FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

SNOW!!!

Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: SNOW!!! Reply with quote

Okay, ladies and gents, let's talk snow.

I love snow. LOVE. IT.

^_________________^

SO much fun. Probably a hold-over from my formative years in Connecticut, but winter doesn't seem right without drifts up to my waist. And it's been a LONG time since I experienced that. ^___^

We were supposed to get 3-8 inches over the weekend... got nearly 24 inches instead. Roads were nearly shut down. Fortunately, since it was snowing heavily on Saturday, we didn't have to drive - we walked to shul (synagogue) in the snow. There were one or two cars out and about, and snow-plows were trying to do their jobs - we walked in the tire tracks. The sidewalks were still flush with the rest of the snow. My dad left ahead of us, at 8 am, and snow-shoed to shul. He broke a trail for us down the hillside, since that was safer than trying to find the stairs. It was incredible fun bounding through the snow on the way to the street, and from the street back to the sidewalk in front of the shul. I would have stayed in the deep drifts, but we actually had somewhere to be, so I limited myself.

*happy sigh* I love winter.

Who else got massive snow? Who else has stories to share?

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love snow. Winter is not worth it without it.

Unfortunately, it rarely snows where I live. Mostly, we just get ice. Once, when I was nine, my parents went away for a weekend and left us with my grandparents, and we all got snowed in. I remember sitting and watching the snowplows go by and jumping in the drifts they made. Three years later we got a horrendous ice storm. People were without power for weeks and the ice was so thick that you could jump on it and slide down a hill (which we did, since sledding was denied us for the year) My family was lucky to only be without power for about 16 hours, since we had no way of heating our house (since it never snowed much, we never saw need for a fireplace). To keep warm we bundled up in blankets and stuffed our cats under the covers (cats are like little furnaces).

This year was a break in a four or five year stretch with no snow at all. Yay snow! ^^
Kaden

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still like snow but I remember liking it so much more when I was younger. I still like to see it snow and the day after, but now I seem to notice the week later when its half melted and gray more each year. We got about a foot this weekend and it should stick around for awhile so I'll enjoy it while it sticks.

As for stories...

My parents house is by a self storage place, and each time it snowed they had their lot plowed. The person plowing pushed all the snow to the back in two huge piles. So when there was a foot of snow we would have a mountain of snow about 10 feet high where they dumped it out of the way. We would hollow it out and build forts to play in until it started to melt.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No snow from the most recent storm, dubbed "Snowmaggedon" by President Obama. If nothing else, I adore him for that comment alone. ^_^

However, I have a few stories! When I was young, I was in Kentucky with my father. Back in '94, I think? Anyway, there was a horrendous winter storm that shut down almost every road in the eastern part of the country. We eventually were allowed to head home, but I actually spent my birthday in Kentucky at a gun show. My father makes and sells firearms, you see.

Anyhow, while we were in Kentucky one of the older men selling his wares went out and bought me a very large set of plastic army men, tanks, and so on. It was the only birthday gift I received on my actual birthday (and I had grown pretty bored, as I had explored the entire show). I played with them for the next few days, until the interstate opened again.

On our way home (slowly), the roads were still covered in snow and ice. We were driving an '88 Honda Accord, and we drove on slowly as we went. Slow and careful, my father said. As we were driving, a bright red Honda Prelude blew past us doing the speed limit. We took bets as to how far ahead the car would be in the snow bank. My bet won, at only two miles. A fairly strong turn, no bank on the curve (NASCAR has banked curves, for example), just before a bridge. The car was buried to the rear door, and the trunk had been popped. Someone had already stopped to help him, so we continued on.

I had another story, but I've since forgotten it. There are others, but some aren't even remotely forum-appropriate. Hah. Anyway, since I'm now down with my annual winter cold, I'm going to bed. Razz

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was little we lived in Connecticut. We had one of those long driveways that opens out at the back, and at the head of the driveway was a stand of pine trees. You know how pine branches bow down under the weight of the snow? My brother and I used to crawl under the branches and fortify ourselves there. Our driveway was also bracketed by two banks of ivy, and when it snowed, they were taller than our heads. We used to hurl ourselves into the snowbanks and make thrones for ourselves, since the snow compacted, but not all the way. ^____^

On the other hand, ice is not fun, unless it's inside a rink. We had a massive ice storm several years back, and my town's very hilly. So that plus ice lead to many collisions, sliding out of control, and closed schools. Except mine of course. We were still open, and expected to attend. *rolls eyes* Ha, but the great part is that when we got there the parking lot had been completely coated in a couple inches of ice, and the Rabbi and his son were out there playing ice hockey!

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a red cedar tree next to our driveway that would always split in half when there was ice or snow. We used to judge how bad the weather was by how close the tips were to touching the ground.
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind a little snow, but when the country shuts down because of it, it annoys me. And when my g/f is housebound by it because her wheelchair gets no grip on it, it really kind of bothers me...
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of my drive today (about 200 miles) was in near-white-out conditions. It wasn't actually snowing, but there was a stiff wind blowing loose snow off the fields on either side of the highway. Not fun. Thankfully the road was almost 100% straight, there was little traffic, and the snow plows were out and busily clearing off the drifts.

Since I am shortly going to be living in Grand Forks, I expect to become intimately familiar with winter driving. -_-
Tenshi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Tin: By "intimately familiar" you mean "driven to madness by" I take it?

I just remembered one!

When I was younger (I mean, all stories have this element, but I mean much younger) and our recently-passed Molly (a mix of winter dog breeds) was just a young pup, we had our first good winter snow of her life. It snowed probably two feet or so, and we went outside that morning. She ran all the way to the edge of the porch, then stopped as if slamming on her brakes. She stood there for a few moments, staring into the white yonder with the most confused of expressions. Then to urge her on, I jumped down off the porch and into the mix.

She bounded in after me, leaping at full gallop off the porch and into the snow in the yard.... and promptly disappeared. The momentum and impact covered her completely in snow, and I panicked for a moment. What if she had broken a leg or something, and was trapped? What if it was heavy? Would she suffocate? (I was young, remember).

Then she breached like a dolphin, bursting forward out of the snow and up into the air...only to fall back into it, completely covering her. She continued this all up and down the yard, her mouth open and tongue hanging out as much as it ever did. She had A BLAST in her first snow, and she even helped me shovel the sidewalk by plowing through the sides of the lane and making more snow fall into my freshly shoveled plot.

^_^ Good memories. Not too many dogs like her, unfortunately. A truly happy, gentle soul.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Lani

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in Iceland.

*shudders*

Durn, that place was freezing on a stick! (and if anyone comments about Iceland being called that because it's cold and the Nords wanted everyone to haul over to Greenland, I will happily poodle you. It frankly ain't true.)

However, I do have vivid memories of riding my bike in a hailstorm, or caroling in sleet, and going to church in the middle of a white-out blizzard.

I now posses a Bachelor of Science in secondary education. I am excited.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: