FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Camping/nature
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Allicat

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: Camping/nature Reply with quote

Continued from the Today thread;

Tinalles wrote:
Even if you've lived in cities your entire life, it's hard to avoid learning at least a little bit about how farms work (in theory at least).

I'm afraid I beg to differ. I grew up in a rural area so I'm well aware of moo-cows and baa-sheep and the meat which comes from them, but some inner city families refuse to tell their children where sausages come from for fear that they will be traumatised. Honestly! I think it was Jamie Oliver and his campaign to improve school dinners who highlighted this, but I found it incredible. Why let your children live in such ignorance?
I remenber going to a farm to pick up a turkey for Christmas dinner, and I saw it's neck wrung right in front of me. I knew though. I'd grown up knowing where our food came from and as such I'm remarkably un-squeamish.

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Nem

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reminded of a story of a couple who went to the doctor to try and work out why she wasn't getting pregnant. Turns out they weren't doing anything.

I mean you think people live in roughly the same pool of basic information as each other but.... *shrugle*
- Issa
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't even remember who it was that asked for camping advice but here's mine:

The area around rivers and lakes look like pretty places to camp but don't pitch too close or else the bugs will eat you alive and leeches can and will get into your tent.
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't tar us all with the same brush, tin. You just happened across a lot of citified people. Some of us have lived in the countryside most of our lives Wink
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wait till I bring out the feathers to go with the tar. ^_^

And Nem, the "Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it" philosophy makes little sense when it comes to camping. It leads to packing a lot of useless junk which you're not really going to need.

If you're hauling your stuff by car, that's just time consuming. If you're hauling all your stuff on your back, it's downright crazy to add any weight you don't absolutely need. I know people who drill holes in the handle of their toothbrushes just to cut back on the weight they have to pack on the trail.

It is a good idea to have a sharp knife when you go camping, but is much more likely to be used for cooking, cutting rope and things, or whittling than anything else. The chances of needing to use it against an animal or a person are minuscule. Particularly in Britain, where the largest carnivore is a fox. As for guns, unless you're going hunting there's really no point.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad works for the USDA, so I've known about this stuff all my life. That and I was born in the sticks and moved to live in a relatively rural area. If you leave the main road you will find either cow pastures or a field of some sort. I was also a curious child, so I figured out things very quickly. I can't imagine someone not knowing that. I mean, I know it's shocking how little some people know, but how can you completely avoid somethings - be it words or subjects - for so long?

Camping advice: Don't pitch your tent on a hill, bring a tarp to put under it, and do NOT put anything against the walls of your tent (in or out). It's not fun to wake up soaked, believe me, I know.
Tyris

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinalles wrote:
[snip] Britain, where the largest carnivore is a fox.
That, and the occasional escaped puma or panther.

"It's a sad thing when a man loses his cookie." - Nem
theBSDude

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puma=cougar, doesn't it? That's what we call 'em 'ere in the West.

We actually have to deal with those: If a cougar approaches, stand up and make yourself look as big as possible. Don't take your eyes off it, or try to run. They don't like to fight, so try to find a stick.

TheBSDude, dubbed 'BS' by Asa and nicknamed 'Thebes.'
Keeper of the Tristam, The Amazing Non-Emo Vampire!(tm) and a Massive List of Webcomics.

"I'm like a ninja with no hopes or dreams." --Wally of Dilbert
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always bring a well-equipped pen-knife with me when camping. But then, I always have a small one on me at all times when I'm not on an aircraft (just a 1-inch blade, scissors, tweezers, file/screwdriver and toothpick, handy for removing loose threads, clipping nails etc). But yeah, camping in this country takes significantly less precautions than most.

But the precautions you take really depends on what you call camping. Are you popping out to the wilderness for a week with no supplies and no means to stock up, or going to a little local campsite with showers and a shop on-site?
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theBSDude wrote:
Puma=cougar, doesn't it? That's what we call 'em 'ere in the West.

We actually have to deal with those: If a cougar approaches, stand up and make yourself look as big as possible. Don't take your eyes off it, or try to run. They don't like to fight, so try to find a stick.

Ohh, we have those too. They rarely come as far down as where I live, but they have them in the mini-mountains nearby and in the Appalachians - anywhere with hills big enough basically. My uncle stayed in a house once that had a cougar rug - it's a bit scarring for a child . . .
Nem

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinalles wrote:
And Nem, the "Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it" philosophy makes little sense when it comes to camping. It leads to packing a lot of useless junk which you're not really going to need.

If you're hauling your stuff by car, that's just time consuming. If you're hauling all your stuff on your back, it's downright crazy to add any weight you don't absolutely need. I know people who drill holes in the handle of their toothbrushes just to cut back on the weight they have to pack on the trail.

Well yeah, but all you really need for most camping is a knife and a bit of know how; you certainly don't need a toothbrush or deodorant, and you can get by on one change of clothing for a couple of months easily enough. When you start cashing out need it's a relative consideration - need this thing here for this thing over here. In the case I was talking about need gun if presented by thing that's going to try and harm you to help ensure survival. Is it an absolute rule; are everyone's highest values the same? Of course not. Some people just don’t value their lives that much compared to the probability of needing one, or have an absolute lower value on their lives, or a higher value on the life of other living things, or thing guns are cowardly weapons; any one of which go into the decision as to whether to bring one. Still if you go somewhere you had the option to be armed and get killed and/or eaten because you thought it was too heavy, or that it would never happen to you - well I don't have much sympathy for people who don't wear seatbelts. True it's not necessary for a safe trip, if you drive properly and no-one does anything stupid, but every few out of a hundred thousand car trips someone's glad they did.

Tinalles wrote:
It is a good idea to have a sharp knife when you go camping, but is much more likely to be used for cooking, cutting rope and things, or whittling than anything else. The chances of needing to use it against an animal or a person are minuscule. Particularly in Britain, where the largest carnivore is a fox.

I don't really think I inferred what a sharp knife would be used for.
- Issa
theBSDude

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinu. wrote:
Ohh, we have those too.

I should think so; it's the largest-ranging land animal in the world, if I remember right. All the way from Alaska to Argentina. It's got like 15 different names or something.

TheBSDude, dubbed 'BS' by Asa and nicknamed 'Thebes.'
Keeper of the Tristam, The Amazing Non-Emo Vampire!(tm) and a Massive List of Webcomics.

"I'm like a ninja with no hopes or dreams." --Wally of Dilbert
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Popular cat.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...And all of this is useless to Fable.

Unless she's already gone, here's my advice:

Take a tent. Take a tarp to put under it with grommets in the corners to stake it down. Take a sleeping bag. Take a book or two and a book light, and extra batteries. If you're going with your whole class, presumably most of the important stuff has been taken care of.

Don't keep snacks in your tent. Don't worry about bears and large animals; if you're camping in a developed campground the rangers will be on watch and the likelihood of an invasion is minuscule. Now, small critters like raccoons are more of an issue, so don't leave any food lying about. Pack it all in the car. Don't leave the lights on in the car, it will drain the battery.

Take a fire-starter and lots of matches, or lighter fluid and a torch if you're wimp.

Take lots of bug spray. Don't worry about showering, you're camping, for goodness sake. And the showers at campgrounds are awful, and it's better wait than risk using them. *shudder*

Have fun! I love camping. I haven't gone in forever, and I miss it.

Oh, and Space wrote:
...at all times except when on an airplane

I carry a pocket-knife with me too, even in the airport, and I've never set off the alarms. Actually, I usually keep in in my purse, which gets shoved in my carry-on, which goes through the scanner, without setting anything off. *shrug* So you're probably safe even there.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably true, Asa, but I wouldn't like to lose it, so I always play it safe and put it in checked luggage. Doesn't hurt anybody. It's normally attached to my wallet, which is in turn attached (discreetly) to my belt.

Oh, and if you have a decent tent, it should have a built-in ground sheet Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: