FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Hail to the chief
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Tenshi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good read, I recommend it. Then again, any time Nem gets on the topic of morality it's a good read..

If Obama really did take steps to reduce the power of Guantanamo Bay, then he's already a better president than I expected the first few weeks to reveal. While I may agree that sometimes rough, or brutal steps must be taken to safeguard those who are unwilling to fight for them, Guantanamo has become...a different monster entirely.

President Barrack Obama has used Humanitarianism!!!
Public Opinion takes a critical hit!!!
President Barrack OBama has gained 17 public approval!!!

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
YatesOfYore
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol @ Tenshi. Have an Internet on me Wink

I have to admit that I find myself rather smitten with the Obama-rama phenomenon. I won't pretend to know everything about his policies or background, but I think he's a good, intelligent person who's going to do his best. He said right in his speech that his administration WILL make mistakes. It's only a collective of humans after all, how couldn't they?

So while I respect the Republicans' (or anyone's) right to not like or agree with him, I think it's in poor spirits to sit around waiting for him to fail.

... And speaking of poor spirits, as much as I thoroughly dislike Bush, you don't boo your past president at an inauguration. Sheesh. Some people were born in a barn.

And I have to say that that was the WORST poetry reading I've ever heard. Did she even write it herself? 'Cause she sure didn't seem to care or feel much about it. Stephen Hawkings would have put more emotion and rhythm into it.
theBSDude

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teh Lady wrote:
Stephen Hawkings would have put more emotion and rhythm into it.

If you've heard "Hawkman Cometh", you'd know that was true.

My brain is elsewhere today.

TheBSDude, dubbed 'BS' by Asa and nicknamed 'Thebes.'
Keeper of the Tristam, The Amazing Non-Emo Vampire!(tm) and a Massive List of Webcomics.

"I'm like a ninja with no hopes or dreams." --Wally of Dilbert
Tenshi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Stephen Hawkings with flow and rhythm...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89jt7zJzkNQ
(Content warning. There's a swear word or two)

Edit: D'oh! Ninja'd!

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Tinu.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyYates wrote:

... And speaking of poor spirits, as much as I thoroughly dislike Bush, you don't boo your past president at an inauguration. Sheesh. Some people were born in a barn.

And I have to say that that was the WORST poetry reading I've ever heard. Did she even write it herself? 'Cause she sure didn't seem to care or feel much about it. Stephen Hawkings would have put more emotion and rhythm into it.

*Cheers*

As much as I disliked the poetry reading myself, in her defense she was reading in front of the entire USA and several other countries.
sailorscully

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The saddest part for me is that she's an alum of my alma mater. D: Wish she'd been a slightly better public speaker.

Oh! Oh! here's a fun thing for y'all...our neighbors to the North put together a playlist for Obama to help him "define the land north of the 49th parallel". It's really good, and worth checking out! (I'm streaming a bunch of the songs right now, actually, and they're GOOD...yay for new music!)

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/music/story/2009/01/19/obama-playlist.html
YatesOfYore
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinu. wrote:

As much as I disliked the poetry reading myself, in her defense she was reading in front of the entire USA and several other countries.

That was the only defense I could think of for her myself.

What did everyone think of the inclusion of that old hippy song in the Benediction? I cringed when he used the term "yellow" - I've yet to meet an Asian person who doesn't take great offense to being called that.
sailorscully

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What did everyone think of the inclusion of that old hippy song in the Benediction? I cringed when he used the term "yellow" - I've yet to meet an Asian person who doesn't take great offense to being called that.

I cringed when he said that, and when he referred to the "Red man," as well. It's just awkward! I don't care how spiritual/liberal you claim to be, sometimes these references are better left unsaid. Sad

Don't let my dragon die! Sad clickie?

Dubbed Skipper by Asa
Sailorscully = sailor = pirate = scupper = Skipper
unimportant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the terms were sketchy at best. But I think his sentiment was really good. And honestly, it was getting a bit to pompous for awhile, I really liked his little interjection. That said, I do agree I found the terms yellow and red man unnerving.

I'm a huge Obama supporter, and in no way think he's anything like Bush. However, did anyone catch the daily show with Jon Stewart last night? He pointed out that Obama's inaguration speech could be matched many times phrase for phrase to rhetoric that Bush himself had spoken at one point or another, especially the stuff on being tough on terrorism, America being the greatest nation in the world etc. etc. I know the essence of an inagural address is always going to be "go us!" but still, I was amused.
Squeeself

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K, Squee will agree with you on the terrorist acts though...but you should have said so in the first place! Also, Squee doesn't have much to quibble with Nem's post for once Smile

And yes, definitely one of the more atrocious poetry readings Squee's heard in a while...and the poem wasn't even all that great. Razz
sunshine

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Unimportant - makes me wonder how many lines could be matched from other president's inaugural speeches, too. As others have said, the inauguration is generally just supposed to be a "go US!", feel good sort of speech, so I imagine there's been other presidents to use much the same terminology as well.

It's just a whole lot funnier to compare Kung Fu Action Obama's words with Evil Dictator Monkey Bush's. Razz

My deviantART page

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She did in fact write that poem herself. I heard her interviewed on NPR.

I skipped that part of the ceremony though -- as soon as his inaugural speech was done I blasted out my door to go teach. And I was still a couple minutes late, on the FIRST DAY of class. Way to set an example, eh?
YatesOfYore
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I had no doubt that she wrote it herself, I was just being sarcastic.

Another thought I had while mindlessly watching CNN while they were waiting for the parade to start - it's so SAD just how many African American youth are so excited that he's president and it's only because he's black. Too many of the people they interviewed had NO idea what he stood for politically.

*sigh* But if it gets them or anyone interested and involved in the workings of their country, then I guess it's a good thing.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone else hear that some nitpicks complained because the Chief Justice got a few words out of order and were claiming that Obama wasn't President as a result? They made him retake the oath of office later.
Rechaana

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of the poetry reading, she actually was reading it according to a modern reading style. Wherein the reader puts a period after each word. Yeah, I'm not too impressed either.

On to the poem itself. I shall quote Robert Frost on the subject of free verse poetry; "Writing free verse is like playing tennis with the net down." Then again, I am slightly biased, given my love of prose.

Dubbed Rachel by Asa
rechaana = Rech = Rach = Rachel

Last edited by Rechaana on Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: