FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Games of Yore
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well see, that counts too! As do hand games, jump rope rhymes, make believe games (which were the precursor to RPGs, have we thought of that?) and anything you did for fun when you were a kid.

Replying to games: Tam, I find Life of Sarah absolutely hilarious, for some reason. Just imagining kids yelling out Chayei Sarah and pelting off across the field is so funny...

We played your Two Sticks with three, and called it Belts. Probably because it was originally played with belts instead of sticks. Actually, we also played it with shoes, and sweatshirts, and basically anything you can use as a thin marker on the ground that won't roll. Method of play was step/jump in between the sticks without knocking them, and you only got three jumps, period. Sometimes we extended it to four, but rarely. Last person jumps the farthest, the sticks are re-organized with a larger equal distance between, and the round begins again. Last one standing has to redo her jump to win, otherwise it's a tie between the last two.

And to show you it's all right, a clapping game we girls used to play, giggling over the 'innuendos' and feeling grown up:

Miss Lucy
Since I learned how to clap hands in rhythm, probably.

There was a pattern for it, but I can't remember it. I only remember the tune, which was the important part:

Miss Lucy had a tug boat
The tug boat had a bell
Miss Suzy went to heaven
The tug boat went to
Hello operator please give me number 9
And if you disconnect me
I'll chop off your
Behind the 'frigerator
there was a piece of glass
Miss Lucy sat upon it
and broke her little
Ask me no more questions
Tell me no more lies
The boys are in the bathroom
Zipping up their
Flies are in the meadow Bees are in the park
Miss Lucy and her boyfriend
are kissing in the D-A-R-K D-A-R-K D-A-R-K Dark Dark Dark!

It was the height of hilarity, I assure you. If you know the tune, it makes much more sense.

Hmmm... I remember one from about third grade regarding a plum and a half a stick of gum, or a stick of gum and half a plum, and pink, and... stuff. And I remember loving it, but I can't remember anything more than that. Anyone have any ideas?

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
daydreamer_girl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm, I always (well most of the time) had playbuddies...my bro and sis. We're all near the same age. And there were always neighbourhood kids to play with. I also lived in a small town and only had to cross the street to get to the main playground in town. Those were the days. Hey I just remembered!

What time is it Mister Wolf?
played at my grammie's
The person who's It stands an enough distance away from the other players, and turned away from them so It doesn't see them. The other players line up in a horizontal line. The other players ask "what time is it Mister Wolf?". The person who's It aka. Wolf has to say a number such as "3'oclock". The players have to move 3 steps, closer to the wolf. The players repeat this until the wolf feels the players are close enough to tag them. When the players ask the question again, the wolf says this time, "Time to eat you!| and tries to tag a player. If a player is tagged before they plass the original line they started from, then they become the wolf. If not, the wolf stay wolf.

Variation to those paper games
played with my siblings and cousins
This can be played with two or more people, but I usually only played it with one other (I'd like to play this with more!). Okay so you start out with a piece of paper and then you draw a head. Fold the paper and pass it to the next person. Then you draw the arms and torso, fold and pass on. Next, the legs. And finish off with the feet. Now you can unfold your drawings and uncover the ridiculous drawings you've made. Don't forget to drawing guiding lines such as near the neck because the other person won't know where it starts at.

Asa: hey! I remember when my friends sang that tugboat song! I never rembembered how it went. We said Miss Molly though. It also finished a little different too I think. I also remember a ton of skipping games too.

Here's a tune for a clapping game:

One elephant came up to play
upon a spider's web one day.

He had such enormous fun
that he called up another elephant to come. (Then you go to two elephants)

Don't ask me to describe the movements o_o

Pretend games...um...my sister and I would play with her ton of frogs, or my ton of dalmatians a lot. One time we played with her frogs for three hours straight! One of her frogs were a king, another a king, a prince, and a girl frog the prince was crushing over. He had a slightly french accent too XD Anyway, she had over 30 frogs and we remembered everyone of their names, what their voices sounded like, and what relationship they had with whom (parents, siblings, dating, crushes, enemies, friends). I guess you can say it was pretty elaborate for us as we could pick up the game and have the same or different story line.

We had so much fun playing pretend, I don't think we stopped playing with toys until we were near 12 or something when everyone else we knew at the age were into other things XD Actually, I went through some old toys that I wanted to get rid of, but I just couldn't get rid of almost any of them! They all had some kind of meaning to me and some memory of childhood. So there they stayed in a big bucket at my dad's house Rolling Eyes

dubbed "Emma" by Asa
Allicat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another clapping rhyme;

I went to the chinese restaurant to buy a loaf of
Bread, bread, bread!
She wrapped it up in a five pound note and this is what she
Said, said, said!
My... Name... Is...
Elvis Presley.
Girls are sexy,
Sitting in the back seat, (gesturing with thumb behind)
Drinking Pepsi. (gesturing as if drinking)
Having a baby (rocking motion with arms)
In the Royal Navy. (salute)
Boys go *kiss kiss*
Girls go *scream*

It made absolutely no sense whatsoever, but I think that was beside the point. The whole point was to make as much noise as possible while being given a legitimate reason to slap your playmates (albeit on the hands).

I had such a violent childhood.

I was a young leader for a Brownie unit for five years so I have a hundred of these games. A favourite was...

O'Connel Street
played at Brownies or with any large group of children
One player (usually the young leader) is decreed leader and they shout "As I went down O'Connel Street (echoed by other players) I saw..." and then something ridiculous is mentioned eg. A man on a unicycle. The other players then have to act this out, in this case by running round in circles picking their feet up like they're riding an invisible unicycle. The process is repeated as often as the leader deems necessary with increasingly complex oddities until the players are exhausted.

We played that a lot at the end of the meetings so they'd go home and sleep!

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
theBSDude

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daydreamer_girl wrote:
What time is it Mister Wolf?

I played that game, but the wolf was a fox and said "MIDNIGHT!" in stead of "Time to eat you!"

What time is it, Mister Fox?
Played with cousins, siblings, and during PE in elementary school.

Same rules as dreamer's version, but winning works differently:
Anyone caught be the fox joined the fox's team, until there was only one (or two or three, depending on how many people) rabbit left. That person wins the round and becomes the next fox.

TheBSDude, dubbed 'BS' by Asa and nicknamed 'Thebes.'
Keeper of the Tristam, The Amazing Non-Emo Vampire!(tm) and a Massive List of Webcomics.

"I'm like a ninja with no hopes or dreams." --Wally of Dilbert
Dark Mirf

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember one game.

Red Light, Green Light
Played in elementary.
Group of people run to get to the person who's the traffic light. When ever the traffic light person says "Red light!" the runner must freeze and if you move or fall, you're out of the game. "Green light!" means go (obviously), and the first person to reach the light stop becomes the next traffic light.
daydreamer_girl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mirf: I remember playing that too. Mostly with adults organising it though.

Fire water
skipping with a group
Yeah, skipping game. A whole group jumps, hopefully at the same time. A tune is said and whatever action is said, everyone has to do. If someone doesn't do the action, then they're out.

There's two versions of the tune for this game, just from the two places I've lived in.

Fire, water
Stand up, sit down
Turn around, touch the ground
Russian, bottle

Fire, water
sit down, stand up
russian, beer bottle

I could not stand the second one, because it sounds so akward and I grew up with the first one.

Hi low
skipping

Tune:
Hi, low,
medium, slow go
run through, jolly ole
pepper!
(rope turns pepper, or fast; repeat the tune)

or:
Hi, low
medium, jolly
snakes, cradle
pepper!

Whatever one you stop at, you have to jump to. So if you land on slow, the rope gets turned slow. You have to skip longer than your age so you can go again...I think. Jolly is either jump with one foot and covering an eye (for the second tune), or the rope turns like a cradle (the first one).

I have a handful more I think, but the list gets quite long -_-;

dubbed "Emma" by Asa
Claen'tor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From when I was more active, and my friends and I were not swamped with life in general (aka work):

Smear the Queer:
No idea why we called it that at the time. At the time, queer was a harmless word, and not meant in a malicious way among us. Anyway.

It's intended for only 2-6 players. The person who was the Queer had an American football and would run from one end of the yard to the other, trying to make it back and forth as many times as they could before tackled. Once tackled, they had to 'fumble' the ball, and whomever recovered it became the new Queer. It went on like this until we got completely worn out. XD

Killer:
We played this in the winter. No idea why, just never played it during other seasons for some reason.

One Killer would chase the other kids around the yard until he managed to tackle everyone, the last person to be tackled becoming the new Killer. Perhaps there was a good reason we played it in the winter-time. My younger brother (by four years) and his friends liked to play with us too, and they obviously couldn't quite get people down on their own, unless they had help (e.g. snow causing limited traction, thus easier to bring us bigger kids down). We'd be so active in that game that we were usually going about in below zero weather without shirts on by game's end because we were running so hard, and having such a blast.

Clearly, I never needed video games for violence fixes. XD Who needs a video game when you can clobber your friends as many times as you like to vent, and have fun at the same time?

Edit: I actually broke my arm playing Duck, Duck, Goose once. o.o; The grass was too slippery, and I landed badly when going for the safe seat.

Also, Musical Chairs:
I can't believe this game hasn't come up yet! Prolly because most people play very tame versions of it. XD

If you've never heard of this one, basically there are a number of people that walk around a number of chairs. The number of chairs is always one less than the number of people. They walk around the chairs, which are arranged in a cluster, until the music stops, then make a mad scramble to not be the one left without a seat. The one without a seat is out, and they remove a chair, starting anew with the trimmed group until at the end it's just one chair and one person beating out the other for a victory.

I played a notable game of it with... 10 people or so, and we were aged between 15-18 (this was the same party where I later would break my arm playing Duck, Duck, Goose. It was a wild party, apparently. o.o) My elder sister's boyfriend at the time made a wild leap for the last seat which entailed him literally diving over the people who were already seated for the last seat. Funniest thing is, he actually made it to the seat in time. We have it on video too. XD

Now Playing: Enter The Haggis - Lanigan's Ball

This be Claen'tor, signing off.

I like to post my music. It's a habit. Be nice. ;_;

'People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid.'
-Soren Kierkegaard

Dubbed Clan by Asa
Claen'tor = Claen = Clan
horsin'around

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skipping game Shallan taught me:

Andy Spandy
Sugardy candy
French almond rock

Bread 'n butters
For your suppers
All your mothers'
GOT!

Quite stupid, really.

I had a lame childhood. We played games with rocks, shoved people in the fishpond, and played with the animals. This probably accounts for a lot of strangeness later on, lol. My only playmates were my brothers and the twin girls down the road.

Those girls didn't like me. >>

If you fight for your limitations, you get to keep them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ponce
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A clapping game:
Miss Mary Mack(I can't believe no one's brought this up yet. . .)
From age three to age seven
Tune: Miss Mary Mack, Mack, Mack
All dressed in black, black, black
with silver buttons, buttons, buttons
All down her back, back, back.

She asked her mother, mother mother
For fifty cents, cents, cents
To see the elephants, elephants, elephants
Go jump the fence, fence fence

They jumped so high, high, high
Into the sky, sky, sky,
That they didn't come back, back back
Till the 4th of July, ly, ly.

Fuerte
Played a year ago in Mexico with a group of younger kids.
One person wraps their arms around a pole, and the rest of the players form a line, hanging on to each other's waists. So you'd have A, holding onto a pole, B holding onto A, C, holding on to B, D holding onto C. . .etc. Person D will try by pulling, pushing, jerking, or tickling, to make person C let go of person B. If C let's go, person D tries to do the same to person B, and then person A. If person D gets A to let go of the pole, they win, and the game starts again.

As for imaginary games. . .I liked playing Aladdin. I also like playing wilderness survival and digging up dandelions and wild onions. I used to play a ton of pretend games - most of which took place on a large pile of broken concrete that my parents were using to build a wall.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite pretend game was mermaids, whenever I was in the pool. I played this long past the time my friends outgrew it, and I still would if I could get anyone to play with me. Maybe that's why I like RPGs, it's essentialy the same thing.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
daydreamer_girl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, hey, can't forget about Pogs and Crazy bones. Those were the biggest things when I was in grade school. I still wouldn't mind playing crazy bones XD. I forget how to play marbles though...never really became a craze at school.

Asa: I probably would...

dubbed "Emma" by Asa
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Bones never made it to my part of the East Coast. My sunday school teachers had some though, and gave everyone one or two. They were strange - I'd forgotten about them.

I played mermaid too Asa! =]
Allicat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here! Mermaids was awesome fun up until I was swimming along the bottom mermaid-style (ie. just using the leg part of butterfly stroke) and I chinned the bottom of the pool. Owie!

My friends and I used to play Famous Five, Sonic the Hedgehog, The Rescuers (ya know, the film with the mice), Redwall (Brian Jaques) and all kinds of others. It was awesome being a kid and throwing off any sense of embarrassment to run aroud fighting bad guys or being kidnapped and rescuing each other. Oh those were the days... </nostalgia>

Maeniel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used to play pretend all the time! We'd be Pokemon, and before that, we were usually some sort of wildlife/animal.
Allicat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sister's just growing out of it now, but she still loves it, and some of her pretend ideas are really wuite complex. I'm trying to get her to write them down in a kind of chronicle. The kid has one heck of an imagination.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: