No
62%
 62%  [ 10 ]
Plastic wrap?
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 16

Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Rap Music Reply with quote

I'm slogging my way through Mos Def's New Danger, because my Creative Writing teacher is forcing us to listen to it and write a response by Friday. >_< I'm hating it already - second line of the first song, and already he said "touch me, f*** me." HELP! I will need so much support in this endeavor, you have no idea.

I also have to pick a rap song and analyze it for an in-class presentation. Do any of you have ideas for a song that isn't about sex, drugs, violence, hate or abuse? (Also, I need to pick it by this week, since the thing is due November 5, so this I really do need your help on!)

And if you've got opinions on rap, feel free to post them here. I probably won't be mining them for content, but since I have an extremely limited view on rap (won't touch it with a ten-foot pole, specifically), a wider range of opinions is probably a good thing to have, you know?

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know some Christian rap. . .or what might count as rap - but that's about it. You could always look up songs by topic - because I'm fairly sure people rap about issues in addition to the obscene.
JackAce

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it required that the song you pick must be relatively recent?

'Cause, a lot of classic hip hop is a lot less offensive than the modern crap.

For example, I could recommend It's Tricky by Run DMC (Video)(Lyrics).

If you really want to stand out from the crowd, you could also use Bring the Noize by Public Enemy & Anthrax (Video)(Lyrics). This one's obviously somewhat aggressive, but still a lot less offensive than many contemporary songs.

And if all else fails, there's still this... (Lyrics) Very Happy

Please click on my Eggs and Hatchlings.
devilman2045

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Rap Music Reply with quote

Asa wrote:
I also have to pick a rap song and analyze it for an in-class presentation. Do any of you have ideas for a song that isn't about sex, drugs, violence, hate or abuse? (Also, I need to pick it by this week, since the thing is due November 5, so this I really do need your help on!)

Hands Held High by Linkin Park isn't necessarily rap, but it has the same general feel to me. It's clean, and actually makes you think about the issue. It looks at the issue from a few different perspectives, and brings them togethor in a unified stance. There are a couple curses in it (read two (2) curses), but not like the typical rap song that's full of curses and and the like.

I know they took a couple of lyrical styles and smashed them togethor for this one. Rap was one of them I believe. Check it out really quick.

http://www.lyricstop.com/albums/linkinpark/handsheldhigh.html
Namrorrim

Location: a small country on the sunny shores of the Eastern Mediterranean.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's some Israeli rap that As far as I know is mostly political based, but that's only what I've heard. . . refuse to listen to it Meself.

Dubbed 'CATMAN' by Asa [Lots of cats + Man (From name) = Dub*]
Maeniel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handlebars by Flobots is completely devoid of curse words, sex, hate, and abuse. It does talk about drugs, but it's in the medical sense (vaccinations etc). The violence it talks about is a complete exaggeration and is pretty much impossible--it's more to demonstrate to the listener the narrator's ego than anything else.

lyrics
Ravenna

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Nano was talking about Matisyahu - he's an Israeli rapper, but I believe most of his work is either fairly political or religious. I'm not super-knowledge about his ouvre.

I'd also recommend Dragon Ash, in particular Stairs Up to Heaven on a Quiet Day or Yume de Aetara (If We Could Meet In A Dream).
Namrorrim

Location: a small country on the sunny shores of the Eastern Mediterranean.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is this 'Nano' you speak of?

Also no I was not referring to Matityahu, he's a Regge singer, who sings religious things, and who I also happen to dislike for whatever reason.

Dubbed 'CATMAN' by Asa [Lots of cats + Man (From name) = Dub*]
Tenshi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a requirement that you listen to Mos Def's album, then you should be able to go to your professor and explain that you find the album religiously offensive... I would wish any professor luck in trying to force that issue in America. If it's offensive to your religious views and morals, or you find the musical content personally offensive, you can likely get an exclusion from the assignment and a make-up assignment.

Depends on your institution, though... As stereotypical as it sounds, there are quite a few differences in the South and North. That Mason Dixon line is impressive in dividing people's sensibilities.

As for the rap though, several of the suggestions so far have been pretty good. I have a suggestion of my own, that you'd have to be pretty bold to claim isn't rap (I mean, East vs West?). Anyway, it's moderately clean and even has a pretty interesting message behind it. I think there's a couple of curse words, and of course some mentions of violence and sex. All the same though, when it comes to rap, this is likely to be one of the less offensive Modern American rap songs.

Tupac - Until the End of Time (lyrics)(Youtube)

I feel sympathy for you, AsA. I never listened to rap until I moved in with a friend of mine who grew up in the inner city. I still don't listen to what he does, but I have my own tastes in rap. Some of it's alright, but I don't listen to it often (even the stuff I do like). Good luck with your project, and if you need any advice on modern American rap let me know. As I said, I get subjected to a lot of it through my friend(s). Razz

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Nem

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skee-Lo Never Crossed My Mind
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd5O7zFtUMo

Mentions violence but in a negative 'oh how foolish' sense, no harsh language. Mid 90s.

Be kinda interesting to contrast against spagheti Western music or something similar I guess.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=G02b5pfnJYk

Given that's got a slightly more classical structure to it but still some easily noticeable rythmic content you can go pretty much anywhere from there.

Personal opinion on rap? Not really something I enjoy most of the time. It doesn't occur in my social circles very often and what I've heard of it tends at least to be very boring.
- Issa
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are amazing, thank you so much! Keep 'em coming, this is great.

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
YatesOfYore
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K'os is a Canadian rap artist whose music is clean, intelligent and really good to listen to as well.

His myspace has a few of his new songs available: http://www.myspace.com/kos

Youtube has many of his videos:
EDIT: Bah... bad link. You know where Youtube is if you want it.

But aside from that, I'd recommend "crabbuckit"

Hope that helps!

Last edited by YatesOfYore on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Asa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Crabbuckit as much as I like any rap song, and I like that his songs are actual songs, you know? Actual music. I'll ask my teacher tomorrow whether I'm allowed to use a non-American singer.

Oh, and Usa - You said claim religious offense to get out of it. I've tried that before... twice. This guy just says, "Oh, that's really interesting, why don't you write about it in the assignment?" He doesn't understand that some things are offensive - he just doesn't understand at all. This would turn out the same way, he'd say "Write about how this offends you." *rolls eyes* I've given up, really.

Tenshi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@AsA: I'd offer some non-constructive criticism about your creative writing instructor, but you probably already feel the same way about him, so... All I can say is good luck. It sucks that you have to do an assignment that is so detestable, I hope it goes quickly for you.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Allicat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try "L-Train" By Shootyz Groove. No swears, and a tiny amount of suggested violence. It's one of the few rap songs I can listen to without shouting at the radio like a loon.

On a related topic, Dylan Moran does a highly amusing rant about rap. Try searching "dylan moran rap monster" on youtube. I'm at uni at the moment, so I can't go on it to make sure, but I'll try to when I get home.

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: