FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

The Final Stand

Magus Gar Kan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: The Final Stand Reply with quote

Part 1
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whew, I made it. I probably didn't need to run, the infected are far enough away. But I can hear their cries on the wind as I run up the steps to the bunker. Catching my breath I allow the guards to check for infection, I'm clean. There aren't as many survivors as I thought. Less than the hundred that were reported alive earlier.

I check my watch, it's 2220, almost 40 minutes till the last evac helicopters arrive. I look around to the others, we have quite a mix. Men and women, though niether very young, or very old. The children and the elderly were evacuated when the outbreak occurred, or were taken by the growing horde.

I check my maverick again, making sure that the ammo wont jam. A thin man in a trenchcoat with a wild mane of hair begins to whip the survivors into a crude gun line. The first lines are formed of small arms and the heavy automatics. I take my position in the second rank of small arms and heavier, non-automatics. I know what my job is, provide covering fire to the automatics in front of me. My other job is to be a human shield for the snipers and other long range guns behind me. A pair of young women take position at my back, each sporting a sniper rifle and a bandoleer of grenades.

A few of the survivors attempt to give some inspiring words, borrowed from movies or games we know. I give my own cry of "For the Emperor!" and grin as I see recognition in some of the faces around me. Then the waiting begins. I can see the flashes of lightning from a growing storm behind the towering buildings beyond our perimeter. But the gods are with us, putting the wind at our back.

I'm curious how they will strike. Unlike the creatures found in the countless "B" movies that spring to my mind, these "zombies" aren't mindless and they certainly aren't slow. They are no dumber than they were before they were turned, only now possessed of a feral hunger and no concern for their own safety.

I think back to other battles that have been fought against the zombies, and the tactics they used. In the outbreak of '07 they fought like an ancient army, ranked up to shield themselves and using war cries to try to demoralize the survivors and provoke them into wasting ammo. In '08 they fought like wild predators, dividing into three great packs and surrounding their prey. No survivors came out of that.

Finally I see the zombie horde, coming in a massive and wild charge. No warning, no delay, they come straight for my line. I hold my fire, I waiting until they are in the kill zone. Then I let fly with my maverick. One shot takes out a man in a business suit, my second drops a woman dressed in a sports jersey and sweats. After that it becomes a blur.

The assault dies down, the first wave repelled. Medics rapidly inject antivirus into those that were wounded. It's a temporary measure, and we have little of it, but I'm thankful for it all the same. I reload my maverick. Six shots, five confirmed kills. Not bad, my sixth was part of a volley that vaporized one of them, so I could at best say it was an assist. My humor dries up as I resume my position. We repelled the first wave, but there are more coming.

I check my watch, its 2235, its going to be a long night.

"Nothing is predictable in regards to humans, save for their infuriating ability to do the unexpected."

I'm not dead, just lurking and very very tired.
theBSDude

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Inspired by true events."

TheBSDude, dubbed 'BS' by Asa and nicknamed 'Thebes.'
Keeper of the Tristam, The Amazing Non-Emo Vampire!(tm) and a Massive List of Webcomics.

"I'm like a ninja with no hopes or dreams." --Wally of Dilbert
Magus Gar Kan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part 2
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My knees ache and I stand up, feeling a satisfying pop in my joints. The zombies are advancing slowly. Then I see him...the alpha. He may not be the most fearsome of the creatures, others are faster and stealthier, but still my heart fills with dread. The effect his mere presence has on the other zombies is terrifying, they dance and yell like some savage horde with him as their god. I stifle a laugh thinking of the idea of a zombie rock god. Then the second wave charges forward.

I brace myself, but find few targets. This time the horde has surged to our left flank. Though seemingly equal in number, it is our weaker side, lacking in both automatics and spirit. The line almost breaks but the initial wave is repelled. Through the darkness I see a hulking and familiar form, a friend who was turned during a failed earlier extraction. I lose sight of him in the mass of bodies. I save my shots, a few stragglers try to get to my line, but they are all brought down before getting close.

The zombies are getting smart, they were testing our flank. A lot of them did not advance, hanging back and waiting for the horde to grow. The ones that charged were a sacrifice. Though they failed to breach our lines again, they succeeded in one thing. The medics have run out of antivirus. I fire a shot at the ground in frustration, then curse myself for wasting ammo. Somethings wrong, nothing came out of the barrel. I open up the maverick and realize that I put in the wrong kind of cartrige and now the thing is jammed.

I grab a grenade from the stockpile, while I try to unjam my weapon. At least this way I have something to use. I get the maverick unstuck, just in time to see the zombies surging toward our left again. The flank is too weak, I start to move. The long haired man is shouting "Hold your ground!" and I return to my spot. Like a swarm of insects the zombies move as one, banking left before reaching the kill zone. They come crashing into our lines. I fire again and again into the swarm, lobbing the grenade into their mass as well.

Its over for now, this surge was repelled in full. Only a few zombies remain in sight and they seem to be waiting for more to arrive. The long haired man is giving the order to move out before another wave builds up. The evac's can't reach us here, we need to get to an open area where the extraction point is. They will take off at 2300, with or without us, and there are several zombie infested blocks to run through. I check my watch again as I start grabbing up spare ammo.

2240, only 20 minutes. I am not looking forward to this.

"Nothing is predictable in regards to humans, save for their infuriating ability to do the unexpected."

I'm not dead, just lurking and very very tired.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Written Word All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: