FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Archeology RPG Introduction Thread, World Information, etc.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Tenshi

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Archeology RPG Introduction Thread, World Information, etc. Reply with quote

The time isn't drastically in the future, though it is a bit post-modern. Maybe even Alternate Universe. Either way, it's based on Modern Earth with a bit of Sci-Fi flair thrown in. Here we go!

The Earth, shining jewel of the Local Cluster, has been home to many of humanity's great dramas. Powers rise and fall like waves on the shore of a beach, and innumerable pebbles are carried in the tides. These powers tended to control the greatest number of people, at least until the world progressed to a point where private interests rivaled the controlling governments.

Some half century ago, Nikkos Palaiakos founded a university in Greece. This university, the United Scientific Projects of the World, had only one intention: Making science an open process. Through primarily private funds, Nikkos started a campaign that would eventually draw over half of the scientific community into the public forum. Free from guidance of government funding, the USPW surged ahead. The spectacular, dramatic successes were often matched only by the equally spectacular, dramatic failures. In thirty years, this finally made a global impact.

The USPW released the first in a series of technologies that would completely change the way humanity looked at the stars. This first technology was the GJE, or Graviton Jump Engine. Through the application of string theory and gravity particles, an "engine" (though that name is a bit of a stretch) was created that allowed an object to "ride" the strings connecting large gravity masses. Within ten years, a sustainable colony had been established on The Moon, and Mars was being mined for resources.

Now some twenty years after the first generation of GJE, a new technology allows vessels carrying current GJE to attain a much higher resolution map of 'connecting strings'. Thin strings, filaments of connections, can be held to and traveled along by a complex process of manipulating both these "strings" and gravity particles. The first probes equipped with this technology (Collapsing Probability Field Graviton Jump Engine) were sent into deep space, focused on a handful of exoplanets found in the habitable zones of nearby stars.

One by one they stopped transmitting, leading to an overwhelming sense of xenophobia by most governments. Politicians and military advisers began screaming for defense systems, ships capable of space flight, and a myriad of other aggressive moves.

Yesterday, the last probe returned intact and unharmed. It carried with it millions of pictures, each showing a world not incredibly unlike a version of Earth with a bit more violent weather. One series of images in particular silenced every voice on Earth at once.

A stone structure. Embedded in the side of the mountain, it's surface disheveled and unkempt. Proof at last that humanity was not always alone.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton

Last edited by Tenshi on Sat May 08, 2010 4:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tenshi

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Social, Political, and Religious information

Social
The world remains much as it is today. Some of the acronyms have changed, but that remains about all. The United States and European Union needle one another, while enjoying a relationship that helps both prosper. Most of the countries in Asia grow, some wholly devoted to extroversion while others are xenophobic. Counties still nurse old wounds from past wars. And, yes, there is an area of Asia, Africa, and southern Europe that makes headlines in countries far away.

Social systems have altered in a few ways, however. Since a privately funded, openly publishing scientific community has begun producing results for everyone, technology all over the world has the potential to be at relatively the same point. The huge cultural backlash from this was avoided when that same scientific community reminded the world that they didn't have to adopt these new technologies.

The most notable case of USPW actually flexing it's muscles were when a US-based company attempted to use a marketing campaign in a very conservative country, advertising a new genetic engineering product. The country being targeted, when surveyed, found that over 80% of citizens found the company's marketing repulsive. In a historic case, USPW rescinded the US company's rights to use the genetic engineering technology that USPW itself had developed unless the company pulled out of the conservative country.

The US-based company filed suit, and the USPW won the suit. For this reason, many governments and corporations feel a high level of distrust or malaise toward the USPW. On the other hand, many corporations and governments think that a global, publicly publishing scientific community is a brilliant idea. Can't please everyone.

Notes:
1. Characters who belong to the USPW will not be strictly forbidden to hate the USPW. In fact, the running joke in the field of Philosophy is that hating your employer is in the company's rules. The field of Philosophy receives moderate funding to work with Sociopolitical and Psychological fields, which makes it a viable course of study.

Politics
Politics pretty much never changed. The acronyms became different, some countries formed unions while others went their own way. The EU and USA are still major powers, with China filling the trifecta. Most notable are individual countries which trend in a certain direction on the "scientifically modified" scale.

Oh, countries currently licking their wounds from WWII and The Cold War have pretty much managed to pick themselves all the way back up. Russia and Germany are again major players in the world, and contribute a great deal on the international level. Adult images from Japan are still blurred, however, much to the chagrin of 12 year old boys in America.

Religion
Unchanged, for the most part. If you want to make a new branch of your favorite religion, feel free. However, religious evangelism will not be the focus of the RPG. I have no doubt at all that every one of us are adult enough to respect one another, even though we don't agree. Also keep in mind that new branches of old religions may or may not be treated as fringe groups.

Largely, beyond "no attacking others' beliefs", I'm going to take a hands-off approach to Character Religion. Suppress yours, announce yours, even deck yourself out in holy symbols and talk about flying pasta. It truly is your character's personal belief. Still, if you run around in a tin foil hat and talk about little green men, some of your colleagues may not take you quite as seriously when they want to consider the implications of non-human life in the universe.

Notes:
1. I suppose I should further mention that the alien cultures are probably not going to have Judeo-Christian analogues all the time.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Tenshi

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TECHNOLOGY in the Archeology RPG 'verse

I want the technological limitations of the ship to be something of a surprise, but I will update this post with information as it becomes mentioned in the story. If a character seeks out information, then I will very likely give them said information and then post it up here. Ask, ask, ask away!

Essentially, if you went to Gajitz, Wired, Discovery Science, and Discovery Tech, you would find technology comparable to the game world. Now, here's the catch.

Your characters are not always going to be on that world. In fact, most of the time they're going to be spent in an archeology camp, on a ship, or in a dig site. None of these are particularly conductive to high levels of technology. Solar power? Not on a space ship. Wireless access to the endless knowledge of all civilization? You aren't even in the same solar system. Flying cars exist, but personal transportation is impractical to take with you when an equally sized crate could be filled with artifacts to catalog and study back home.

Red Skelton
Nem

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coolio ^_^ coupla' questions:

Quote:
Now some twenty years after the first generation of GJE, a new technology allows the objects to attain a much higher resolution.

I take it resolution is like the integrity of a radio wave compared to background radiation? i.e. how far you can be away from the origin for it to contain useful information.

Assuming high-density information storage; I have three terabytes in my home computer - what sort of information access are we looking at and why - if it's not - isn't the ship, or their base camp by way of a relay in the ship, configured to provide that wirelessly? Are we looking at a world with that sort of information storage?
- Issa
Tenshi

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nem wrote:
Quote:
Now some twenty years after the first generation of GJE, a new technology allows the objects to attain a much higher resolution.

I take it resolution is like the integrity of a radio wave compared to background radiation? i.e. how far you can be away from the origin for it to contain useful information.

That would be an unfinished thought I didn't catch. It should read (and will after I finish this post): "...a new technology allows vessels carrying current GJE to attain a much higher resolution map of 'connecting strings'."

I also didn't want to get too technical at first, so as to avoid throwing off the less technically minded. I want all types for the RPG! ^_^

Nem wrote:
Assuming high-density information storage; I have three terabytes in my home computer - what sort of information access are we looking at and why - if it's not - isn't the ship, or their base camp by way of a relay in the ship, configured to provide that wirelessly? Are we looking at a world with that sort of information storage?

The ship will contain large stores of data, yes. This is a bit premature, as I haven't posted about the ship(s) yet, but the USPW will have installed a library (of sorts) on each of the space-faring vessels. This library will contain the whole of modern knowledge on scientific fields, as well as as much data on social, political, and religious documents/trends/texts/policies as can be ascertained beyond the fourth wall.

Data storage will be immense. Terabyte (plus) drives are already growing commonplace on modern Earth, so it can be assumed that at least 50 years into the future we will probably be able to fit the Library of Alexandria on something the size of a dinner plate. The collective works of every Renaissance artist on a human hair no longer than three inches, that sort of thing.

Data transfer over massive distances, however, is sketchy. Unmanned probes equipped with CPFGJE will be able to carry "batch" transmissions, but due to the way the technology works in the game lore it is not currently possible to transmit through the FTL medium. Current transfer limits wirelessly from the ship will be instantaneous. However, data is transferred at the speed of light where it is not otherwise contained by some form of mass.

There are experiments that may be conducted along the lines of quantum-linked particles (I forget the name of the theory), but currently the technology is strictly theoretical. Transmissions home require sending a probe back along the gravline, or waiting for another ship to come your way.

And to resolve the question of "traffic" on these gravity lines, I'll go ahead and mention that the first three letters (CPF) stand for Collapsing Probability Field. It plays on Wavefunction collapse, in that it takes a path that has not collapsed and then collapses the one nearest to the original straight path. Therefor, any path that has already collapsed will not be used again by a different ship (however, ships may use the same route as before as often as they like).

Red Skelton
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've already set my head spinning with the technology. How much of it do I need a working vocabulary to use, and how much can I gloss over with a "inputs data to computer" or similar?

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless your fields are related to Astrophysics, Computer Technology, or Engineering? Absolutely note, and "enters data into computer" would be perfectly fine. While much of the world has embraced the technological lifestyle, a fair portion have chosen to remain much as they were 50 years ago. The divergence is bridged over essential things, however. Everyone knows how to use the networks, the computers, the phones, that sort of thing. Unless you're anti-technology, but then traveling on a space ship may not be the best plan for that character anyway..

The general rule of thumb I plan to aim for is that, once off the home planet, their resources are not determined by the shiny technology they have. While those are tools, the resources are going to be drawn more from the characters' collective imaginations and ability to discern things using their intellect.

In other words? Yes, you have a holographic scanner that creates a three-dimensional image on the main ship. However, even the ship's Navigation and Support (or "Automated Functions") AI can't tell you anything about the object, unless it comes from Earth. Figuring out what it does, why it was there, and what it means will be up to the team.

Red Skelton
Rama

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I registered just for this. I actually thought that I had an account already. I planned to join Bering, but choose not to for a multitude of reasons, one of the main ones being that I haven't really played any long lasting forum rpgs in a while, and didn't know if I could keep up.

I'm interested in playing the pilot, or one of the pilots. I would imagine that you'd have people flying shifts, plus a backup if possible. That is of course depending on the ship size, crew capacity and the scale of the operation.

Is there just the one ship leaving, or is it part of a convoy? Is it responsible for bringing the equipment, or just the people. Is it responsible for bringing back samples? Is it capable of entering and exiting the atmosphere, or is space travel still limited to shuttle/pod technology?

Is piloting frequent, or is it exclusively transportation between planets? Is it difficult or routine? By the use of an unmanned shuttle I'd say it's a difficult journey, but is flying one of these long range ships like flying one of our present day spacecraft, or more like a commercial air plane?

Does USPW train its own pilots, or do they recruit from other piloting professions and schools? For special missions like this, do they turn to people they've worked with in the past that they know have good merits?

I didn't really know exactly where to put this, and if it's a discussion for the interest thread, let me know.

It sounds like a fun concept, all the more because it's more mystery themed than action themed.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, for one, am excited to meet a new person, and a new player. And I'm looking forward to the answers Usa (Tenshi) comes up with for your questions. The non-technical perspective sounds like it'll be a refreshing addition to the group, especially since the rest of us know somewhat what to expect from each other - your input will quite a wild card! *beams* Welcome to the Forum, Rama!

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Rama, and welcome to the forums! I'll go ahead and address your questions, which will provide plenty of world information. I had intended to reveal this once our scientists were being briefed, but I'm planning to progress the story this weekend and we now have a pilot - you. ^_^

I'll give a bit of an overview, and then the piloting information.

In the current world (which could be estimated to be between 2065 and 2080), vessels have seen a great deal of change from modern (IE 2010) rules. While research into gravity has not yet yielded a significant way to reduce the mass of an object, it has yielded a rapid transit system between large gravitational bodies. These lines of connected gravity are better explained by the visual reference of braided hair, only several thousand fold more interwoven. It is therefor possible for a ship to attach itself to one "line" in this braid, and traverse it in one direction while one or several other ships traverse different "lines" in the other direction. This technology, established in the late 2040s, has made Luna a heavily industrialized location.

With the issue of launch no longer a consideration, corporations and governments alike have set up production facilities on the Moon (Luna). Private interests there are scarce, though a few notable private facilities have been created. The primary focus of these factories and refineries on Luna was to exploit the material inside the core of Earth's nearest natural satellite, and continue research into Faster Than Light (FTL) technology.

In the in-game modern time, a recent revolution in the Gravity Engine technology has allowed much smaller "braids" to be utilized. Such lines have been shown to exist all throughout the solar system, some intersecting it while not touching orbital bodies at all. A series of probes were sent along these lines, and it was discovered that most of them connect distant stars to one another. There are a few, however, that connect planets. These planets are always at least marginally acceptable to human life, according to the first reports from the probes. However, within hours of discovering the worlds the probes have all ceased communication. Only one probe had managed to descend to one of the worlds connected to the braids, and it found the ruins of a structure that could not possibly have been natural formation.

Now, for piloting, there are generally three tiers of knowledge. The first is atmospheric flight. Most pilots begin here, which can range from crop dusters to commercial airliners. The controls and characteristics of these craft have not changed significantly since their refinement in the early 2000's. The on-board computers are significant, and minute details are available to pilots of more advanced planes. However, manual control is still the norm for anything less than the massive intercontinental flights.

The second is a bit nebulous in it's definition and title, but has been colloquially named as "Non-Grav Flight". These pilots are the ones who ferry cargo, freight, satellites, repair crews, or even weapons (though rarely legally) through what we now consider as "space". There is no gravity, and with little in the way of resistance the ships can fly forever on one short burst. NGF is a very tricky discipline to master, and so NGF pilots are usually fairly highly skilled.

The third type of piloting is a throw-back to the old days of Earth-based space launches. Launch and Re-entry skills are rare, though certain corporations (such as USPW) maintain a group of pilots who do know how to accomplish the task. Ostensibly, these pilots are used for when the wait on an available braid would be too long, or when the risk of unknown radiation is too great considering the cargo.

Pilot licenses come in five classes. Class ATMOS, NGF, and LR correspond to the three types of piloting listed above. Class AT-NG is a combination of the first two, and the Class ANL is held by pilots who have show mastery in all three fields. No bonus points for guessing what the "colloquialism" some of the mono-class pilots have to express their envy at those who hold the ANL license.

To answer your question about space-to-ground operations, it depends entirely on the vessel. Most courier vessels are small enough, aerodynamic enough, and carry enough magnetic shielding that they can enter and exit the atmosphere of a planet on their own (albeit more slowly than the aerodynamic gravity descent module like our space shuttle). Ships that are larger, much like the USPW ship being sent on this mission, are too large to enter the atmosphere directly unless they absolutely must. It is possible, but ill advised (and very difficult!) as they do not have the aerodynamic qualities to bleed off the majority of their speed in the upper atmosphere. Large vessels forced to land on a planet thus expend a fairly large amount of their fuel reserves landing without proper facilities.

The configuration of our USPW ship is something like a scaffolding, instead of a classic docking bay. The pilot sits up front, in a cockpit reminiscent of the early 21st century. Directly behind the cockpit are several rooms for supplies, storage, sleeping arrangements, and other amenities. A long corridor stretches out the remaining length of the ship with rapid transport platforms on either side of the main walkway. When the detachable vessel is docked with the primary vessel, then docking fixtures on either side of the walkway will open, giving access to the planetary vessel at roughly quarter intervals.

At the trailing end of the main vessel is the propulsion system(s). This includes the fusion engines. Borrowing from other Sci-Fi lore, these engines utilize helium-3, deuterium, and hydrogen. These are often found in cometary bodies and gas giants if the need arises, however ample reserve fuel is kept on board most ships. To assist in more focused maneuvers and positioning, fusion engines are not especially useful. For that reason, most USPW vessels also carry hydrogen-oxygen reaction engines with variable thrust and directional nozzles along the main body. Our vessel is so equipped.

The Gravity Engines are another matter. They appear to be scaffolding as well, stretching out above and below the main fusion engines (mostly to avoid being fried during their use). When they are brought into operation, the fusion engines are forced into a mechanical cut-off (power to the reaction injectors is transferred to the Gravity Engine control arms). At full extension, they extend approximately 50% the length of the ship again, and contain two "rings". When properly aligned with a gravity braid, the forward ring and rear ring both clamp on to the same gravity line. Then, the Gravity Engines are used to shift the gravitational mass of the ship forward, increasing the pull of the ship forward along the gravity line. The forward ring then severs the gravity line in place, and the rear ring stretches it along behind the ship. At least, that's the layman's version.

In this manner, ships can traverse these gravity lines at much faster than the speed of light. Since so much power must be drawn to the gravitational effectors to keep inertia from flattening the occupants, all systems except for life support and some crew considerations (such as lighting, hot water, food, etc) are powered down. This is also the most boring time during a flight, and one of the longest. Even traveling the braids, acceleration and deceleration times mean that journeys can take weeks, or months, depending on target.

It should be noted that no pilot has, thus far, ever left the solar system. In fact, no human has, only probes. So there will be atmospheric conditions that are unfamiliar for Class ATMOS, AT-NG, and ANL pilots. Also, the pilots will be perfectly welcome to join the rest of the crew on their expeditions. It may even be far preferable, given that each individual will see things with their own set of unique eyes and ideas!

Hope all that helped. Let me know if you need any further clarification or information, and I look forward to reading your character Bio! Smile

Red Skelton
Rama

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basically you can manipulate an objects mass, but not reduce it to the extent of making an anti-gravity engine?

So you actually start from an earth base and braid travel directly of the ground? Is that just for Luna or do you have to be in orbit already if you want to leave the system altogether?

From what I can tell, the pilot for the mission would have to be at least AT-NG, but preferably ANL. When you don't know what's really going to happen, and don't have help readily available, you want your personnel to be as highly trained as possible.

So the USPW ship is not planned to enter the atmosphere?
I don't really get a clear image of what the ship looks like right away.
When you say planetary vessel, is that the main bulk that travels between planets, or is it the "Launch/Re-entry" pod/shuttel?
Is there any art that you think come close to depicting what it looks like?

Will my character pilot both the interstellar vessel, and the descending vessel? Are there different people to pilot the two units, or are all pilots recommended for a mission of this sort ANL licensed, and can therefore do both?

If the mass of the ship is forced forward, does that mean that it actually disappear in front of the ship entirely during the faster speeds?

Will we play any of the travel time? I assume that there are accommodations to make sure the occupants keep active and alert, as well as a good book. Smile

Okay. How big will the expedition be? There's only one ship leaving, as far as I can tell, but it could be huge. Then again, if it is a rapid response to the pictures it might be smaller in size. Is it specially made for this or is it a standard model with certain modifications?

Nice. Some time out of the ship is good for morale and to keep healthy.

If you want, you can pm me the answers. That'd make it possible for my character to know answers to things that you want to brief to the scientists later.

I'll try to send a bio in the evening.

When you said progress, did you mean to start the whole story, or to give us more info about what is to be expected?
Rama

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenshi:
I have sent you a PM concerning the bio, and some ideas of what kind of background he could have.

Asa:

I apologise that I didn't answer, I actually missed you post before because of the length of Tenshi's answer.

That's what the PM is about: what kind of merits would you need to become a space pilot in 2065-2080? You still need a lot of training, but is it completely aimed towards piloting, or is a bachelors still required?
The scientists would probably still have more advanced degrees, and have tons more experience.

In any case, I'll throw in some background tweaks to make sure that there are some major differences in character and perspective.
Asa

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, Rama, it's to be expected. One thing we do try to enforce, though, is double-posting. If you thought of something you forgot and no one has posted yet, just go ahead and edit your last post. This is within reason, of course - if it's been a week, you can post again. ^_^

Now I'm really intrigued to hear what your character's going to be like!

Tenshi

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excerpt from a PM with Rama, that I think is actually fairly interesting lore (If I'm allowed to say so myself).

Quote:
If it helps to visualize the gravity braids, think of two planets a distance apart. Let's say you have two of them, Earth and Mars. Let's say their orbits aren't perfectly placed at the moment, so Mars is 200 million miles away. Now, each planet (because of it's mass) has a gravity field around it. For the sake of simplicity, let's imagine this as a flat circle. If you took an arrow directly from the gravitational center of each mass and aimed it at the other mass, you would find the two intersect. This intersection is where the "gravity lines" can be found, essentially the cluster of strongest strings between the two. This cluster, or "braid", is what the Gravity Engines latch on to and travel along.

Here's a diagram:

Note that the broken (dotted) line is the true direct line between Earth and Mars. The problem is that, because of the sun, that line is distorted. Nothing drawn to scale, of course, but you get the idea I hope.

Red Skelton
Rama

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asa:

Oops. Sorry about the double post. The clock isn't really correct. It was more like 2 in the morning over here, and I didn't really think things through.

To peak interest: He'll be fluent in swedish. Surprised

Tenshi:

That would look really cool on a glowing HUD or a similar cockpit control system. I don't really have the programming skills to make something like that in 3d with a workable interface, but I really wish I did.

I've sent you a PM, and I'm writing the mock bio.

By the way, why does my message time say appr 8 in the evening, when it's really appr 9? I've set the time appropriately, but it seems to be wrong?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Serious RPG's All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: