FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Advice regarding university courses (or lack thereof)

Allicat

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Advice regarding university courses (or lack thereof) Reply with quote

Hey folks, since there are a few university guys in here I'd like to get your opinions.

I have taken a technology module as part of my penultimate year at uni (this goes to my BSc and next year is my honours year). The lectures are given by a number of guest lecturers who all work at the same institue as me. The module leader is supposed to organise it all and make sure everyone knows what they're doing. I say supposed to because he's been failing this in an epic manner.
Out of 12 scheduled lecture slots after Easter we received 4 lectures. We turned up for all scheduled lectures, but often the lecturer scheduled didn't attend with no explanation. We emailed the lecturer and the module leader every time but only one was resceduled and we often got no response from either the lecturer or the module leader. We have a final assessment which is due "sometime before the end of term" consisting of a report and a 5min seminar. Since we're now in our reading week and exams are next week it beats me when we're going to do it.
As a result of all this we haven't a snowball's chance in the Sahara of getting a grade representative of our actual abilities in this field. I've emailed everyone I can think of with regards to this, but I was just wondering what you guys thought? I daresay I'm not the only one working with people who can't organise their way out of a wet paper bag.

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea.

File a formal written complaint with the boss of the guy who's supposed to be organizing it? The boss's boss? If you're paying tuition for this, you're getting cheated.
Allicat

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'm paying tuition. As I said I've emailed everyone I can think of, but it seems like nothing is happening. At least nothing that can help us before the end of term. I'm just so angry with them. It's now eating into my revision time having to do this assessment which we've been given the minimum of guidance on.
Sorry to rant, but this has got right up my nose.

Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you've a right to rant. Have you emailed the dean of the school? Or the editor of the school paper? Put it in the media, then they'll have to do something about it. Who's in charge of tuition? What about trying to get a reimbursement? Good luck. I hope you can figure it out.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was reapplying to unviersity nobody seemed to know what the correct department was and I kept getting told to email somebody else. I think I kept my cool until emailer number 8 told me to email person number 9 who told me to email person number 8.

I say you should find the person who seems to be in charge of this, or somebody fairly high up the ladder, or even your personal tutor if you have one, and go to their office. Some people don't check their emails regularly but if you turn up at their office you're going to catch their attention. Just make sure to be polite.*

*Not that I think you'll be rude, some people just don't like it when you turn up outisde of their office hours.
Nem

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point I don't think there's much you can do besides filling a complaint. Getting something important changed tends to be a lengthy, miserable process; especially as a student. Your best bet is usually to complain over time, establishing a paper trail / chain of pretexts, getting other people to complain as well.

Find your head of school, it should be their job to manage the professors. Failing that, student support office - although they tend to be of very variable quality. If you have special needs and know the folks who handle that stuff, they generally know who to talk to. Special needs folks tend to be the most competent group; they deal with a lot of issues without a high staff turnover so they build up a decent amount of expertise.

Failing all that, registry - or whoever deals with the money if you lack an office by that name. People who handle the money generally know who to talk to if you want to get things done.
- Issa
Allicat

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys. It ended up that the seminar part of the assessment was scrapped and the marks redistributed. Our head of education handled it brilliantly, the module leader less so. Head of education got back to me straight away thanking us for our input (I got most of the rest of the class to sign too) and sorting things as well as we could have hoped. The module leader scampered like a frightened bunny. It was a little pathetic really.
I've compiled all the emails we sent to lecturers and notes of all the times we tried to talk to people so hopefully this will prevent a backlash.
Hopefully they'll get some of it sorted for next year.
Thanks again guys, I really appreciate your help.

Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you handled it really well as well. Congratulations for getting a response, and an equitable agreement.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: