FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Survey Says...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Maeniel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Survey Says... Reply with quote

Hey gang! I need mondo help. We're conducting research for class, and we need a lot of responses! This is a survey for people living in America between the ages of 18 and 25. It's about insurance--but I'm sure that won't deter you, will it? Wink It's 10 completely anonymous questions, and I'd REALLY appreciate any help I can get! Smile

LINKY

On a related note, (completely not anything that I need for class, but rather to justify an entirely new thread Razz ) what are your views on insurance? Do you even really need it, or is it just a big scam?
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm in America, but outside the specified age range. Too bad.

And ... what kind of insurance? There are a lot of different types you know. Car insurance, damage-during-shipping insurance, renter's insurance, home-owner's insurance, life insurance, health insurance, liability insurance, retirement insurance ... the list goes on.
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you plan on limiting respondents to the desired group?

Your study is not rigorous...
Maeniel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Space: There's a question on age and a question on what state you live in. anybody who doesn't put in a real state or enters a number between 18 and 25 gets their answers thrown out. I suppose people could forge those...but we have to rely on people's honesty. No it's not a rigorous study, but it'll give us what we need. (I didn't create it. I just need to distribute it.)

Tin: We're looking at car insurance and renter's insurance specifically. I think renter's insurance is really interesting because it's LIKE homeowner's insurance in that it covers you if something gets stolen--but it'll cover something like your laptop if it gets stolen outside of the place you're renting. It also covers anybody who gets hurt in the place you rent, and anything of THEIRS that gets broken/damaged at your place. Pretty nifty. Of course, that kind of coverage depends on what company you choose etc...but I think most of that is covered in basic renter's insurance.
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Well, I've never owned a car, so I've never had car insurance other than getting added to my parents' car insurance when I was a teen. So I don't really know anything about that.

As for renter's insurance - never had that either. I thought about it at one point down in Austin, but although it was pretty cheap, I came to the conclusion I couldn't afford it, and went without for five years.

So there you go! ^_^
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I took your survey, but I don't have a car, don't pay for expenses, and am a complete dependent on my parents. Sorry for throwing your data. ^_^ I like doing things like that, though, so...

There was once a grad student who came into my psych class and handed out a survey for us to fill out to help her gather data for her thesis whatever. It was all about... hmm...adult activities, and how young you were when you started, and frequency, etc. I won't go into details, but her questions were heavily statistically biased, and I bet I really threw a wrench in her data. I get tickles still thinking about it. Asa the Outlier. ^_^

I mean, really. "Male, Female, or Other"? A lot of her questions were along the same lines of "When did you stop beating your wife?"

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's one thing that basically everybody lies about, it's "adult activities". That would account for the "when did you stop beating your wife" type questions: they were likely sanity-check questions designed to help reveal which respondents lied (or "exaggerated") their responses to earlier questions.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the grad student told you she was studying "adult activities" when in fact she was actually studying something entirely different. It's a standard and well-accepted practice in social science research to lie to the participants about what the subject of the study is. People want to please the researcher, and so they will give the answers they think the researcher wants, which automatically produces an skewed, unrepresentative response. Concealing the purpose of the study from the participants (and often from the people who actually administer the survey/test/whatever) helps eliminate that.
Maeniel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asa wrote:
Well, I took your survey, but I don't have a car, don't pay for expenses, and am a complete dependent on my parents. Sorry for throwing your data. ^_^ I like doing things like that, though, so...

It's okay! Even if you don't think you're the norm, you're still representative of probably a significant population. Smile That's still something we need to know.

Asa wrote:
I mean, really. "Male, Female, or Other"? A lot of her questions were along the same lines of "When did you stop beating your wife?"

Well, not everyone is male or female. Not even genetically or physically. Somebody's sexual identity can also be something other than m/f. Smile
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, no, not in this case. perhaps people did, but I didn't, and the bias was a complete lack of "never" or "zero" options. Made it kinda hard to answer questions. Maybe she was studying something else, but I can't imagine what. Her questions were pretty one-track.

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
Nem

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, Nem thinks most studies like that are more about finding the data to back the researcher's politics up rather than finding, 'the truth.' >_>
- Issa
Asa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mane ninja'd me - my post was in reply to Tin. Mane, I took it to mean one's physical shape, which we've labelled male and female. I know some people identify with the other one, but there's still only two. The likelihood of a college sophmore being a hermaphrodite is vanishingly small, so... one or the other. That was my point.

Nem, I'm almost positive you're right. The nature of her questions was biased, as I said - she was looking for proof that all teenagers are active, and have been for years.

spellingmistax

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post is currently undergoing editing, it has been removed for the benefit of those who enjoy reading correctly written/spelled English. I will repost it when I finish editing. Anthrax apologizes for the necessity of this.

while Udina asked the usual inane civilian things that came about while under attack: "What's happening? Who is shooting at us? I'm squishy and not wearing armor and I'm a liability, get me to safety, etc.
dubbed Anthrax by Asa
Spellingmistax = mistax = ax = anthrax

Last edited by spellingmistax on Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Asa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh help, your post is killing me.

I think that simply by the fact we use language, it biases questions one way or another. I suppose you could say, "Do you want an industrial park next to your home," but that in its stark simplicity gives a negative connotation.

spellingmistax

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can delete it if it helps.

The examples given where extreme, and it is possible that an entire questioner can be written in a bias manner, with no single question being obviously bias. While there are very few areas where there is no bias, it is possible to limit it when writing a survey.

while Udina asked the usual inane civilian things that came about while under attack: "What's happening? Who is shooting at us? I'm squishy and not wearing armor and I'm a liability, get me to safety, etc.
dubbed Anthrax by Asa
Spellingmistax = mistax = ax = anthrax
Asa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*covers eyes and waves hand blindly* No, don't delete it, just... fix it!

Sorry, my love affair with English is coming to the fore. I'll try to restrain myself in future. *shudders*

Okay. There's unconscious bias, and then there's 'I'm looking for a specific answer and nothing will stop me' bias. For example, Mane's survey has what amounts to unconscious bias, because it assumed possession of car insurance - but for the most part he also had the 'does not apply' option, which allowed out of the bind. So it was a simple survey, and I presume it does its job.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: