FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Computer Games
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Virturealm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smash Bros?

*head pops up*

Maybe as much as two thirds of my gaming the last year or two has been Smash. I'm part of a "club" on campus that's almost completely dedicated to Smash. Wasting all our friday nights (in a top level party school no less) playing on a 15 foot projector screen until 4-6 in the morning. Oh yes. Very Happy

I have a Wii, a 360, a DS, and assorted older consoles. I don't play as much as I used to though. I just seem to run out of hours in the day. And considering my schedule (or lack thereof), this is a serious mystery, as to why this is happening. Probably in part because I've kept myself from buying anything for a long time, because I don't have an income, and I have a huge backlog of uncompleted titles, and cheaper Virtual Console games to work through.

So yeah, I'm mostly into old SNES games at the moment, with a little KOTOR and Oblivion on the side. And Stepmania.

@sunshine: I was going to recommend Marvel Ultimate Alliance. I'm not terribly familiar with the genre, and comics might turn off some people, but it's pretty awesome, and supposedly the best console hack/slash in a long time.
__|..|..|__|
sunshine

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Grimwatch - we've played it to death already, as with most of the classics of the genre. And the new games coming out are all geared towards online multiplayer, which while handy in that it allows everyone to play on their own TV, really sucks when you've got a couple friends crashing on your couch on a Friday night.

@Virturealm - I'll have to take a look at it, see whether the comic book aspect is a turn off or not. 'Cause while it seems like it could be fun, there's just nothing out there to quite compare to the simple joy of watching your axe-wielding tank slicing through throngs of generic henchmen ^_^

My deviantART page

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Tenshi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Sunshine: First, yes I am in fact a Fallout fanboy. Fallout has influenced my writing style and my storytelling from the moment I played through them. To this day, that brand of black humor is still something I ache for in a new game. I Bethesda pulls through, I will probably lost myself in Fallout 3 even more than I did Oblivion. I'm not a huge fan of medieval stuff, though, so... I bet I will vanish when F3 comes out. XD

Also, if you're looking for a good PS2 hack n' slash, my ex-wife and I used to really enjoy playing "Champions of Norrath". It's set in the Baldur's Gate world, but it's an isometric view hack n' slash. Very addicting, awesomely smooth gameplay, and tons of enemies to chop into bits. The graphics are slick, for the PS2. It's not stunning, but it's pretty darn good.

IRT Thread: SecuROM is evil. Ironically, it only inspires more piracy from those who know how to pirate a game, and less sales from people who don't know how to pirate a game. I present this as my evidence. Razz

(FYI: Copy Protection on PC games is insane from companies like EA. You are essentially "renting" the game, the EULA states this. You purchase a number of "installations" for your game, and once you've installed it that many times (usually 3) then the activation code stops working. Oh, and if EA closes it's doors and their Authentication servers shut down? You have a $60 drink coaster. Some people, myself included, refuse to purchase PC games with such schemes attached. That's actually what chased me to consoles finally...)

As for the Wii: "Boom Blox" was pretty fun. I heard rave reviews about "No More Heroes", but the game really disappointed me. Tries way too hard to be "hardcore", but lacks the basic polish in controls that are required for a third person hack n' slash... so sad. "Boom Blox" is good though.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
sunshine

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Tenshi - Yea, we did CoN, that was our most recent foray into the fun and gore. The cut scenes amused me, they were always of just player 1's character, and at one point, after player 1 had died in the boss fight just prior to the cut, we got to watch the entire thing without any characters in it at all.

My deviantART page

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
daydreamer_girl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virturealm wrote:
Smash Bros?

*head pops up*

Maybe as much as two thirds of my gaming the last year or two has been Smash. I'm part of a "club" on campus that's almost completely dedicated to Smash. Wasting all our friday nights (in a top level party school no less) playing on a 15 foot projector screen until 4-6 in the morning. Oh yes. Very Happy
Ah! I wish I went to school where you were! I remember at a wakethon at my school we made a "game room" for video games. My sister and I were all pumped up to play Smash Bros but everyone we played against left within 2 rounds and flocked to the 360 to play Halo Rolling Eyes . We were only getting started! Disappointing...

Quote:
So yeah, I'm mostly into old SNES games at the moment, with a little KOTOR and Oblivion on the side. And Stepmania.
I love SNES games! Well, I did before my system kicked out on us...and the controllers lost the pause and reset buttons.

dubbed "Emma" by Asa
GoddessDragonsbane

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old snes died too. Thats why I love the virtual console on the wii Very Happy. I had myself a retro gaming night, Snes, Megadrive, nes and master system games only (with a splash of commadore 64)

Was fun fun fun Very Happy
GoddessDragonsbane = Dragon = Drag = Brag
Namrorrim

Location: a small country on the sunny shores of the Eastern Mediterranean.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I bought the Orange box, and Tam and I finished portal <3 It's so epic ^-^

Dubbed 'CATMAN' by Asa [Lots of cats + Man (From name) = Dub*]
theBSDude

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The end song is great, isn't it.

TheBSDude, dubbed 'BS' by Asa and nicknamed 'Thebes.'
Keeper of the Tristam, The Amazing Non-Emo Vampire!(tm) and a Massive List of Webcomics.

"I'm like a ninja with no hopes or dreams." --Wally of Dilbert
Namrorrim

Location: a small country on the sunny shores of the Eastern Mediterranean.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah xD I think the best part was

Possible Spoiler:
When Tam and I tried getting around killing the Companion cube by throwing cameras into the incinerator instead XD

Dubbed 'CATMAN' by Asa [Lots of cats + Man (From name) = Dub*]
Tamir

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, that was an awesome game. Very Happy
Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the Orange Box for my brother, for his birthday. I very, VERY shortly thereafter became addicted to Portal. I mean, that game was...

Most games don't inspire that level of creativity. There's always "the right way" to beat the game. In Portal, sure, there was the "best way" to beat the game. But there were a million other "possible" ways, in which your skill and reaction time played an equal part with your strategic planning and spatial perceptions. In short?

I've never been a fanboy of anything, until Portal. I heart me some Portal!

"There will be cake!"

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Virturealm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portal was actually kind of lost on me...I think it's because of the boards I hung out at back then (GFAQS). Not only did I know every joke months ahead of time but they had been completely done to death. And the game turned out to be shorter than I expected, and the hype would have led me to believe.

I feel ashamed. Crying or Very sad
__|..|..|__|
Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh, hanging out on any game FAQ message board is a good way to be disillusioned with games instantly. I'm the type of person who doesn't read into the hype. If I'm into a genre, I'll look at what comes and and who's making it. Then I'll wait for some actual reviews to come out before I purchase. This also serves to bring the price down. ^^;

A few games I haven't followed that pattern with, recently:

Assassin's Creed (absolutely nothing like it, this game is MADE OF WIN)
GTA 4 (Need I explain?)
Oblivion (I still love and adore Morrowind, too. I own both on XBox & PC)

I'm also planning on purchasing Fallout 3, irregardless of reviews or hype. I have to see, with my own eyes, the new Fallout. It's like...Duke Nukem, for RPG fans.

I'll do the same for Fable II when it comes out. Fable was a mind-blowingly awesome game IMO. Despite all it's limitations and the code that was removed, the game was slick. It had polish in abundance. And, I dunno, I loved that. Razz Keep in mind, Fable was a regular XBoX game. I play it now, and it compares still to current 360 games. That's...mind-blowing. I can't wait to see Fable II.

I can't really think of anything else I'm looking forward to, release wise. Anyone got any suggestions?

Red Skelton
Dark Mirf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have Assassin's Creed, my husband beat the game. Unfortunatly playing it is difficult for me since there's no subtitles. Sigh!! We have Fallout and whenever we host LAN parties, there's always gonna be some Fallout, Dawn of War, AVP Primal Hunt, Fear, Halflife, etc.

I've recently started playing Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.
PurpleCactusPlant

Location: 2010 Olympics (Please enjoy them, b/c I am paying for them).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the fortune of having a super powerful laptop that can play Call of Duty 4 no problem... and no mouse (or time to play games for that matter).
Ever try playing a first person shooter with a touch pad? Not easy.

Current games loaded: Warcraft and Frozen Throne, Jedi Knight II: Outcast
Dying to play: Assassin's Creed and Crysis.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: