FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Washing your hair... with cancer.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Nem

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devilman2045 wrote:
All I am saying is almost every moderator had posted on that thread. And yet there it sits, unalterd.... That's right folks, all swearing, farts, and Nudity intact.... Exclamation

When you're moderating you have to decide how you're going to deal with people, and generally you wish to do it causing as little damage to the society you’re trying to protect as possible. Maybe as people object to their attitude with a word about their behaviour here and a small prod there the user can in time turn into a productive member of the forum, learn by the examples and reactions of those around them. That is generally the reason that some people are allowed to retain some posts that are in poor taste, especially when they have a low post count or little time in the community. Obviously over time the standards of behavior expected of a user swing closer to the rules, if the user shows little or no sign of improvement the issue eventually escalates, first to editing, then to temp bans, and so on. The exact speed at which that happens varying depending on the forum and the makeup of their staff structure.

I don't see any swearing in the post you’ve reference, farts aren’t possible to transmit by such a medium, I don’t remember seeing any nudity in that thread, (and if I'd seen you posting any a ban would have been inbound so I'm not quite sure what you're going on about there.) Still I'll recommend you're given less of the benefit of the doubt in future if it helps your concern.

devilman2045 wrote:
Besides I don't see what gives you the right to edit anything of mine after giving me that little freedom to talk speech here http://earthsongsaga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2810

I said you're conventionally allowed it; that doesn't mean I believe you should have it. That’s just not how language works.

As to what gives me the right? Nothing. I’m a nihilist; I don’t even really understand what you mean by a moral right as a metaethical construct. It seems to be a term devoid of referent, and in that much doesn’t preserve a truth value. Of course a similar weight of nothing gives me the right to ignore it. But I’ve the ward of the relevant powers, so the only real question is to what ends I choose to employ them; for the order of the body politic or to its detriment. I like it here, I like most of the people and I like the atmosphere, so I've selected the former option.
- Issa
devilman2045

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devilman2045 wrote:
theBSDude wrote:
Uh... maybe 'cause you're acting like kind of a asdfgh.

I wonder how someone can call me a asdfgh,... and I get accused of swearing,.... I'm just left wondering what hell everyone's problem is. Besides last time I checked, you and I were having a nice little conversation, very civil in fact, until nem joined in.

EDIT by Maeniel for swearing.

Hey,... look at that. Thanks Maeniel,... how come nem doesn't use little yellow quote markers,.....
devilman2045

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Nem"]
devilman2045 wrote:
All I am saying is almost every moderator had posted on that thread. And yet there it sits, unalterd.... That's right folks, all swearing, farts, and Nudity intact.... Exclamation

That was a little joke,..... I assumed Tinu got it when he immediatly referenced the FCC.

Besides, I fail to see how you've gone through like 12 pages of stuff in the last 5 minutes.

devilman2045 wrote:
Besides I don't see what gives you the right to edit anything of mine after giving me that little freedom to talk speech here http://earthsongsaga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2810

Another quetion,... if you ban me from the forums, does the front page get taken away from me to? Cause you know,.... it would be a shame to lose the oppertunity to read such art.
Maeniel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ devilman: please don't call Nem's character into question. Every mod was picked by the Lady to act as she would see fit. If you question any of our decisions, please feel free to PM either them, another mod, or the Lady. This particular thread is not the place for it. This thread is for discussing this particular website and, should the discussion expand this way, toxicity of products in general or even hair/body/fragrance products.

Just as a warning to everyone, further off-topic posts in this thread may result in their deletion or even the thread being locked. Please PM me, the Lady, or another mod if you believe this is unjust.

On-topic:

Tinu, I think you're completely right. These chemicals kinda just rest on your skin, which I don't think is too TERRIBLY harmful...but if you think about it, those suds can get into your eyes, or you can breathe those fragrances in. Also, these studies tend to be purely these chemicals--not necessarily these products. Still, it's probably a good idea to limit yourself to the less harmful products.

I actually showed this site to one of my friends, and she's switching from Aussie to TRESemme. Smile 10 to 5!
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devilman2045 wrote:

That was a little joke,..... I assumed Tinu got it when he immediatly referenced the FCC.

Um . . . I'm a she. =/

Well, I don't know about resting exactly. From what I've heard of it, the skin acts like a sponge and absorbs things - at least, I was always warned not to write on myself or else I'd get ink poisoning. So, caution would still be wise. It is in most cases though. ^^
devilman2045

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinu. wrote:
devilman2045 wrote:

Um . . . I'm a she. =/

bout them chemicals,... they's made me all insane in the membrane you know.... to much shampooing of my hair and all must make it hard to tell that your a chick,... kind of hard to tell online sometimes,.... srry,....

I'll just find a better laundry soap.....
Squeeself

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who used to administrate a much larger forum (and more volatile and broader user base), Squee'll point out that being a moderator is no easy task. Give the man a little break, Nem's been acting in good faith as far as Squee is concerned. Your average moderator would rather delete than take the extra time to simply edit, to ignore his actions rather than explain.

In the end, it's hardly a big deal if some random person on the net edits your post...chill out a bit and come later. Now, if he were consistently editing your posts for no good reason, there would be cause for complaint--directly to the Lady--but Squee finds it ironic that you were complaining that he didn't edit previous posts of yours? Just let it go unless it becomes a problem

Also, totally blown this topic off course now...So, back on topic, Squee pretty much agrees with much of your points about the product makeups devilman. Too often it becomes like that story about Dihydrogen Monoxide causing more deaths than any other substance known to man. It's too easy to let the big words and misleading examples flub you up to what's actually going on: while everything may be true, it's been spun to make things look worse than it actually is. Why? While sually for profit, sometimes it's just because of untrained people misunderstanding and doing bad science. Pseudoscience has become the bane of reason in the modern world.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear a suburb in L.A. tried to ban Dihydrogen Monoxide and the movement only failed by one vote. People should take more chemistry classes. ^^
Squeeself

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep...it's sadly one of those true stories:

http://www.snopes.com/science/dhmo.asp

In fact, the snopes article even addresses this very topic of ingredients being overhyped. Squee quotes directly from snopes.com:

"That said, this example does aptly demonstrate the kind of fallacious reasoning that's thrust at us every day under the guise of "important information": how with a little effort, even the most innocuous of substances can be made to sound like a dangerous threat to human life. We still see scarelore based on this principle, such as ominous warnings that sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), a common foaming ingredient used in shampoos, causes cancer, with the "proof" being that this caustic chemical is also used to scrub garage floors."
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhmo.org has got chemistry teachers before now...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: