FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Games of Yore
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Games of Yore Reply with quote

Title in honor of the season.

Anyway, this is a thread for games you remember from your childhood. The arbitrary limit I'm going to set is at least ten years, because let's face it: If you can't remember your life longer than ten years ago, you're still in childhood.

Then I thought about it some more, and realized that was cruel. So the other limit is if you can't remember ten years ago, tell us about games you played when you were younger than ten years old. (If 'ten years ago' still puts you at older than ten, you don't have to observe this.)

Was that too confusing? No? Good. Here's the preferred layout for posts:

Game Name
When You Played It
General Rules

Example:

Red Rover
Played in grade school and summer camp
Two teams, hold hands stretched out in a long line, facing each other across a large field. Team A shouts, "Red Rover, Red Rover, please send... whisper whisper whisper giggle giggle giggle whisper... No! But - ... whisper giggle giggle... Hannah over!" Then Hannah runs across the field from Team B and tries to break through Team A's line. If she does, she grabs somebody from Team A and goes back to Team B. If she doesn't, she stays in Team B's line. Then Team B shouts Red Rover, and someone from Team A has to break through. Game is played until one team has all the players.

I loved this game! I miss it too. So, anyone else have fond or otherwise memories of childhood games?

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deep Blue Sea Undercover - "Deep Sea"
At our week long family reunion at the beach.
One person is chosen to be "it" while the rest of the players form a team. The team chooses a captain secretly, and then informs It that they are ready. Everyone stands in a circle, eyes closed, and counts together. One by one, players from the team slip out and go to hide, until It is the only one counting. Players hide, while It looks for them. The object of the game is for the entire team to reunite in a single hiding place before It finds them all. If captured, the player is taken to a jail, and is forced to stay there. However, if they wish to risk it, another team member can sneak up- or run, if they are confident of their speed - and tag the captured member. If contact is made, the captured member is free to go. If the rescuer is the captain, eye-contact is the only thing required to set the member free. Messages and clues are allowed to be left by team members indicating direction, or location of the jail.

My cousins made it up one summer when I was about seven, we played it several times every year and got EXTREMELY creative in hiding places. Hanging off of balconies is an example.
Maeniel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuck in the Mud
Played whenever in the pool

Basically, this is water freeze-tag. One person's It, and the rest scatter. When It tags you, you've got to stop moving, regardless of where you are. (Hopefully not in deep water or you'll be treading for a long time.) To unfreeze a person, a teammate has to swim between the frozen person's (the person who is 'stuck in the mud') legs. The goal is for It to tag everyone.
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bankok
played in the car on long trips

The first player says "Bankok." The next player must come up with the name of a city that begins with K, e.g. "Kalamazoo." The next player must come up with a city beginning with O, e.g. Osh Kosh. And so on -- each player must come up with the name of a city that begins with the last letter of the previous city.

City names cannot be repeated. If the name of the city ends in the word "city", e.g. "New York City", then disregard the last word and treat the previous one as the end of the name -- so "New York City" would call for a K name. Only real cities are allowed -- so no answers of "Munchkintown" or "Gondor."

A player is eliminated when he or she cannot come up with an appropriate city name in a reasonable time frame, usually a minute or two. When there are only two players left, and one of them cannot name a city with the current letter, then the other player must name a city starting with that letter in order to win. If he/she cannot, then it's a stalemate between the last two players.

Depending on how many people are in the car, it may be played in teams or individually. If there are young children present, they typically get to form a team with an adult even if others are playing individually, because otherwise they the game drags to a halt while they try to think of cities, or they get eliminated fast and then become cranky. Alternatively, young children may be allowed to look up cities in an atlas, which has the added benefit of being educational.

This is a loooooong game designed for car trips across the breadth of a continent. We played it usually when traveling from Denver, CO, to Washington, DC, a journey of about 1,600 miles, and a typical game would last from 4 to 6 hours. Pro-tip: watch passing signs identifying cities and write them down.
daydreamer_girl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooooh! I have many! Such as:

TV tag.
Played when I was younger than ten
You need sand for this one, preferably at a park. You draw a square in the ground which will be your "TV" and then you write the initals of a movie and you get the other players to guess what it is. If one person gets it, they have to run around the TV, or the plaground equipment, ooor something to run around and if you get tagged you have to be "it" and make others guess your movie.

Capture the flag
ditto
Again, we used to play this near a park. One team drew a line in the sand dividing the playground equipment and each team has to hide their flag on their side of the line. This only works if everyone is looking away when the flag is being hidden. Once the flags are hidden, members from each other's team tries to find the flag on the other side of the line. If you get caught by another member from the opposing team, you're out of the game.

Grounder
ditto
Again on playground equipment. One person is "It" and has to close their eyes. Then they have to tag someone and guess who it is. If you get it wrong you have to tag someone again and guess who they are again. If you get it right, the other person is it. You can't feel the person though, their clothes or their face. That's cheating Wink You can't touch the ground for more than 3 seconds either. Then you become it. That's why you have to be on the equipment for this one.

Freezer tag
ditto
If you got tagged, you couldn't move until someone touches you, then you unfreeze.

Zombie tag
ditto
Made up by my siblings and I. We'd bury one of us in this square sandbox and then the buried person would stand up, as if alive to tag the others. The person who's it though can't run, they have to walk. Well, zombies have stiff limbs y'know. We even walked with our arms streched out like frankenstein.

I guess that's all I have for now. Oh! Who could forget hide and seek? Skip rope games, clapping games...all the good stuff that I should teach my little sister Very Happy My older siblings and I used to play outside for hours.

dubbed "Emma" by Asa
electricpanda

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Clinker Game
Played at parties
You need: 1 packet of clinkers.
You put all the clinkers in a bowl, then you pass them around and guess what colour they are on the inside. If you get it right, take another one and guess again. If not, pass it on.
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a clinker, panda?
electricpanda

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a coloured sweet thing covered in chocolate. The pink and yellow ones are the best, and the green ones are gross.
theBSDude

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So like an inverse M&M?

TheBSDude, dubbed 'BS' by Asa and nicknamed 'Thebes.'
Keeper of the Tristam, The Amazing Non-Emo Vampire!(tm) and a Massive List of Webcomics.

"I'm like a ninja with no hopes or dreams." --Wally of Dilbert
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theBSDude wrote:
So like an inverse M&M?

Sounds more like an inverse, chocolate-covered skittle.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duck Duck Goose
All through the younger grades, from preschool up to about third, I guess.
You sit in a circle, and one person gets up to go around the outside. This person taps (strength of 'tap' varies depending on the child and his/her idea of 'funny') the sitters on head as he goes around, saying "Duck... duck... duck... duck..." When he gets tired of this, or the others in the circle get tired of this, he slaps somebody on the head and shouts "Goose!" then starts to run. The object of the game is for the first kid to get to the empty spot before the other kid tags him. If he's tagged, he goes and sits in the middle of the circle. If he gets to the empty spot and sits, the second kid becomes the tagger and starts the process over again.

One variation I remember is that we really ducked when the walker said 'Duck'. That might have been little-kid mischievousness, though. Also, as we got older, we called the center of the circle the soup pot, the salad bowl, the cheerleading squad, things like that.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Dark Mirf

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King of the Mountain
Played when I was six until they banned it at school when I was 9 years old.
This game reqires a large mound of dirt or snow. Very simple game, the goal is to become the "King" of the mound for as long as possible. The time goal varies, but in my case, there werent any. Several kids push each other over to retain the position and the "King" must defend the position.

It got banned because so many kids got injured (ie. bloody noses, broken bones, concussions). It was also a popular game at my school yard during winter time because we would have these huge snow dump to play atop.

I miss that game. Sad

The Killer
Throughout elementary. I'm sure there's several other names for it.
The goal is to find out who's the "Killer" is in the group. Everyone must close their eyes and someone (often the teacher) picks out a "Killer". Then when the person is chosen, everyone opens their eyes and goes around doing hand shakes. The Killer's job is to go around and stratch the victim's wrist with the index or middle finger (without having anyone see it). The victim must act out its death, but can't tell anyone who their Killer is. The winner is somone who guess the Killer.

Sometime in a large group, there can be more than one Killer.

Simon Says
Playing it since elementary. Very Happy
A person becomes "Simon" and this person gets to tell other people what they do. For example, "Simon says you swim like fishes" and people pretend they're swimming like fishes and so on.
But if "Simon" doesnt say "Simon says dance like monkies" and instead says "Dance like monkies" and you do it. You lose and must become "Simon".
electricpanda

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allicat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink Murder
Played at parties
All the players stand in a circle and one is chosen as the "detective". The detective leaves the room and a "murderer" is chosen. The detective re-enters and stands in the middle of the circle. The murderer signals their vitims to die by winking at them and their victim enacts their (often loud and violent) death. The detective gets three guesses to work out who the murderer is. If they are unsuccessful they are murdered and the murderer becomes the detective. If they are successful they go outside again and a new murderer is chosen.

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(in the spirit of murder games. . .)
Mafia
Been playing since I was 9 or so.
A narrator, or moderator, deals out cards to the group. A queen is the doctor, a king is a sheriff, an ace is mafia, and everything else is a civilian. Once everyone has seen their cards, the moderator says "Townspeople, go to sleep." Everyone puts their heads down and closes their eyes. The moderator tells the mafia to wake, and asks whom he or she would like to kill. The mafia points, and then goes back to sleep. The situation is repeated with the doctor, who is asked whom he or she would like to save, and the sheriff, who is asked whom he or she suspects - the sheriff will be told if they have correctly guessed the mafia, and it is up to them to convince everyone else. Everyone wakes up, and the moderator informs the group of who died, often with a funny story, and the process repeats. The goal is to kill the mafia before they kill you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: