FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Thought Experiment
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

firefly

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunshine wrote:

@ firefly - That would be psyche, and it's only about masks if that's what you're getting out of it Wink

My spelling is not the best, lol

Also yup, I know what you mean Wink

Earthsong RPG number 2 fan girl and fanclub member
Allicat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She is a debutante being presented in public by her family as eligable for courtship. She is not happy with this arrangement. Who are they to say when she is ready to be courted? She is stood away from the party by the buffet table, trying to avoid any contact with the guests. Her body language is very defensive and closed in, especially the shape of the shoulders and her hair over her face. I can just see her mother constantly brushing it out of her eyes. She has just felt someone watching her and is uncomfortable with that level of scrutiny.

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
sunshine

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Alli - hehe, I like the part about her mom constantly pushing the hair from her face XD

I find it curious how so many people have attributed negative emotions to her... This is drawn from a reference picture, which I'd chosen specifically for its neutral pose and expression, as well as the slight amount of movement. Interesting. Very Happy

My deviantART page

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Tyris

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're the only one who believes the pose to be a neutral one, you might want to wonder about the validity of that belief. Wink

"It's a sad thing when a man loses his cookie." - Nem
theBSDude

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except that different people say they see different kinds of poses.

TheBSDude, dubbed 'BS' by Asa and nicknamed 'Thebes.'
Keeper of the Tristam, The Amazing Non-Emo Vampire!(tm) and a Massive List of Webcomics.

"I'm like a ninja with no hopes or dreams." --Wally of Dilbert
sunshine

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Tyris - I chose the reference because, out of my options, it was the least expressive of any strong emotions. Sure, that doesn't mean it's devoid of emotion altogether, but then nothing ever truly is Wink

My deviantART page

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, I saw positive. Contently positive, but positive.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
electricpanda

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pose seems slightly secretive to me, but the hidden eyes... I don't like. It freaks me, a little.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know! I keep wanting to push her hair out of her eyes and give her a hug.

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
Spindrifter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's on a busy city street, next to a concrete retaining wall, slightly decorative. She's about to board a bus. Her hair falls over her face to hide her eyes from the man looking at her from the church doorway and wondering why. She's catching at her dress so it doesn't drag on that first step onto the bus.

The forward lean to her figure, the hair, the arms indicating hurry, the uncertain cast to her lips... That's what I see.
daydreamer_girl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, my picture of it was a little mundane. The action was happening around the girl rather than she being the action.

dubbed "Emma" by Asa
sunshine

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yours is unusual in that most people don't come up with that much detail as to what stuff is around her. Just means you've got an especially vivid imagination, I'd wager ^_^

My deviantART page

daydreamer_girl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or probably stuff I'd be doing if I was in her spot. Looking around at everything. I'm usually not so involved with action either.

dubbed "Emma" by Asa
Squeeself

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, it's a symptom of having too many art classes this semester but...rather than thinking about filing the blank spaces, Squee's mind is trying to ask why the artist chose quite that much negative space, why things are cropped the way they are, blurry edges, etc. Since a lot of that stems from being a though experiment well...meh.

Squee'll attempt to indulge you though...

She's wearing a fancy white dress, most likely a bridal dress. One thing out of place though is her hair is dropping down over her eyes; since she's not in the process of getting ready, Squee would say that her hair has since fallen that way or was never done to begin with. With her eyes covered and little expression in her mouth, this leaves her looking depressed, saddened, or flustered. Her pose and the movement of her dress initially suggests that something out of sight has caught her attention as she was strolling (yes, strolling--her hand is placed casually on the banister), yet she is gripping her dress rather too tightly for someone on a leisurely stroll. Yes she doesn't seem overly startled or frightened. This leaves the entire scene in a somewhat contradictory mood. Which is inline with various emotional states that a possible bride could be in.

So, Squee's gonna leave it like this: The poor girl was left at the alter, or the groom called off the wedding, or something along those lines. Here, she is wandering, and with all that white area, makes her look quite alone (likely outdoors in the late morning--the lighting quality and color is inconsistent to really place her, but the speculars don't allow her to be indoors). She's been wandering in a daze, apparently unable to cry, maybe even unable to feel much of anything else but a sense of loss. During her wanderings, she's absently fiddled with her hair, or otherwise caused it to fall over her face. Or more likely, when she removed that missing veil it messed her hair up. And she hasn't cared. Again, here we have someone who has managed to get her attention and she is turning and looking at us over her shoulder, still too traumatized to really pay attention. As she's turning though, some part of her holds out hope that her groom is the one she is turning to look at, as she clutches her dress tighter. We are still in the act of the turn, however, so we don't really see the reaction, nor who it is. It, at the very least, is someone who sounds like her groom to cause the stiffened reaction. The feelings of happy memories that the fluffy border seems to say it is her groom.

All in all...Squee has REALLY stretched imagination. The piece is very vague, and if it weren't for its purpose as a thought experiment, Squee would say that its inconsistencies and contradictions ruin any real interest the piece could have, and ruins it. If these inconsistencies produced further investigation of what was going on in themselves, it would be a lot more successful, but it just feels TOO confusing, and not a puzzle to be figured out.

Forgive Squee...critiquing Squee's peer's art is all Squee has been doing for the last few months in one of Squee's classes...can't help it anymore. Twisted Evil
Asa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your critique, but I have a feeling this was more along the lines of a sketch than a full-scale painting, right Sunny?

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: