FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

UFAlien's Film Review Thread

UFAlien

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: UFAlien's Film Review Thread Reply with quote

I do a lot of reviewing, and I didn't wanna spam the film thread, so I figured I'd start my own!

And for my first review, I choose...

Sleepaway Camp (1983)

On the surface, Sleepaway Camp is a generic summer camp horror flick, with a mysterious killer, a deadly past tragedy, and lots of rude teenagers.

However, there is a lot here that keeps it above average, giving it reason to become the cult classic it is.

The story revolves around shy Angela Baker and her cousin Ricky. They both live with Angela's eccentric aunt, since when they were very young, Angela, her brother Peter, and their father got into a boating accident which killed Peter and the father. The mother is never seen or even referred to.

The two are sent to camp, where Angela, nearly silent, becomes the target for abuse from the mean teenage campers and the apparently pedophilic chef. Ricky does his best to defend her, sometimes violently, and it isn't long before the people bothering Angela turn up dead. The camp owner Mel begins to suspect Ricky, but on the last night at the sleepaway camp, what truth will be revealed?

The acting in this movie is largely banal, as expected from amatuer teenage actors. However, Felissa Rose plays Angela very well, sympathetic but a bit creepy. The death scenes are often not explicitly shown, although we usually get a good look at the bodies. The kills are creative and brutal, and run the gamut from being boiled alive to trapped with a swarm of agitated bees.

But by FAR the best aspect of the movie is the shocking twist ending. This makes some of M. Night Shyamalan's stuff look boring and tame, and is THE reason to watch the movie. Highlight below if you want to spoil it:

Spoiler: After the camp owner apprehends Ricky and beats him within an inch of his life, he is promptly shot through the neck with an arrow. Later some of the counselors go looking for Angela and her newly found boyfriend, maybe the only NICE kid at this whole camp. They are found on the beach of the lake, naked, backs to the counselors. Angela drops something- the severed head of her boyfriend. But it doesn't stop there - Angela stands up and turns around. She is a boy. It turns out the boating accident actually killed ANGELA and the father, and the eccentric aunt, already having a son in Ricky, desperately wanted a daughter. So she dressed and raised Peter Baker as his dead sister Angela, an identity he has grasped onto completely, but not without a toll on his mind.

Basically, it's shocking, disturbing, and NEEDS to be seen.

The movie, minus the ending, is a 5/10. But the ending alone is a 10, so the movie averages out to a 7.5/10.

Seriously, see it for the ending.

Dubbed Loofah by Asa
UFAlien = UFA = oofah = Loofah
Tamir

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I think it'd be better if you spammed the film thread. =) There's not much need to have a whole thread for this.

That movie sounds interesting, though... I do love a good twist ending.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: