FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

BLU-RAY
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Claen'tor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are my 10p.

For PC gamers on a budget, we stick with DVD/CD burners, getting a Blu-Ray burner if we can afford it, because until Blu-Ray becomes the industry standard, they will not be making games with Blu-Ray discs (the exception being the PS3). And the misleading prices at major retailers are extending that time, especially in this time of recession/near depression. So I personally won't expect it to become a necessity until 2011, at the least.

Regardless, the advantages are undeniable. I have never felt so immersed into a movie as I was when watching Transformers at at a retailer on a HDTV with Blu-Ray. It was like actually being there, a bit of a heart-flutterer when the camera decides to make a 40+ foot drop/zoom. There is a downside to that, to some degree. Now a lot of action movies will most definitely not be for the faint of heart, because your mind will fool you into feeling like you actually are making that 40 foot drop. It's very much like riding a virtual reality roller coaster. The only thing left is to add smells (inadvisable though).

My family has a 38" Wide-screen flat screen telly, and my father is looking to get a Blu-Ray player, because he does see the difference, and he is such a action junkie. XD

Now Playing: Evanescence - Snow White Queen

This be Claen'tor, signing off.

I like to post my music. It's a habit. Be nice. ;_;

'People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid.'
-Soren Kierkegaard

Dubbed Clan by Asa
Claen'tor = Claen = Clan
sunshine

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While, undoubtedly, the quality of Blue-Ray and all of its technological acoutrements is quite firmly established as being clearer, faster, and more polished, there's still the very real presence of digital alternatives whose sheer convenience could very well trump all of that shiny new technology.

Example: My fiance and I have completely stopped purchasing hard copies of movies, shows and games. We have a lovely HDTV, and a Netflix account that connects to our X-Box live account to stream high-res, high-quality movies and TV shows directly from the internet onto said HDTV. And thanks to our fat wi-fi pipes (only marginally more expensive than cable, and includes our phone line), there's never more than a few seconds wait while our entertainment is uploaded. Any games we might want to play can be purchased through X-Box live as well, and anything not on there is bound to be covered by Netflix's snail mail method, which we still get access to.

We have no need for hard copies of these things, as games only have so much replay value and movies take up a lot of space that our tiny apartment doesn't have. So for a tiny fraction of the cost of all that wonderfully advanced Blueray tech (and yes, it is all very impressive, and precisely the reason we got the HDTV in the first place) we have unlimited access to an ever-increasing library of quality entertainment, with no wait and no hassle.

As most of the posts in this thread show, people will admire that which is obviously advanced, and compliment it, and openly discuss how much better it is... then turn right around and go with the most convenient option instead, without ever giving it a second thought.

My deviantART page

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
UFAlien

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunshine wrote:
While, undoubtedly, the quality of Blue-Ray and all of its technological acoutrements is quite firmly established as being clearer, faster, and more polished, there's still the very real presence of digital alternatives whose sheer convenience could very well trump all of that shiny new technology.

As I see it, Digital Downloads really aren't convenient for most people.

A Blu-ray player is like a DVD player - plug it into a TV, get a disc, watch a movie. It works anywhere, it's easy to understand, the only way to lose it is if you physically lose the disc, and you get bonus features.

Digital downloads are only convenient if you already have high-speed internet. Even so, internet connections can be spotty, especially in certain places where the only high-speed available is satellite, which is about half the speed of DSL and loses connection in bad weather.

Furthermore, although it seems a simpler process once you set it up, there is still the work involved in setting up a connection - in practice, admittedly, it's not that hard so long as you're in the right area, but to the average consumer the task seems far more daunting than plugging a box into a TV set.

Also, it requires a subscription, so your price has no reflection on the actual amount of movies you use. Depending on this, it can be much more expensive.

Digital data is also easier to lose - you delete a file, something gets corrupted, etc. When you have the movie on disc, you HAVE the movie.

Also, when you buy a download, you have the movie... and... uh... yeah. That's it. No bonus features at all, which is a HUGE count against it for film fans.

Not to mention the fact that digital download quality is notably worse than PPV or On Demand HD content offered by cable and satellite services - which is FAR more convenient than downloads anyway. Of course, this system has serious issues as well.

Plus, there is still the lack of lossless audio - and no matter what people say, it DOES make a difference. That is one place I will not budge - it's not an opinion, it's a fact. You can talk about how encodes are theoretically superb, but that can not change the fact that it literally, plain and simple, sounds more detailed in practice. Sorry if I sound like a jerk there, but it's true.

I agree with your 2011 projection, Claentor, that seems about right for when Blu-ray becomes as mainstream as DVD. But digital downloads are not as big a threat as they're made out to be, IMO.

Dubbed Loofah by Asa
UFAlien = UFA = oofah = Loofah
Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'm having a lapse of courtesy and I really, really want to say this.

Give it a rest, dude. Blu-Ray is better, yes. We have all agreed that Blu-Ray is a much more precise format to use. Okay, no contest. Does that mean that it's better for everyone? No.

I upgraded to DVD when DVD Burners became commonplace on computers. Otherwise, I had my PS2. I'm a gamer, though. It sounds like Sunny is in a similar situation, if she's streaming it through a 360. Like her, I'm using my current hardware for what I need/want. I have no desire whatsoever to spend the money to upgrade to Blu-Ray.

From what I can gather, you sell Blu-Ray, so I understand your passion for the stuff. Selling something you believe in becomes something you want to do, not just get paid to do. You just have to realize, people who come in to your store are already looking to upgrade their systems in some way, or purchase new systems. The majority of our forum users, I believe, are really not your desired demographic. In fact, many of the users here (as Ravenna and AsA have given examples) much prefer the older formats anyhow.

Now, I'm not trying to come across too strongly here, but I'm beginning to feel like you're being a bit aggressive and defensive. In several posts I've seen you completely miss the points others have made, so make sure you're also reading over what people mention are their reasons before you reply. I think this would probably also help your sales pitch, as it were.

Nobody is saying you're wrong, but not everyone is going to be snapped up into the "wonders of Blu-Ray". And, honestly? There ARE Better options out there for some people. Convenient, easy, and comparable options that produce almost exactly the same result, if not the same result.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
UFAlien

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XD I don't sell Blu-rays, I don't even work in a store!

The only job I ever had was an acting gig.

And I'm sorry if I missed points... I just felt like most people were missing mine too. And I'm not trying to offend anyone - if Sunny is happy with digital downloads, or you guys are happy with DVDs, fine. But people said things about the format that were misconceptions, and I was trying to inform them of the truth. Never once have I said I was trying to convince you guys to go Blu... I was discussing the format and saying why I believe the alternatives are inferior.

...you know, if I ever get a job at Best Buy or something, and they read this, I know which department they'll put me in XD

Dubbed Loofah by Asa
Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could definitely use this as a reference, you'd be a total natural! You know a ton about the format, and if someone was on the fence I bet you'd help them on over it in a heartbeat.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
UFAlien

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do wanna apologize again if anyone felt I was attacking them - that was NOT my intention in any way. I'm always a pretty passionate person though - a gift and a curse XD

Anyway, from now on I can probably repurpose this thread; if anyone has any questions about movies on Blu-ray, technical stuff, or general anything about it, go ahead and ask ^^

Dubbed Loofah by Asa
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: