FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Earthsong RPG
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Serious RPG's
PurpleCactusPlant

Location: 2010 Olympics (Please enjoy them, b/c I am paying for them).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bwuh? An ES rpg, done by the Lady? Sheesh, I need to come out from the rock I've been living under more often!

Characters look very cool! Exciting!
I will read this one for sure!
YatesOfYore
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*dies*

Okay, before we get this party started, I have a few things I want to check with you guys about how them Arr-Pee-Jee things work.

I realise that text rpgs are different than the tabletop variety in that they're more about telling a story, but do they still operate on the "turn" premise. I.E. I type a post and everyone gets one post and then I post again? I had a quick look at the other threads in this section, and that doesn't seem to be the case, but I thought I'd ask anyhow.

Also, your soulstone powers aren't limitless, so we're going to have to come up with a way to cap them other than what we feel like. So... should we introduce a dice element into it? Quantify the character's "mana" (so to speak) at the outset? Require sleep or a Ruthven boost to power up again?

I don't know if that's just making things needlessly complicated, but again, I'm a newb to the rpg world, and just thought I'd ask.

And is there anything else I should know or do before we get this thing going?

Last edited by YatesOfYore on Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Resident Fool

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if other people here do roleplays/RPGs the same way that I do - I've seen it done different ways - but here's how I've always done it in the past.

Generally, as far as the "turns" thing goes - I've never had any specific rules as far as that went. I just trusted people to be respectful and use a bit of common courtesy. For example, when reasonable/possible, a few people in one group should take turns, go one after another. Of course, sometimes it makes more sense to go ahead and post before someone every now and then, even if it is their "turn". Otherwise, things move too slow. Just don't leave anyone completely in the dust, and we should be fine.

I've never liked the dice element in roleplays. I feel that it makes things too complicated and annoying, and it takes away from the story aspect of it. And I feel that the story aspect should always come first. The way that I've always done things is to just trust people to roleplay well enough so that this doesn't become an issue. Good roleplayers should know that they can't do everything, and that their characters need rest. And that their characters can't win all the time - yes, god forbid, your poor character may lose. Generally, the people that I roleplay with have had no problems with this. Only on rare instances have I, or someone else, had to step in as a GM and set things right. Even when I do, though, things get resolved very quickly and easily.

I see no need for a dice/quantitative system.

I was dubbed Chan by Asa, just 'cause.
JackAce

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, a strict turn-based format isn't necessary (or even helpful) in pure storytelling situations (like social interaction) but more or less unavoidable in combat situations.

What I've been doing in my Mecha Knights RPG so far was to...

1) Describe what kinds of attacks the opposition is launching at the characters.

2) Have every player post his reaction to these attacks and/or counter-attack.

3) Post the outcome of both mine and their attacks (the opponets' reactions are part of the outcome).

4) Return to step 1).

The big drawback of this system is that a delay from a single player can hold up the entire game for quite a while.

If anyone can come up with a better system, I'd be happy to see it! Wink

And about the Soulstone Powers, I think it would be better to limit the powers in quality but not in quantity.

What I mean is something like this:

Lilith has the power of Pyromancy.

Instead of allowing her to create fire for a limited number of times, sshe can create fires of a limited size as often as she likes.

So, while she could not let an entire forest spontaneously burst into flames, killing everyone inside*, she can engulf her hand in fire to deliver flaming kung-fu strikes.

The rum-drinking trick was devised with this kind of limitation in mind. I figured she probably couldn't just go about lobbing fireballs at enemies. So instead, she takes a swig of rum, blows it out into a thin cloud and then uses her Power to ignite the alcohol, thus creating a "fire-breathing" effect. This fireburst would probably have a range of about 2-3 metres.

* Never mind the fact that Earthsong would be furious if any Pyromancer ever attemted to do something like that...

Please click on my Eggs and Hatchlings.

Last edited by JackAce on Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maeniel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They generally still operate on a turn basis. I know I try to wait for everyone to post before moving on, but sometimes that's not feasible (see: Real Life) or a character has addressed mine specifically. Sometimes it's when a character needs attention and requires more information to make a proper action. But having said that, if it strikes me as a time to post, I'll post. There's usually some down time where characters can interact.

Usually with ours, a person makes their character attempt an action and states what their intentions are. The GM replies with how their action turned out and what the consequences/ramifications are. So if you feel like a character's used their power too much, just say it failed and the monster scored a punch or something. Also, if a character is threatening to approach that red zone, you might say something to the effect of "If Chet kept switching his heat vision on, he might strain his eyes...." I know when I used Holy Light too much in Vamps, Rav would make my character's gunshots miss more and more until I made him rest a bit.

Hope that helps! Smile
The Resident Fool

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had explained things better for the second part - for how much the characters can do - I would have said something closer to what Maeniel here said. I'm just terrible at explaining stuff, lol.

Basically, I guess that what I meant to say is that, when attacking another character, the player shouldn't assume that they hit. They state the attempted attack, but not the outcome; generally, the victim of the attack decides whether his/her character dodges or is hit.

However, it might be a little different here. I admit, in the roleplays that I've all done the GM took a very minimal role. In essence, he/she was just another player who also happened to control most NPCs and had the final say. So I guess in this instance, the GM could automatically say if an attack hits if needed. However, I wouldn't reccomend doing this very often, or using it to land any major, crippling attacks. In the end, people really do like to be in control of their character's fates. Wink

thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To reiterate: Generally, action sequences (in our RPG model) will be almost exclusively 'turn' based - the players post their actions, and the GM resolves them. It's entirely up to the GM how to do that, but the end result is a post detailing those results. Personally, I just decide what works best story-wise. But you're welcome to do it with dice if that floats your boat. More dialogue-based 'chill-out' chapters might give players a little more free reign to post without the GM posting in-between - I tended to try to do one action chapter followed by one chill-out chapter in Mutants, to allow the characters time to recover and develop. Neither is a hard-and-fast rule, but it's generally how it falls out. In some cases when i've wanted to move things along quickly, i've changed things a little bit. I recall one situation in mutants when the characters were facing some giant rat lizard hybrid...things which were essentially cannon fodder. I gave the players free reign to kill them off and to sustain as much or as little injury as they fancied in the process, just to avoid a painful amount of interpolated posting.

And you might have to be a bit ruthless with people who don't post on time. Basically, in my games they just get dragged around at the back sitting out of the action.

You're very welcome to set up a mana type system for soulstone power usage - it would probably be simpler, though, to set up an 'ammunition' style system. For instance, Cochinell might get up to 20 'shots' of soulstone power per day, with a single blast of unfocussed light using one, and a blast of laser vision doing four. But it's probably simpler just to let players know when they're overusing powers so that they don't have to worry. Most of us are experienced enough to rein ourselves in.

You might want to read the rules thread, if you haven't already, too.

Last edited by thespaceinvader on Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maeniel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Augh! Ninja'd! >_<

EDIT: AUGH! THRICE!!!

Last edited by Maeniel on Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ravenna

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However, it might be a little different here. I admit, in the roleplays that I've all done the GM took a very minimal role. In essence, he/she was just another player who also happened to control most NPCs and had the final say. So I guess in this instance, the GM could automatically say if an attack hits if needed. However, I wouldn't reccomend doing this very often, or using it to land any major, crippling attacks. In the end, people really do like to be in control of their character's fates.

From what I've experienced in my time on the RPG forums, it's very much as Maeniel says and I think it works well 95% of the time. The GM lays down the setting and the baseline story, and the players write for their characters. Sometimes people bump heads over what's happened, especially when posts get written at silly o'clock.

As for combat, again it's as Maeniel said. I don't know if we could incorporate a dice system, but perhaps if we said that you can only use your Soul Stone attacks X amount of times and if a player uses their SS attack, they have to state it in brackets at the end of their post, and give how many times they have left.

I've been doing the same for supplies in VH, or if people are using their Powers, I just make a judgement call based on how many times that they've said they've used it. People should expect their characters to get injured during combat situations, at least some of the time. At the end of the day, it's the GM's decision to make a judgemental call on how much damage they think they would have recieved.

Edit: >< oh hang, I think Space ninja'd me, but what he said about chill-out sessions is true and good.
YatesOfYore
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabulous - thanks for the feedback everyone. I think we'll go with the whole "GM decides the outcome" model; I wasn't a fan of the dice method personally, but thought I'd throw it out there anyhow.

I have indeed read the rules, and I think we're about ready to go! I just need to write my introduction XD

I will do my very best to get on here at LEAST twice a day, but I can't guarantee any more than that - my wee man doesn't allow it! Anyhow, looking forward to it!

PS I'll be updating the pics in the near future too Very Happy
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twice a day is probably more often than you need for GM posts. Once a week is probably about as good as you'll get with a cast this size. Probably less...
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to add one more thing about limiting powers, as player who thinks about this overmuch. I usually think of my character's power like this:

(finite amount of energy)x(skill level)

Then it's a matter of maneuvering around that limit to figure out what she can do and how many times. So take Leah for example: She's very good at tiny stuff, and could probably move little things around telepathically for hours on end without really thinking about it. But for large or extremely complex things, it'd come out as one large burst and then she'd be useless. It's just like exercising muscles.

Did that make sense?

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
The Resident Fool

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that makes perfect sense. That's how I'd describe it too.

Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may, I'd like to comment on the limited power model, which needs further specificity, because the ES universe has some differences from other models.

There are THREE measures of power we're talking about here: overall capacity, bandwidth, and duration.

Overall capacity = the total amount of power that a whole planet has access to. Obviously our characters will not have access to everything all at once. Soulstone bearers are removed from their home planets specifically to prevent that, because it makes both the child and the soulstone go BOOM.

The distance from the child's home planet does not decrease the overall capacity available to the child; but it does impose a limit on how much power the child can tap at any given moment. That's the bandwidth. Maybe the home planet generates eight bazillion watts, but the soulstone bearer can only channel say 120 watts at once due to distance from the source.

But there's not a duration limit. Because the energy to exercise the power derives from the planet, not directly from the child, the child can keep channeling those 120 watts indefinitely.

I imagine all the usual rules of getting tired when you do stuff applies. So, for example, an elf activating far sight could keep it up for hours, as Gwendolyn does in the tower; but that won't stop her from getting tired of standing up, and so on. So there are limits imposed by the normal functioning of the child's body (need for sleep, food, etc).

I also suspect that just turning on your power and leaving it run 24/7 would eventually have odd side effects. Certainly K'Thonya and Tengu were impressed/worried by Nanashi using siderean powers twice in one day. On the other hand, the siderean bits aren't Nanashi's native power; she acquired those abilities when she picked up the siderean swords. So she's a special case, and it may or may not apply to other people.
electricpanda

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to throw in for Milk that the whole 'ammunition' thing probably wouldn't be as applicable (mainly because it functions more as something latent, like Neuria's, Tehmel's or Gwen's) - but I also figure that Milk will probably see the least combat because he'd much rather hide. Wimp.

So, um, I imagine it'd function somewhat like doing Tai Chi would - holding a position is more draining than allowing yourself to go free, etc.

@ Tin: That explanation makes absolutely no sense to me. I understand it like this - Home planet is the sea. All the planet's children are the coasts - children that can conduct the power are rivers. The more water is drawn through the rivers, the more the sides are worn away. Given this, is the bit about bandwidth saying that as it gets further from the coast, the rivers taper, letting less water through them? This metaphor is kinda broken if you consider that more water = being more worn away, but yeah. Basic idea.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Serious RPG's All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: