FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

HAIR!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

How many of you actually care about this topic? And I mean for real.
Yes, I do, I do! *waves hand madly*
57%
 57%  [ 12 ]
Um... how to put this politely... No.
42%
 42%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 21

Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:24 am    Post subject: HAIR! Reply with quote

Ponce wrote:
Please, allow me to explain.

A) When one has short hair, it tends to get it one's eyes and stick to one's forehead in the heat. I speak out of experience.

B) Long hair is actually very easy to maintain in my opinion, because it stays tightly braided, and thus, less fuss. (heehee)

C) Umm...for me, I need it for high-ranking shows to coil it up under my hard hat in a net. Uhh...I can't really explain that. Embarassed

D) I don't really care what's attractive, as long as it works for my lifestyle. Besides, my hair tends to go in annoying, curly locks around my eyes and cheeks, which is VERY irritating. SO--I keep it moderately long and tie it back. A lot.

E) You're a guy; it won't go amiss if you have a buzz cut. Really, you should be feeling sympathy.

AsA - My hair is annoying thick, but I put this lotion-stuff in to make it work...

I forgot; if you tie it off your neck, it's really quite cool. Also: I had cropped hair once, and it was very annoying. For me, cute would be nice, but not workable. Oh well. I'm just glad I'm not trying to impress any men! (Not that I'm saying mato's assessment is the only opinion...)

Now then, my response.

A. It sticks if you have bangs/fringe, which isn't required. When I had short hair the second time I didn't get bangs. Though it does stick to your neck, and there is absolutely NO way of getting it off.

B. I wash my hair once a week. I can even go two weeks without it, though it's disgusting at the end of that time. If I had shorter hair, it would be styled, I'd have to put gunk in it, I'd have to wash it more often, and I'd have to get it cut more often - as it is, I cut two inches off, twice a year. All in all, I think having my massively long hair is actually much easier to handle than short hair would be.

C. I have nothing to compare to that. I adore long hair, thought I agree with Matoto - excessively long hair can be unattractive. The difference being that I have a different measuring stick for 'excessive', and I think it's unattractive mostly because it's usually very unhealthy and brittle. Most people who grow out their hair think that means never cutting it, never doing anything to it... and that's simply not true. It takes a certain amount of basic care, but it becomes part of your routine, and it's no trouble at all to maintain.

D. Mine is frizzy and fly-away, and I also keep it tied back - at this point almost 100% of the time in a braid. I happen to love long hair, and there's just so much more you can do with long hair than with short hair! There's so many more options for hairstyles, and braids, and buns... I love long hair.

E. Matoto, how long for you is 'moderately long'?

Ponce, I as well have a certain product I use to help keep my ends nice and solid, and to keep the frizziness down. What do you use? Does it work really well?

In a braid, for me, it's off my neck completely. It is heavy, but I don't notice it most of the time. Mostly when I have it up in a style on top of my head. When it's hanging down my back it's not so noticeable.

And EVERYONE is after me to get it cut! There is not a single person in my school, bar none, who has not said "Oh, wouldn't it look nice like this, about two feet shorter and with X style! Better watch out, I'll come after you with scissors!" I've taken to saying, "You cut my hair off, I cut your head off, capiche?" So annoying. -_-

PS: This is for all hair comments and questions, of all lengths, colors, textures, joys and frustrations! And anything else I'm missing!

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
horsin'around

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*grins* You know, AsA, I think you put that so well, there isn't a thing I could possibly add. As for conditioner junk--I use BedHead and this other stuff...all I know is that it works, is organic and all-natural, and not tested on animals! ^_^

I really do think you put this...incredibly necessary topic fantastically. I do agree with Mato on the premises of really long hair being slightly creepy, but hey, it works for me, and obviously for you, AsA.

Yours must be considerably longer than mine though, because people want to chop it off! Mine isn't that long yet, and when it gets that long, I'll probably cull it to shoulder length and donate it to cancer or something. Very Happy

If you fight for your limitations, you get to keep them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ponce
Spindrifter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sticking to the neck is the bane of my life, especially as I'm currently involved in a lot of physical labor for my show... And even worse, my hair is just about an inch too short to be tied back at present. So there's no real help for it.

But hair, even long hair, such a pretty feature. *envies straight-haired people*

Trickier though it is, dactylic hex of the epic-ish style:
"Alt" he is called and his reign is the fierce and the making of pretties.
horsin'around

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*envies curly-haired people* Haha...

Ponce
Tomato

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you asked me a direct question, being that you wish to know what I consider "moderately" long hair. Honestly, I would consider "Moderately long" anything from shoulder-length to a bit below.

My weigh in on this issue is that I wash my hair at least once a day, and usually shower twice: Once after I get up, and again after I get home from work. I also use all-natural and not tested on animals shampoo, though I love mine a bit more than I like bedhead.

A small point of note: Never ask a believing hair stylist why that's important. She will *freak* out.

Since we're on the topic: Aveda shampoos and conditioners are simply fantastic. If you're a guy, they have a very masculine line attuned for men, but if you're a woman.... well, you're lucky. They've got a number of organic treatments for all varieties of hair. My favorite is this mint rosemary blend that I used back before they made a men's line. It's so nice <3

Anyhow, back on the subject of longer hair: I'm not saying it all looks bad. It's just, too long really resembles a stereotype to me that frankly disinterests me.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ponce - What's the name of it?

I personally like Garnier Fructis, that's what seems to work best for me.

Matoto, here's where I laugh and repeat, 'My measuring stick is different than yours.' According to my eyes, shoulder-length and above is short, midback is medium, and from there down is long. If someone leaves hair that long down without pulling it back, she's asking for trouble. I can't leave mine down at all anymore, it gets caught on anything and knots itself up too much.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience.

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have hair to about shoulder blade length, worn in a pony tail. I use Lush's Karma Komba shampoo and American cream conditioner.

I simply find long hair much easier to manage - i don't have to fuss getting it cut to keep it looking decent, and i don't have to worry about styling it. Though when it gets a little longer than it is now, it does need a trim so it doesn't get in the way...
Maeniel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss my long hair...but it was getting annoying. But I loved my ponytail... D: It was really easy to do a bunch of different crazy hairstyles, though. Very Happy Shorter hair is so much easier to take care of, though, and there are still different ways to make it KUH-RAY-ZAY!
horsin'around

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AsA: I use Garnier Fructis too. Go figure. Cool

Ponce
Tyris

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A). Clearly we are operating under very different definitions of "short." When one has short hair, it can't get in one's eyes because it's too short.Wink
B). Long hair stays tightly braided... if it's straight. If it's curly then it's almost impossible to get into a braid in the first place, especially without outside help, and as for maintenance... the stuff tangles more easily than a garden hose. Up to an hour of combing every day... >.<
C). Got nothin' to add here. Embarassed
D). Wait, curly locks around the eyes and cheeks are annoying now?
E). Anytime someone says "you should be feeling sympathy" that tends to trigger the opposite reaction. Wink

Oh, and as to hair sticking to the neck, two words: higher collars.

"It's a sad thing when a man loses his cookie." - Nem
Asa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A. I know. I know mine is exaggerated, anyway.

B. Do you braid it wet or dry?

D. When they're straggly little bits, they are, and when they refuse to get tucked behind ears.

Higher collars defeat the purpose of keeping the hair off your neck in the first place, in my opinion. And somehow, it STILL managed to make its way inside and stick to my neck!

Spindrifter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, I wear a collared shirt every day and it's even worse. Sticky hair inside the collar is pure hell, in the way that a six-year-old amped up on caffeine and clinging to your left arm is hell. You just. Can't. Get. It. Off.
Very Happy

Trickier though it is, dactylic hex of the epic-ish style:
"Alt" he is called and his reign is the fierce and the making of pretties.
Dark Mirf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now when I think about it... My hair reaches to my butt, but when I wear it up, it has the impression of shorter hair. Then again, my quick (and somtime messy) updo gives that impression.

Braids do hold the hair, but doesnt quite work when your bangs isnt long enough to stay in. Then again, I never liked the slick look of recently braided hair. It just bothers me.
Tomato

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand how so many people have such *long* hair. It would simply drive me batty.

Lets talk about another matter:

Coloring.

I like coloring in taste. Stripes, accents, highlights and such are awesome. Just straight "blue" or "purple" hair.... not so much. One says "I'm trendy, but also tasteful." the other says "I'm wacko!"

I had bleached blonde hair in my sophomore year of highschool. I don't think anyone noticed until my roots started showing XD

I have brown hair, but it gets light in the summer. Adding a bit of topical bleach with my sunbathing was all I needed to have white hair for the season. Once fall came around, and things started changing, that's when people were like "Huh??"
Asa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most major reason I don't dye my hair at all is because it would take a whole bottle of all-over color to simply highlight it. Besides, I like my hair the way it is, and it doesn't need to be chaged.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: