FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Archeology RPG OOC thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Archeology RPG OOC thread Reply with quote

Ooohhhh. I was under the impression we were on a general plane landing in Greece's main airport, and then we'd be flying or otherwise getting to the facility. Hm, that does sort of make Naomi seem like a yokel. I suppose I hadn't yet got my mind out of the 2010s and over to the 2070s, yet.

Oh - and as a refresher for everyone, this thread is for most Out Of Character interaction. Short lines or comments can be made in-game, as you've already seen, but if it gets unwieldy just move the conversation over here.

I'll start it off - what'll be the firearms policy? And if we're NOT on a public plane with a regular baggage claim, how are we planning on retrieving our big bags? Do we have big bags, or is it only what we can carry on? Which is fine, but then I have to rearrange things in my mind and it makes my first question a bit more pointed.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay for being gone forever!

First, to respond to Asa: Firearms policy is under the USPW policy while they are on USPW property. That is to say, if you hold a license for operating a firearm safely (think motor vehicle licenses, applied to firearms) then yes, you may carry so long as you have the proper permits. Concealed carry permits exist, as do general proficiency and open carrying permits. Firearms are arranged in classes, "Ballistics - General" covers all forms of ballistic weapons. Rifles, handguns, and other civilian models. Military weapons are separate. "Projectile" class covers arrows, slingshots, and so on. "CE - General" class covers Coherent Energy weapons. Also pistols, rifles, etc. Military weapons are again separate.

Military weapons require a further proficiency class, which civilians rarely can obtain without sponsorship from the military. Hard to get, to say the least. Doesn't keep people from owning the civilian weapons, which are plenty powerful. This isn't just USPW policy, but mirrors (and is mirrored) by nearly global policy among slightly more open countries. Many countries still opt to strictly limit firearm ownership, though the NAU is not one of them.

The bags on the plane will be handled by the automated help, mostly. You can carry what you want, but little robot helpers will be happy to take the load for you. That's not impossible today, it just isn't cost effective.

Finally, I'll be trying to draw up some floor plans for the facility. However, I have to leave for work now, so I'll be working on those in... *checks watch* eight hours or so.

Did that answer your questions?

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, thanks.

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
Tenshi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be noted that you can also obtain just "Firearms - Pistol" or "CE - Rifle" permits. They're not noticeably cheaper, however you don't have to pass proficiency tests for weapons you're not good with. Again, sort of like a driver's license, only an actual test instead of some disinterested person who just wants to go home.

Also, the spaceport!

The MAGRAV rails that go off to the left curl around and head toward the city, as do the ones that head off the top.

Tomorrow after work, the building plans!

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Nem

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to have her set the alarm on her phone but then I was thinking. What would phones look like? Touch screen is turning phones into essentially a slab of glass nailed to a lump of plastic these days but the main limit seems to be the display's size. Nem finds texting on those things difficult anyway. It's also one of the more limiting factors for augmented reality and so on. Which is really neat but essentially pointless in a little screen.

So if you were fixing/advancing the displays you'd probably want a few low powered lasers onto the retina or something, or holograms, something like that. And if it's holograms would the holograms be touchable? If the folks here are playing around with their glowing stairs just now then I'd imagine not.

My personal inclination would be to go with lasers, shine the main shell up in the air and simply project a keyboard onto the left forearm or something so you'd get some sort of tactile feedback.

Not sure what sort of tech base we're looking at here though.

Oh and how've computers come along with networked mobiles? Are home computers like this black box that sits under your desk for your mobile to hand off its more intensive processing tasks to/sync files with it when you're in range? Thinking whether she'd have brought a laptop with her or expected to be able to hand off processing of anything intensive to the facility's computers.
- Issa
Tenshi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stairs are recent because they must support the entire weight of the person, plus anything they're carrying or wearing. The sensors for exact weight, plus the real-time solidarity... well, it has a few things to work out. However, we're right now (2010) entering a time when we can use ultrasonic feedback to provide tactile sensation. Automated Intelligences provide a host of services, ranging from secretarial to housekeeping work.

Anyway, the end result is that processors and memory storage are TINY. You can fit them into clothing weave, or jewelry. Most people opt for a stud in their ear, which can also be used as a communication device. Some opt for a bracelet, which gives a great place for a keyboard to be holographically placed nearby. Some do both, or have pen-sized computers they take with them. There is a tactile sensation to the hologram, which is really just a slight pressure against the fingertips while it's being used.

Also, the rooms are equipped with what's termed "House Intelligence", which serves basic functions. Connects your calls, takes your messages, etc.

As you mentioned, there are eye overlays as well. Your character can have any and all of these, or none at all. Laptops and computers would be viable as well, of many sizes and shapes. The consumer market has attempted to cater to any needs they can find, at least for the purposes of on-Earth gameplay.

Red Skelton
Asa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... this is interesting. *off to find excuses to use these things*

Tenshi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get too terribly connected to them. >_> Earth is a technological wonderland, but we're not staying for a long time. The ship will have the AI and personal information equipment, recorders on their persons, all of that jazz. They'll still be working with manual tools to some degree, and will spend a bulk of their time outside of the ship. All that fancy technology ends up being a voice on the other end of the comm line, at some point.

Though I suppose you could have the ship's AI play you some classical music if no one's on the line, or even do text-to-speech service. Anyway, anyway! ^_^

Red Skelton
Tenshi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get too terribly connected to them. >_> Earth is a technological wonderland, but we're not staying for a long time. The ship will have the AI and personal information equipment, recorders on their persons, all of that jazz. They'll still be working with manual tools to some degree, and will spend a bulk of their time outside of the ship. All that fancy technology ends up being a voice on the other end of the comm line, at some point.

Though I suppose you could have the ship's AI play you some classical music if no one's on the line, or even do text-to-speech service. Anyway, anyway! ^_^

Red Skelton
Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also: Page 2! Very Happy

Once we hit the initial briefing, they'll be rushing headlong toward launch. I'm going to take another crack at drawing the ship, but I'm having some issues with it. I don't WANT it to look like the ship from 2001: A Space Odyssey, but it keeps coming out that way.

I just had an idea that may solve that. Instead of having long armored "ribs" to encompass the ship, why not simply half of the ship body. Then, strong magnetic couplers in the nose and tail of the planetary vessel could connect with opposing magnets in the hull of the parent ship. Once the two were locked, mechanical couplers would reach out from the walls of the parent ship, and a half sphere would slide out form behind the other half sphere. Yes, yes I think that would work. Sort of like an upside-down Space Shuttle, in a way.

I'll be scribbling that at work tonight. o_o

Red Skelton
Nem

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2001 didn't have any radiators. There's a NASA report (Ah, tax money at work Wink ) you can find here:

http://gltrs.grc.nasa.gov/reports/2005/TM-2005-213559.pdf

On what they did wrong in the film. Although some of it's a bit heavy.
- Issa
Rama

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short reply. Between the whole "of to play basket" thing and Alex talking to the AI, it was hard to make conversation work very well. It was more of a soft entry into the rp.

Tenshi: if you want, I can give you links to some rather interesting sci-fi designs that may help you in creating something less 2001:y.

Also: Yay for english spell checker module! I've tried to ignore the red bars all this time, but now I've finally made the browser change language. Happy times.
Asa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also I'm willing to edit for you if you want.

New tech I introduced, in case anyone else wants to know:

Earrings as the framing points for a holographic display wirelessly connected to a pocket-sized computer unit (as powerful as a modern laptop), which also has a fingertip-based mouse that wirelessly transmits to the holographic screen and the computer unit. I have an idea that the earrings also act as headphones, but I don't know how that would work. Maybe wires coil out of the backs and stick to the front of the ears to transmit vibrations? *shrug*

This set-up charges on the charging pads I mentioned, which I've been informed are current technology - and here I was, thinking I was being futuristic. This would be powered by the ship, so as long as the ship is running the computer will work with whatever programs are pre-loaded. Pretty much like working offline.

Also, running pads, based on the foot-shaped shoes of today, except more advanced and more flexible. Roll them up, stuff them in a corner of your bag, and presto, exercise anywhere.

If anyone else introduced/s new tech and/or information in the RPG, please post a short explanation here, so that we can keep track of it and make use of it if we want to.

Rama

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer. I don't think it'll be necessary, it's just that I tend to get sick of the red underlines after a while. It's more of a nuisance than a real problem.
I'll contact you if I run into a snag though.

Couldn't the earring be a small speaker? The construction could be designers choice. Not all cellphones today follow the same pattern after all.
I'd personally put a small piercing inside the ear cup, where it's turned facing the hole, or maybe a small speaker in that little cartilage part that cover the passage?

Maybe there could be a function to cancel out incoming sound, forming some sort of bubble for the ears? The effectiveness would off course depend on the hardware, but sufficiently powerful speakers could make for some nice hearing protection.

Running pad?
I get a image like a rolling carpet, except it's actual footprints skidding along the floor.
Asa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your comments, it gave me inspiration for the idea. This is what the earrings would look like:

The problem with traditional earrings acting as speakers is that there's too much sound lost to the environment, and they're located too far away from the inner ear. The most effective speakers are pressed right against the eardrum, or as close to it as possible. I'm thinking that there will be a thin-but-strong wire that curls around the back of the ear from the bottom of the cuff, similar to the wired earphones security folks wear today, and has a contact point inside the ear to transmit sound. This way it's unobtrusive, effective, and doesn't block sound from the outside. Other ear protection would be added if needed. And, because us women like to look pretty, there are all kinds of ways to decorate and customize the earrings.

This is basically what the 'running pads' look like:

Except the future ones will have better technology in a thinner membrane so that they can travel better and last longer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Serious RPG's All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: