FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

People are insane.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find fanatical pros almost as scary as fanatical antis - the devoted belief that your chosen object of affection can do no wrong whatsoever is worrying.

BUt what's worse still are fanbases which not only have both, but where both are present in the same community... The Dominic Deegan community is scary that way....
Ravenna

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I am not fond of Twilight and have read it. I wouldn't give it a glowing report, but I do get digs on occasion for liking Stargate Atlantis, so what the hey.

Still, it's no reason to turn batflap insane at people who don't agree. I'm actually quite freaked out by some of the arguments that get hocked up in Avatar communities, especially for shipping and the Shamallama film. Shipping wars are TERRIFYING.
YatesOfYore
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never read it and I'm kind of ignoring it on purpose. Although I avoided the Harry Potter books until I saw the first movie and enjoyed it, so who knows?

Hitting someone cause they don't like Twilight? Really? C'mon. Jeez.

Although I'd like to know just who put the time and money into creating a Twilight Sucks site/forum. You really have NOTHING else to do?
Tinu.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyYates wrote:

Although I'd like to know just who put the time and money into creating a Twilight Sucks site/forum. You really have NOTHING else to do?

Apparently not . . . some people are just as fanatical about arguing and enjoy being the devil's advocate waaay too much.

Claen'tor wrote:

I've had my own nasty experience concerning said obsessive fans, wince I made the apparently bad choice of cosplaying Aizen Sousuke very accurately three years ago. I'll spare you the general details, but the end result was me getting decidedly disheveled, running like a madman, and getting back to my hotel room to change into semi-normal clothes.

Oh you poor poor dear. o_o
Squeeself

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@BSDude: Nope, fan comes from the word fancy, as Squee mentioned. It was originally fance, then shortened further, and came into popular usage in America. It's of course controversial; some Etymology dictionaries list it coming from fanatic, like etymonline.com. It's silly of course to discount fanatic as a source entirely given that they're so related and how modern the word is, but it's likely the fancy usage came first given a popular term for sports followers was the Fancy, then stuck when fanatic fit well with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: