FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

First time poster! And a theory on "change to the comi

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Plot, Character, and Current Page Discussion
Chrono Dragoon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:35 am    Post subject: First time poster! And a theory on "change to the comi Reply with quote

Hey all! I'm a long time reader, and I figured it was time to get an account and post on the forums. Very Happy

A bit about me (and I'll be brief): my name's Ryan, I'm 23 and I live in Washington STATE (NOT DC). That's way over on the upper left part of the USA map for those of you who don't know off-hand where WA is. Wink

Ah, before I go any further, I apologize if this is in the wrong subsection. I didn't think it quite fit in Feedback since I'm doing my introduction here... I am a noob here, so let me pre-emptively thank you for your patience with me!

Anywho, as for my theory on the change in the comic: I notice that early pages (up until right around the start of Vol. 3) had very distinct and separate panels, usually with a prevailing black background. Some panels overlapped from time to time, true.
So, the change seems to be this: in more recent strips, the background is often a panel by itself with other panels layered over it. The background panel's main action is always a part of the page, usually at the top or the bottom. I think this gives a lot of ambiance to the comic! With newer pages, it feels more like being in the area with the characters, watching the battle as opposed to just watching the battle on a TV set.

Of course, maybe that's not it at all and is just Lady Yates improving her art style as she goes. It's definitely an improvement, one way or the other. Smile

So here's the part where I get all gushy and say "this is great stuff! Keep it up!" I mean it; I can tell that a LOT of work goes into this webcomic, and it is certainly one of my favorites among those I currently read.
spellingmistax

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome.
I am not to sure if this is the right place either. *Shruges* I am sure the mods will move it if it isn’t.
I had a look over the comic archives and I see that your theory holds up under my first glace, but I can not say if it is accurate or not.
Truth be told I am going to withhold from proposing my own theory as we will be told soon enough. (Or at lest I hope we will)
The ‘Proper’ into thread is in Rules and Introductions.
Did I say hello?
*Rereads post*
Turns out I did.

while Udina asked the usual inane civilian things that came about while under attack: "What's happening? Who is shooting at us? I'm squishy and not wearing armor and I'm a liability, get me to safety, etc.
dubbed Anthrax by Asa
Spellingmistax = mistax = ax = anthrax
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not, but if you split your post in two, you can put the first half in the Intro forum and the second leave here - then you'll be good to go. ^_~

I think that what you're noticing is the result of Teh Lady's style improving. Since her art has changed, it has a different effect on the reader.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Chrono Dragoon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asa wrote:
I think that what you're noticing is the result of Teh Lady's style improving. Since her art has changed, it has a different effect on the reader.

That's kind of what I figured was the cause, but it's definitely been more noticable (to me) in Vol. 3 as compared to previous chapters.
LevitatingLadybug

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's gone back to using black lineart >.> Remember WAY back when it used to be black, then she switched to colours because she felt they made the characters 'fit' more with the background.

Also first-time poster, on the new forums anyway. Seriously long-time lurker here XD
YatesOfYore
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cookie for the Ladybug Wink Got it in one go.

Although Mr. Time Sensitive Dragon isn't wrong either... back in the early days of the comic I rarely if ever had a borderless panel. (And thank you for the compliments, btw)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Plot, Character, and Current Page Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: