie (conscience, and feelings of pride or guilt), as well as cultural norms. It tries to find not only the realistic way of gratifying the desires of the Id, but the ideal way--how things "ought" to be done. Think of the Superego as a goody-two-shoes superhero.
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That accords with what I remember of it. I suspect, however, that your teacher may prefer a citation to a more, hmmm, authoritative source.

First stop: check your textbooks.

Second stop: check your school's library web site, they likely have a dictionary or encyclopedia or psychology. (Or of literary criticism, since the subject matter is a play.)
Tinu.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good point. A basic sketch of these should be available in any psychology book. Most school libraries keep textbooks; but if yours doesn't have a Psych book, you could always track down someone taking a psychology class and ask to borrow theirs. Really though, they should; Freud's stuff is in most Psychology textbooks--be it General, Abnormal, or Developmental. If you've had some trouble getting a clear definition, I would suggest cross-referencing several books.

If they're available. ^^;

Good luck with your paper.
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, that helps a lot. And apparently I did have them the right way round but the definition is useful.
Tyris

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Monsters, John! Monsters from the id!"

...why, no, we don't have anything helpful to contribute. Why do you ask?

"It's a sad thing when a man loses his cookie." - Nem
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate chemistry, just want to get that out there.

There are these two related questions on the homework, I've been working on it for an hour now. I thought I had it right the first time, but that didn't give me the answer the teacher said I should have expected. I went to the example and learned I forgot a step, but when I recalculated, the answer was even further off. Three reiterations since then, I have yet to hit on anything close to the right answer - not even the answer the teacher said I might expect if I was doing it wrong. Is someone willing to help explain this to me?

CO(g) + 2H2(g) = CH3OH(g)

GIVEN: 1.5 L, .15mol CO and .30mol H2 initially, .1187mol CO at equilibrium

{I just realized I was reading something in the given information wrong, but I still don't know how to fix it}

Fill an ICE chart, give the moles of each substance at equilibrium.

At this point, here is my ICE chart:

Code:

CO   +    H2    = CH3OH
coeff: 1         2         0
I    .15       .30           
C     -x       -2x        +x
E  .15-x    .30-2x         x
   (.1187)

Or is it .15/1.5=.1mol CO, and .3/1.5=.2mol H2 as the initial values? {This is the bit imparted by the example, which I didn't do for the initial ICE chart}

Then fill in the value for x (which I thought was .1187 but isn't) and do the math for the equilibrium line. But I'm so discombobulated now, that I don't know what do to with what when.

Find the Kc value for the equation given in 14.34.

This should be straightforward, but I don't know what the proper values are to insert into the equilibrium expression. Also, the teacher said, "The answer is 10.5. if you get 4.68 at first, note that the Kc expression must include the molar concentrations of the species, whereas in 14.34, you worked in moles." Sorry? I thought I was.

Help! This is driving me nuts. I don't have class tomorrow, but I would really prefer to use the day catching up on my OTHER homework, and not bogged down in chemistry as I was today.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Maeniel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ariiiiise from the grave!

Two questions here.

First:

How do you solve a single equation when given multiple variables? I feel like it can't be solved unless there is a second equation, but I just wanted to make sure. Ex:

Code:
47,575 = 135a + 160b + 175c + 200d

Added bonus: Each variable must be a whole integer.

Second:

Is there a way to open a pdf in CS5 whose fonts are not embedded so that the text is outlined rather than substituted? (I realize that the easiest way would probably be to open the file in Photoshop so that everything is rasterized, but I'd prefer to work in Illustrator if at all possible. Photoshop's align/distribute tools are not nearly as effective as Illustrator's. Plus I prefer vectors.)
spellingmistax

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of these days someone is going to ask a question that I can actually help with and on that day someone else is going to beat me to answering it.

while Udina asked the usual inane civilian things that came about while under attack: "What's happening? Who is shooting at us? I'm squishy and not wearing armor and I'm a liability, get me to safety, etc.
dubbed Anthrax by Asa
Spellingmistax = mistax = ax = anthrax
Tamir

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, nobody answered until now, so I might as well. ^_^ Though I bet it's not relevant anymore.

Maeniel wrote:
How do you solve a single equation when given multiple variables? I feel like it can't be solved unless there is a second equation, but I just wanted to make sure.

Any (polynomial) equation with more than one variable has an infinite number of solutions. Usually such equations are not interesting for that reason.
However,
Maeniel wrote:
Added bonus: Each variable must be a whole integer.

This changes things. What you're describing is a Diophantine equation, which have much more limited solutions (if any) and are usually very difficult to solve. While there is simple general solution for equations of the form ax+by=c, equations such as the one you provided are harder and there isn't always a clear way of solving them. (Actually, there may well be a general solution for this type of problem, but I don't know it.)

So, as for your particular problem:
Code:
47,575 = 135a + 160b + 175c + 200d

There are indeed an infinite number of solutions. For any whole numbers m,n,p there exists a solution given by:
a = n
b = 4n + 5m
c = 7n + 8p + 1
d = 237 - 10n - 4m - 7p

You can test it yourself by setting n,m,p to be zero or small numbers. I got this solution from Wolfram Alpha.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: