FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Writer's Group 7: AHH!! Real Monsters!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Maeniel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, it was. But you can never be too careful with those nice types, you know? Wink
Tenshi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@AsA: If that's gory, you've got nothing to worry about... of course, I may totally be jaded from my own past experience, so it's hard to say. ^^;

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
electricpanda

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Tinu: Don't worry, I chances are good that I'll drop out - I'll give you a fair head's up if I do.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pants, start writing it now if you're in danger of dropping out! Challenge yourself to get it done. You've got a month and half this time, make use of it!

Now it's incumbent on me to follow my own advice...

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
electricpanda

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's the NaNo I'm worried about, not the time. I can write a story in a month in a half, but I haven't done the NaNo before, so I'm an 'unknown quantity'.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work the monster into your NaNo. Two birds, one stone!

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
electricpanda

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I could probably do that... *strokes chin* Thanks for the idea!

(It'll probably be really weird, though. Given the whole vibe I want the story to have)
Asa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So be wierd! Life's better that way.

Dark Mirf

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maeniel wrote:

For those not in the ESRPG, (and even those that are,) you could even create a character and put them on modern Earth. (American werewolf in Paris?)

I'm sorry, I'm dense today... What is ESRPG?

I'm certain its something obvious, but my brain isnt processing.
Tamir

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESRPG = Earthsong RPG = the new RPG which the Lady is running.
Asa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want something like a profile, or more like a snapshot?

Maeniel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More like a snapshot, please. Smile
Dark Mirf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamir wrote:
ESRPG = Earthsong RPG = the new RPG which the Lady is running.

*facepalm* D'OH!
Asa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I guess amounts to a preliminary draft. I'm getting critique on it in class, so I will be changing it, so if y'all have comments and critique, please let me know about it!

Quote:
People who say Monsters donít cry donít know what theyíre talking about. Itís not a matter of emotion; some just donít have tear ducts. Me, I have tear ducts. I cry when sand gets in my eyes, when I win the lottery, when my mom dies, whatever. None of thatís happened yet (except maybe the first one), but thatís beside the point. The point is that some monsters donít cry. Monsters like Bill and Freddy Ė Billaboz and Fredunget, the Slimeball twins Ė donít have eyes, let alone tear ducts. Theyíre literally balls of slime, and I personally find them gross. Who could love something like them? Not me, I tell you. They actually budded, so I canít even say they had a mother who loved them.

I had a mother. She was a lovely mother. She sang me bedtime stories and stuff like that, and I drew her pictures when I was in kindergarten. And if you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn. Monsters donít have lovely mothers, we have female monsters who give us birth and feed us until they can fob us off on the system. Iím registered as a Bad Dream, but Iím actually more along the lines of a Bed Lurker. I think my dad must have been a Closet Monster, Ďcause while my mom is indeed a Nightmare, Iím nowhere near as bad as she is. I sort of haunt the shadows in dark corners and under beds, creating moods of despair, which does lead to bad dreams, but I donít do it directly. I love it. Itís so much fun.

Bill and Freddy work in the deep woods, creating impressions of huge moving fungi to scare hikers and Boy Scouts, and lend fuel to the haunted-woods syndrome. Madame Greetchnik embodies the Fear of Grandmothers; sheís what you picture when you mom tells you the grandma youíve never seen is coming to visit. I think she takes her job a little too seriously. She doesnít actually have to look like a scary grandmother, with wrinkles and bad teeth and a hump and weird glasses. I think she does it just to be disconcerting. Most monsters donít actually look like the humans we scare, though some come awfully close. In general, we think humans look ugly. Theyíre little and pink, and completely useless. Madame Greetchnik is one of the few who think it amusing to copy her fear-self in real life. The worst part is, most of us have to see her every week. Sheís the registrar.

ďWell, hello there, Madame!Ē I say sweetly as I come up to the desk. ďAnd how is your pretty self faring today?Ē

ďBetter before you showed up,Ē she groused. She actually has a pretty voice, completely in contrast with her face. I guess she has some pride.

ďAw, but you know I just canít stay away.Ē

ďYes, I do, which is why Iím not complaining.Ē

Wait, not complaining? Yeah right. I guess sheís in a bad mood today. ďWhat happened, lovely, someone not scared of you?Ē

ďNone of your business. Go check in and get to work, I donít want to see you again until six.Ē

I smile at her again Ė though she probably canít see it Ė and make my way over to the clocking station. It was difficult. Sometimes I wish my mother had been something moreÖ substantial than a Nightmare. If I had been a purebred, I would be completely intangible as well, just a wisp. As it is, if youíre not paying attention and Iím not exerting myself, itís very difficult to see me, and monsters run into me all the time. Iíve got a basic form, sort of human-ish, with a head bit and four limb bits, but itís all very nebulous and changes with my mood. I really look like an opaque shadow, and Light and I have a rocky relationship. He doesnít like me, and I donít like him, but we need each other to do our jobs properly and avoid each other like Plague when we arenít working. Plague is not a pleasant character. Heís always hacking and coughing, his voice is all gummy and heís so clingy. Always hanging all over you and getting you messy. Fortunately, Iím not solid. Oh, I can be solid if I want, but itís not my natural state, and I donít really have cause to most of the time. Lurking in corners doesnít exactly lend itself to tactile importance if you know what I mean, and I donít really care either way.

When I clock in, my slip informs me Iím working station four today. Ah, little kids, how I love thee. So easy to scare. All I need to be is deeper shadows, and theyíre bawling. Itís no challenge at all, it really isnít. Just hanging around, spinning a bit of despair every so often. Practically a day off. Sometimes I like to challenge my talent and creativity, needing to be whole complex things like helplesshopelessimpossiblelonesome, or an image of something. There was this one boy whose father beat him every night, and I had to actually do research to figure out what this guy looked like so I could impersonate him. Itís really hard to get details right, especially because my natural coloring is so bland. But after the boring research was out of the way, it turned out to be one of my nicest pieces of work. I show it off every so often, when someone convinces me at a party or conference. Mostly when Iím trying to impress bigwigs and convince them to upgrade me to Bed Lurker.

ďHoi, Light, howís it going?Ē I hate his guts, which makes it all the more fun when Iím nice to him. And who names her kid by his type, anyway? So unoriginal.

Lightís perfect face grimaces. ďMirin, youíre late.Ē Perfect face, perfect form, perfect perfect perfect. Heís almost a celebrity, and I have to work with him. Ugh. Yeah, and nobody notices me, either! Thatís what I get for being a shadow.

ďIím not late, lovey, Iím on time. Youíre early!Ē I point to the clock in the corner, marking off everybody on station fourís shift times. Our hand reads, ďBeginning NowĒ, in flashing letters, meaning weíre almost late. Not yet, but soon. ďLetís go then!Ē

I really do like my job. Itís nice to be good at what I do, to know that I have a lasting effect of the ephemeral minds of humans. Canít forget the monsters, of course; I tend to make the weaker types wary. And pretty soon, I should be up for the Best Monster in my classification again! I love my job.

Asa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay... does anybody have anything to say about this piece? Mane, should I tweak it any to fit the guidelines better?

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Written Word All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: