FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Here come the drums...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Nem

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Here come the drums... Reply with quote

Quote:
NASA has detected a deep space sound that defies belief or any explanation. They don't have a single clue about its origin, according to Alan Kogut from the Goddard Space Center:

The universe really threw us a curve. Instead of the faint signal we hoped to find, here was this booming noise six times louder than anyone had predicted.

According to NASA, "the source of this cosmic radio background remains a mystery". It's not primordial stars, it's not any known radio source, and in fact, the problem here is that there is "not enough radio galaxies to account for the signal". In other words, nothing in the known cosmos is capable of producing this deafening sound. University of Maryland at College Park's Dale Fixsen—part of NASA's ARCADE team— says, that to get this kind of signal, "you'd have to pack [radio galaxies] into the universe like sardines. There wouldn't be any space left between one galaxy and the next".

http://i.gizmodo.com/5128146/nasa-detects-mystery-booming-sound-in-deep-space-origin-unknown

For some reason I'm getting an image of an old Father Ted episode. Ted was holding up a model cow alongside a real one that was much further away, 'Really small *lowers model* far away,' or something like that anyway. Not that I imagine it's quite that simple ^_~
- Issa
Tinu.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's God talking. XD

Heh, that's pretty interesting - it'll keep them in a tizzy for the next long while.

Makes you wonder if they know as much about space as the claim they do.
firefly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hum... intriguing.

Very nice. One scientist must never be convinced he understants something, there may be something like this waiting to happen Surprised

Earthsong RPG number 2 fan girl and fanclub member
Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Tinu: Any proper scientist would have to admit that they know very little or nothing. Science, by it's very nature, is a constant learning effort. True scientists have only theories and hypothesis. Wink

Really, though, it could be several things. There could be some way that gravity is working to pool several radio galaxies' noise. Studies could be done to see if this phenomenon happens anywhere else, although I imagine that would be difficult (as gravity would bend light, making it hard to tell if you're looking at anything other than straight on).

It could also be radio galaxies merging, colliding catastrophically and making a racket while they do it. Since we don't really know the mechanics of galaxies slamming into one another, it's possible. Hopefully we never find out first hand!

And, lastly, it could be a transmission source from another sentient race, trying to communicate with either itself or or another race out in the deep dark. I imagine that, if life evolved in a greatly different way from our own, that their senses of sound and sight could be much different. Maybe they evolved in such a way as to be very mindful of the way nature is, and so they sought not to disturb that natural balance of nature by sending "artificial" signals like we do.

Alternately, they could be trying to make it a hard signal to detect. After all, if you weren't listening closely you could just mistake it for another galaxy. If you were trying to find life out there, it would pique your interest. If it did that, then maybe you would go to investigate. Maybe it's a "Hello, if you're looking, we'll be waiting here for you" type of message.

::shrugs:: I could go on all day with wild theories on aliens. Suffice to say, it's simply an anomaly that deserves further study and analysis because of it's interesting nature.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galaxies merging? Nonsense! It's clearly orcs beating drums in the deeps before they swarm up and slaughter us all.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Oops!" "Next time do us all a favor and drop yourself in!"

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or it's the old dude right next door forgetting to turn down his hearing aid again.

Somehow, I'm expecting this to be a huge flop, it'll all be a mistake, you know?

Yeah yeah, and now all you techno-geeks are going to jump on top of me and explain exactly why there's a possibility of sentient life, etc...

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
sunshine

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been watching far too much Dr. Who lately to be able to fairly comment on possible explanations behind the sounds, so I'm gonna go the safe route and just say how much I can't wait to see what their findings turn out to be! Razz

My deviantART page

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinalles wrote:
Galaxies merging? Nonsense! It's clearly orcs beating drums in the deeps before they swarm up and slaughter us all.

Space orcs....FROM SPACE

Anyway, you're all wrong. There was a fly on the mic.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! Britland, you've got it! I think she's got it!

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
CBB

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, that would be awesome if it turned out to be something like that.

It reminds me of the Bloop that was recorded somewhere out in the South Pacific!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloop

Bigger (and better?) than anything known. Sounds familiar. XD

Psychosomatic! That boy needs therapy...
Ya que estamos en el baile, ¡bailemos!

Keeper of Earthsong's Wispy Wooshy Memory Ball
Keeper of the Dragon Planet
Allicat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinu. wrote:
Makes you wonder if they know as much about space as the claim they do.

You kidding? We know comparitively nothing about anything. That's why science is so exciting!

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Xolejh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally my theory is that God likes 2Pac and that he has his stereo turned up really loud on his heavenly space escalade. Just a theory.

I am confused.
Virturealm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blegh. How rude. NASA shouldn't be throwing out imagination catching stuff like this so casually. I bet this will be less interesting than the LAST failed history breaker. I don't want to hear about such things until they start melting cities. Mad

Razz
__|..|..|__|
Tyris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunshine wrote:
I've been watching far too much Dr. Who lately to be able to fairly comment on possible explanations behind the sounds
Likewise. That was the absolute first thought to float up. Very Happy

*fingers tap out a four-thingy beat*

TheBritishInvasion wrote:
Space orcs....FROM SPACE
Orks, then.

"It's a sad thing when a man loses his cookie." - Nem
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: