FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

BLU-RAY
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

UFAlien

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: BLU-RAY Reply with quote

Well, Blu-ray is the big holiday item this year, and as a proud Blu-ray user, I put it upon myself to produce an informative little video: (Note... I got VHS resolution wrong, it's about 80,000 pixels.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmY5boZEiUY

Comments? Questions?

Dubbed Loofah by Asa
UFAlien = UFA = oofah = Loofah
PurpleCactusPlant

Location: 2010 Olympics (Please enjoy them, b/c I am paying for them).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Witchcraft and hodgepodge! I remember the days when children were content with shadow puppets made over the fire built by the coal they dug out of the mines themselves.
And there weren't none of them fancy shadow puppets neither ruinin' their imaginations. It was all rabbits. And there were no talkies! In black and white. Up hill both ways! And dial-up!

Am I the only one who feels like DVDs were introduced just yesterday?
UFAlien

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

Dubbed Loofah by Asa
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DVDs seem perfectly fine to me.
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. To get the best of blu-ray, it's not just the player - you need very high-end and expensive equipment all round, and even then there's little difference IMO. And my large DVD collection says i'm sticking with DVD for the moment.
UFAlien

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little difference? Have you watched one?

I use a 32" $600 TV, with just the speakers in it... a very low-end setup, about the bottom standard for HD. And the difference is INCREDIBLE. And you can get players for under $150.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=2197

Besides, did you watch the video? Blu-ray players play all DVDs, and upscale them.

To get the BEST of DVD, you need much of the same equipment as to get the BEST of Blu.

Dubbed Loofah by Asa
Ravenna

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still prefer DVDs, mainly becuse that's what my lappy plays. Blu-ray will damage your eyesight! And sitting with your back to an open fire will make your spine melt a little.
UFAlien

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XDD

I doubt that... and yes, Blu-ray still isn't as integrated into everything as DVD. But it's becoming a success faster than DVD did... it's going to replace DVD eventually, it's just a fact.

Better question: who here has an HDTV?

Dubbed Loofah by Asa
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO, and I'm unlikely to get one any time soon. I have a pants little 14" CRT TV and a laptop... neither of which is likely to be replaced any time soon.
Allicat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You remember when VHS was the king of home entertainment?

Whaddaya mean was?! I still lobe teh VHS. In fact, most of my film collection is VHS purchased from the charity shop downstairs.

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
UFAlien

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...obviously I'm preaching to the wrong crowd XD

Dubbed Loofah by Asa
Nem

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UFAlien wrote:
Better question: who here has an HDTV?

Nope, if I had a TV I'd have to pay for a TV license every year. It's easier just to buy DVD boxsets and watch them on my computer.
- Issa
UFAlien

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...okay.

Anyway, I'm going to post a written summary for people who can't/don't want to watch the vid.

Blu-ray is the new home video standard.

VHS offered a resolution of 350i, containing 84,000 individual units of detail.

DVD offered 480p, with up to 345,600 units of detail (pixels).

Blu-ray offers 1080p HD content, with 2,073,600 pixels.

That's fully 6 times the detail of a normal DVD, although you'll need an HDTV to see it.

Also, DVD uses "lossy" sound where a computer runs through the sound, decides what's "not important", and removes it so the file will fit on a DVD. Blu-ray uses every bit of sound information for the best possible clarity - every sound on the studio's recording, no matter how subtle, is included and creates an audible difference. As for surround sound, up to 5.1 surround sound is supported on DVD. Blu-ray supports 7.1 - a full 8 channels of discrete sound for a more immersive experience.

Blu-ray has advanced menus and features. The menu pops up onscreen without pausing the movie so you can change setup options without wasting time. BonusView content allows video features to be played in a small window while the main feature continues. And features can be added even after a disc is released with BD-Live, a network that uses the internet to deliver additional content not on the disc.

Blu-rays also have a hard coat providing increased scratch and scuff resistance to ensure maximum playability. In one test, a man taped a Blu-ray disc to the bottom of his shoe, walked around, and then put the disc in a player. It played perfectly.

Blu-rays will not play in normal DVD players, however, they play in dedicated Blu-ray players, computers with Blu-ray drives, or any PS3. Blu-ray players also play all DVDs and upconvert them to smooth out jagged edges and artifacting.

In short, they're freaking awesome.

Dubbed Loofah by Asa
Squeeself

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Squee thinks you're overstating the importance of Bluray just a little. There's a couple things to realize here. One, it's not really the Bluray that's go the improvements as much as the HDTVs. Bluray format (and the now dead HD-DVD format) is a decent enough physical medium for the source transmission, but the REAL leap in technology isn't in the storage but the playback in HighDef. And while the quality improvements of HD are quite self-evident and your average user will notice a difference, your average user also won't care very much. Its all about price, and HDTVs and Blurays are still too high in the upper price range for large-scale adoption; the quality improvement just isn't worth the price for your normal consumer.

Also, just a couple quibbles. While switching to HD is a pretty significant advance resolution-wise, time after time Squee has seen that most people can't tell the difference between the various HD formats (720-1080). The resolution really isn't the big deal with HD (though it certainly helps). The problem with resolution is the higher the resolution, the bigger the TV that's needed to really get noticable differences. Anything under a 30" TV really doesn't benefit much from 1080p. (Squee has a 20-something inch HDTV that supports 1080p...The difference is negligible between difference source content).

However, the BIGGEST and BEST reason for HD (and especially digital HD transmission we'll be switching to next year) is the color space. We've been using the NTSC color space since the 1940s. Yes, that's over 60 years of the same color space. Even DVDs use this outdated, and HORRIBLE color space. As someone who's produced professional DVDs, dealing with the small range of NTSC is just plain evil. Not to mention the fact that non-digital TVs are horrible at displaying the color space as it is. Forget about the audio compression issues of DVD which isn't as big a deal when a good encoding is done (which btw, use the same algorithms and techniques as modern MP3s and other encodings). The color space issue is HUGE. The colors are what people DO notice about HDTVs. With the new color space, we no longer have to dumb down and re-colorize movies for TV (well, gotta gamma adjust still...but all computers have that issue too). The color space is what has people all over the movie and TV industry excited, not the resolution, which is only an incremental improvement. And it's not something that's from Bluray, but from the updated transmission and TV standards.

The problem with Bluray is it requires HDTVs. Not only that, but it requires you to actually buy Bluray discs once you have it. While eventually Bluray will become the replacement for DVDs, its not there yet. The HD DVD format war is over, but that doesn't mean there are enough discs out there yet. Not to mention that the pricing on Bluray needs to come way down for good adoption. Again, your average user doesn't care enough; the difference to them between DVD and a Bluray just doesn't warrant the cost.

The biggest problem, though, with Blurays is the timing...Digital distribution is just starting to take off at nearly the same time. While online downloads of movies hasn't quite reached the tech level to compete directly, Blurays might be shorter lived than DVDs if digital distribution is successful enough. We'll have to wait and see on that one...

On a side note: Squee's biggest issue with Blurays is actually the menus. Not the tech, but the people creating the menus. The additional freedom that Bluray allows has had a very bad effect: All the idiots that create DVD menus can now make even MORE useless and confusing menus. Have you SEEN some of the Disney Bluray menus? *shudder* It makes Squee's UI design sensibilities cry everytime Squee sees some of these.
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here here! Well said, Squee.

I particularly agree about the menus. Just because you can put lots of flashy animations in between menu actions doesn't mean you should. When I'm trying to get from the main menu to the subtitles menu, I don't want to have to wait while the main character flies me there on a broomstick, or a fancy high tech vault gets opened, or a spaceship blows away another spaceship to reveal the subtitle menu on a piece of wreckage that flies towards the camera and "hits the screen." I just want the freaking subtitle menu.

Is that so much to ask? Really?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: