FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Teh film thread.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Lithrath

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to see The Spirit yesterday.

If you want a gritty, serious action flick The Spirit is not for you. If you want a hilarious, campy, true-to-the-comic film adaptation with the same neat visuals of Sin City and appropriate music, then The Spirit is for you. Or if you want to see Samuel L. Jackson frolic in some hilarious costumes.

I enjoyed it thoroughly, though some parts had me asking "Wha...? o.O" but once you just let the movie run with itself, you can enjoy the silliness.

TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Inkheart today, it was alright. They changed quite a few things but in some ways were very true to the book. Mostly what I didn't like was the simplified plot they had and the actor they chose for Basta, I didn't like him at all, he wasn't how I had imagined the character and I couldn't take him seriously, other than that it was a good movie.
Squeeself

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squee is glad to hear that The Spirit is true to the comic, cause the trailer, while it did have some campiness, just looked way to dark and gritty for the tongue-in-cheek style of the spirit comic...Eisner was a master at poking fun at the comic genre, so Squee was hoping it would translate well into film.
UFAlien

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw Mirrors. And it wasn't that good.

I mean, it was better than Shutter, there were a few good jumps and some cool effects, not to mention nice gore. But there was no suspense, it was really predictable to the point where I OVER predicted it (thought they would at least throw in some kind of twist, but no, they kept playing it straight forward), the CGI Screaming Demon Nun now holds a place next to the CGI Demon Baby Holding A Cell Phone from One Missed Call for pure ridiculous goofy scene-wrecking, the estranged family subplot was forced, lifeless, and ultimately pointless, and both main characters were complete idiots. Even beyond normal horror standards...

"Hey! I touched this glass 5 seconds ago and it shattered and cut the **** out of my hand! Now that the glass is healed and something freaky's clearly going on, I'll immediately touch the glass again!"

"Hey! Not only was I too dumb to take a step away from the clearly visible approaching line of flames, but now that it's already touched me I'll continue to stand directly in it while it sets my whole body on fire!"

"Hey! Even though this photo clearly shows that only the REFLECTION of the glass shard has any blood on it, and the picture shows the entire and exact same surface as the one reflected in the mirror, and the only way it could possibly have anything to do with angles is if there was somehow blood on the subway station CEILING from when a dude slit his throat, I'm pretty sure it's just the angle!"

"Hey! Even though I know that there are evil reflections, and I can clearly see the space where my kid would have to be sitting to make this a normal reflection, and he's obviously not there, I'm gonna go ahead and walk directly towards the obviously-not-made-by-my-son evil reflection while calling my son's name! I'm sure it won't attack me on account of being, I dunno, evil, or something."

Seriously, this movie's characters all lost the gene pool game.

I didn't hate it, at least it was fun to laugh at and had some good scenes, but it was still really pretty bad.

2/5

Dubbed Loofah by Asa
UFAlien = UFA = oofah = Loofah
Rolaoi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw about half of the Unborn. I say half because the other half I had my eyes closed. It really was quite scary, and some parts in the trailers when seen in context had a lot more effect. However, the movie was terribly predictable. All of the standard scary scenes where there from monster in the mirror(although they did add a slight twist to this bit) to dark corridors to seemingly-abandoned-closets-which-were-oh-my-not-abandoned. The first 30 minutes of the movie was one pantie-shot after another.

I'd still like to see a Project Zero movie if they can make a good one.
Fame~Citzen Cope

Nom d'amour~ Rolex
PurpleCactusPlant

Location: 2010 Olympics (Please enjoy them, b/c I am paying for them).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly recommend Ping Pong Playa! I just watched it with my friend last night, and it was hi-larious. It's even funnier if you're Chinese-American (not me), or at least know a lot of Chinese Americans (or in my case, Chinese-Canadians) and they're sitting right beside you on the couch pointing out all the in jokes.

Also, my boyfriend and I are having a huge argument right now. He thinks Gran Torino will win best picture, I think it's going to be Slumdog Millionaire. Anyway, both are increds!
unimportant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw The Changeling for the first time last week, the old horror movie, not the recent one with Angelina Jolie. I gotta tell you, it's really good. Even if you don't like horror movies, this is different. It's part horror part mystery and it's not all about fear, it's also about suspense and puzzles. The acting is fantastic, the plot is so spooky and interesting. Basically, a man who has recently lost his family moves to Seattle and rents a big historic house, when he starts hearing banging and finding strange things. Looking into it, he thinks there may be something in the house trying to contact him. And I won't say any more, because that would spoil a good movie. Just go see it Wink
Nem

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to see the new Underworld movie a couple of days ago.

First off: I enjoyed the movie, so don't take what I'm going to say next the wrong way.

These people should never be allowed to direct action sequences again. The closest I can think of to compare it to is to say it reminded me of the Quantum of Solace sequences. The problem isn't movements in them were bad, because they weren't; very little of it would work in real life but that's par for the course it's fantasy; no the problem was in the filming and editing, these people had no idea how to showcase the movements. Action sequences are about showing off what your actors can do, you want to cut as little as possible and capture as much of the movement as possible. If you cut or zoom in on something it's for emphasis. For some reason people seem to have got the idea that you cut every five seconds and twitch the camera around like an ADHD kid in a sweetshop. The other main problem with the experience was Sonja's actor; there were quite a few lines from her where you could have had a computer read them for more emotion - it came as somewhat of a relief when she finished her part in the movie. She did look nice enough though; which let's face it is the reason she gets parts, not for her acting.

That out of the way the plus side of things: Lucian really held the film together in this, compensating for the relatively weak performance on the part of Sonja by at least detracting attention away from her. An excellent performance in its own right though. Viktor did his whole evil creep thing again, didn't get to see much of that in the first film. The plot didn't really incur any continuity problems which is also a plus for a prequel.

Overall I could have stood to see another hour or so worth of film. If this had showcased its action sequences properly it would be being awarded a good nine out of ten. As it is however, lacking a decent female lead and with poorly filmed/edited action sequences it's only really worthy of a seven or at most an eight.
- Issa
unimportant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got free tickets to that at a comic store and wasn't able to go. I didn't like the second Underworld at all though. You really think this one is worth it?
Nem

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a passable action flick with a big budget. If you're into it for character development and so on rather than because it has hot vampires wielding swords and some middle of the road revolutionary rhetoric, look elsewhere. Then again I'd have said much the same about the first and second movies as well, sans revolutionary stuff anyway. Better than the second one not as good as the first I guess. I enjoyed it in the same way I enjoy Buffy episodes or old Sven Hassel novels: Nothing too complicated or philosophical.

If you are looking elsewhere I highly recommend Låt den rätte komma in it is without a doubt the best vampire film in a good few years.
- Issa
unimportant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just become such a big Dracula nut in the past few nuts, I'm getting to be a vampire snob. If it's not like Bram Stoker's Dracula, I have to tell myself over and over that that's okay XD. That said, the book is amazing, and Coppola's movie was actually pretty tight in my opinion. Not great, but really good.
Ravenna

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Nem: Ooh, is that the Swedish film? I had a friend who was talking it up today. It does sound good - any idea where one could get hold of a subbed version?

I'd recommend 'Night Watch', both the films and the novels.
Nem

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Fable: Uh - I'm not really up on my Vamp myths, fable so I couldn't really say whether it was Bram Stoker vampires or otherwise. Erm, you have to invite them in and they burn in sunlight? I just like the films XD

@Rav: Yup that's the one (IMDB page http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1139797/ ) Probably the only source you'd get a copy from would be the internet at the moment or from someone who got it off the internet. I don't think it's out in the UK until the 10th April or something like that.
- Issa
Squeeself

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Nem: Yeah, the shaky cam in action films is one of THE MOST ANNOYING developments in modern film. It adds NOTHING to the action sequences, except to hide bad filmmaking behind distractingly bad cinematography. That's not to say shaky cam doesn't have its place, but it's SO overused in all these action movies that it's HORRIBLE.
Ravenna

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Nem/Fable: From what I recall, the Underworld vampires are not akin to Stoker's work in the classical sense - no shape-shifting, completely unable to go out into the sunlight and no reaction whatsoever to holy relics. Vampirism is displayed as being a form of evolution or a genetic disease (depending on the character's outlook), rather than being undead demons.

If you're looking for Undead Demonic Vampires, you're better off with the likes of Hellsing over in the anime thread.

I'm currently horrified at the price of the L'Auberge espagnole soundtrack on HMV. £25.99? FOR A CD? Will it dance for me and make my breakfast too?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: