FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

HP 6!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

PurpleCactusPlant

Location: 2010 Olympics (Please enjoy them, b/c I am paying for them).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope to be able to see it tonight - I tried to see the midnight show last night, but it was sold out as of last week, apparently. I haven't liked the majority of the movies (3 and 4 were the only good ones for me), but I'm easily influenced by hype Smile
Miho

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooo...
saw it tonight.
It was pretty alright. There were some scenes that I was a little put off by, but all in all, it was pretty good and there were some BEA-U-Tiful shots.
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my book, it's a mark of professionalism to do something interesting with the credits. The gimmick of using memory-ink as the background for the credits was clever, but didn't leave them much room for variation. Unadorned ink swirls do make it more interesting to watch the credits, but get boring fast.

On a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is a completely dull credit sequence composed of nothing but scrolling words, and a 10 is Wall-E's recapitulation of the whole history of human art from cave paintings through to 8-bit digital graphics -- I give the ink swirls a 3.

Other than that, it was a pretty good film. I just wish my parents hadn't insisted on showing up early for it. Before the movie actually started, we had to sit through:

- Eight repetitions of a stupid 2-minute-long movie quiz
- Nearly 20 minutes of mindless advertising attempting to pass itself off as a "pre movie show"
- 15 minutes of previews for upcoming movies, of which one looked moderately interesting, and all the others were clearly worthless drek

Bleh. I did enjoy the movie. It was pretty good. Sorry to belly ache at you all.
Virturealm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo. Lots of stuff got cut from this one. Including.....most of the fight scenes? ....t's a bit odd. I still think I like what it's doing though, compared to the early ones.

I found the part at the end amusing though. When Snape does the title drop, and you can see Harry thinking "What? Oh right, we sort of forgot about that whole subplot" and then Snape looks at Harry with a look of UTMOST DISDAIN.
__|..|..|__|
PurpleCactusPlant

Location: 2010 Olympics (Please enjoy them, b/c I am paying for them).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol - I noticed the same thing. Yeesh, if the movie is going to be called "Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince" you need to make a big deal about it. I read a recent review where the critic wrote "It's like Alan Rickman made a bet with himself that he could star in a whole series of movies and keep the same expression on his face the entire time." So true! He is the king of the disdain face!
So I did see the movie, and I felt as though I had yet again seen another Potter montage. I wish these movies would actually create a central plot line rather than tell a story through fragments because the director feels the overwhelming desire to pack in as much from the book as possible. (And yet he somehow managed to miss the main story in the book - mainly Harry getting to know his enemies - Voldemort, and to a lessor extent, Snape.) The snogging subplot was awesome though!
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virturealm wrote:
Woo. Lots of stuff got cut from this one. Including.....most of the fight scenes?

My sister complained because it seemed like they were trying to add action by destroying the Weasly house - but yet they left out all the action? What?
YatesOfYore
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts exactly. To everyone. It was alright, but most of the characters seemed really toned down. Slughorn I was expecting to be a more of the jovial life-of-the-party type and he just wasn't. Even Dumbledore was a little off somehow (though I can't quite put my finger on why). And Ron looked and acted like a neanderthal throughout. Haircut, please?

But yes, they did the whole snogging thing with Ron and Lavendar perfectly... and yet managed to bungle the Harry/Ginny thing. I was looking forward to that.

And helloooooo? Why did you MAKE UP a scene about the Weasley's house being attacked and burned for no real reason other than "hey, we're death eaters - we're MEAN, so yeah" and then LEAVE OUT the fight between the Order of the Phoenix and the Death Eaters at Hogwarts? They seriously just strolled out of the castle while Harry sort of whined at them as they left and Snape sort of remembered to say "Hey, I'm the half-blood prince, btw".

Very anti-climatic. I wanted some serious drama to go down. I didn't even get misty eyed when Dumbledore died and I was totally expecting to. No Hagrid carrying him back into the castle crying? C'mon!

I didn't mind them leaving out the other memories, though they kind of were the whole point of that book, but I guess so long as they establish the Horcrux issue, then they did what they needed to.

Meh.
Virturealm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinu. wrote:
Virturealm wrote:
Woo. Lots of stuff got cut from this one. Including.....most of the fight scenes?

My sister complained because it seemed like they were trying to add action by destroying the Weasly house - but yet they left out all the action? What?

Oh. Well, my memory of the books isn't great. Particularly six. I didn't remember the field scene at all, and then I saw Greyback, and thought, "Ah this must be his intro fight." especially, as they'd just been talking about werewolves, and Lupin was first on the scene. And then they ran away and blew up a house. *shrugs* I had assumed they cut something there, but maybe it was the opposite.
__|..|..|__|
ichigoli

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there were a fair few flaws in this film... If they were trying to stay true to the book they kind of failed... but I think over all, as a movie BASED on a book they did a decent job...

The Pros:
Some of the BEST dramatic shots so far

Funniest sequences ^_^

A beautiful *lucky/drunk* Harry act (best part of the movie over all)

Beautiful CGI. especially the smoky memory forming... lovely and an awesome effect... very different from the first memory shtick... Same goes for the Infiri and the Apparation scenes...

Better magic effect... less sparkling and more rippling and distortion like in the bathroom scene. It doesn't have to be a light show to get the point that they're using magic across. I liked it much better.

Tom Felton (Draco) got to do more faces than "sulk" and "be a prick" he got to cry and freak out too

in the zooming over Trafalgar Square into Diagon ally I was able to mentally place the entrance on a map ^_^ my tour bus went right up that first street! Same goes for the Millennium bridge. (the one they bust)

The Cons: (other than previously mentioned)

The Cast for Tom Riddle was way off... he was too perfect and smooth... I saw a fan vid made a few years ago (meet Tom Riddle) where they cast the boy who played Edmund in Narnia as Young Tom and it lead up through his life using scenes from the same actor who plays Tom grown up in his other movies (red dragon is one i believe) I loved that way better... This kid's acting was way stiff

Hermione and Ron subplot was decent but could have been soooooo much better.

Lavender reminded me of the orange one from Ella Enchanted... ^_^ still good but every scene pissed me off...

poor liddle white birdy (but i guess it got the message across that the cabinet wasn't safe)

Harry wasn't paralyzed and hidden under the cloak in the tower scene... he "could" have done something (ooc)... they shouldn't have given him that freedom. it's so much more emotional that he physically couldn't do a thing than if he didn't because he was told not to...

Missed the 'levitating ron' scene... i was looking forward to that...

Otherwise a decent movie that if you weren't in it for the true-to-plot reason was an awesome movie. Funny, scary, serious and emotional. i give it a thumbs up.
[/img][/url]
Tinu.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Ink: Oh how I detest Ella Enchanted. My entire childhood, ruined! D:
(That is a perfect comparison though.)

Virturealm wrote:
Tinu. wrote:
Virturealm wrote:

Oh. Well, my memory of the books isn't great. Particularly six. I didn't remember the field scene at all, and then I saw Greyback, and thought, "Ah this must be his intro fight." especially, as they'd just been talking about werewolves, and Lupin was first on the scene. And then they ran away and blew up a house. *shrugs* I had assumed they cut something there, but maybe it was the opposite.

I didn't remember most of the book. I remembered horcruxes and Dumbledore's death, and that was about it. But at that particular part I was thinking "Wait, isn't there supposed to be another werewolf here . . .?" It was just odd . . .
YatesOfYore
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fenrir won the "Darth Maul" award for being the villain that kept being prominently featured as if he were important and yet was completely unexplained/ignored. It wasn't even mentioned that he was a werewolf. Although I guess since we're never ever going to see Charlie in these movies (apparently) it doesn't really matter.... but then stop giving him all this screen time and then not explaining him!

Also, did they have to make Tonks look like a plain jane? Reeeally bad haircut to boot.

I also totally agree with ichigoli on Tom Riddle. A little too cutesy. And why not just use the teen Voldemort they had from Chamber of Secrets? The kid they had looked like a 5 year old pretending to be 15.

[/gripefest... for now]
DarkwingPsycho

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to agree with all of you. I haven't read the book since it was released, and even then I admit I was so excited to read it I rushed through it. I remember being VERY moved by it, though, because you DID really get to know certain characters a LOT better. I bawled when Dumbledore died.

I care nothing for Michael Gamdon's acting, as I don't think anyone can ever replace Richard Harris, and expected not to really care much when he was killed in the movie. I will admit that I DID cry, however. Despite how different it was from the book, I was moved by the method in which Dumbledore was mourned, even if it felt rushed.

Lucky/Drunk Harry was hilarious, and I loved the whole Ron/Lavendar bit. Especially the hospital scene. I SO wanted to Gryffindors to sing "Weasley is Our King" during the Quidditch match, but ah well. Luna cracked me up, too. XD

I teared up when the Burrow was burnt down. I didn't mind it being in the movie, but I had no clue how the Death Eaters knew exactly where they were.

I thought the ending was a bit too sappy for such a dark time in the wizarding world. All in all, though, I liked the overall use of cinematography and lighting, and the themes both of those produced in the movie. The music was hauntingly beautiful, too. I bought it straight away. Smile

YatesOfYore
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually felt that music was way underused in this movie. There were quite a few moments in it when I noticed that there was no music AT ALL, when it definitely could have used it.

So yes, music they had was good, but could have been put to better use.
Squeeself

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering music is often overused in movies, Squee felt that the sound track of this movie did a better job than most, imho. Not just the music either, the entire soundscape seemed very carefully crafted. It really helped the feel of the movie, and the feel was what really sold it, or it would've been a bit of a flop Razz

Honestly thought the end was off. As ichigoli mentioned, they should've kept in Harry being helpless. Would've made it all the more engrossing having a main character get killed. Even knowing it was coming, there was no real sense of danger or suspense leading up to his death, which could have really elevated the film from a "worth watching if you like Harry Potter" to a good film in its own right. The horocrux (or however its spelled) scene was far more powerful in its suspense and danger, with a good payoff. The death scene only had payoff, not a good buildup, which made what should be the strongest scene in the movie the weakest instead Sad
Rechaana

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they've been doing this in every movie, but I definitely felt that they altered Harry's character to fit the whole awkward teenager form. He was a lot more hotheaded in the book, but I guess it's easier to identify with him now?

I don't think they really established the Horcruxes that well. Yes, there are six of them, but the significance of the locket was never really explained. Of course, in the book the logic behind Voldemort picking historical objects was "he's dramatic like that" so maybe they had to.

Also, why does Slughorn seem half-senile? I seem to remember him being a lot more...vivacious.

Dubbed Rachel by Asa
rechaana = Rech = Rach = Rachel
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: