FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

It just occured to me...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Plot, Character, and Current Page Discussion
Tamir

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe there are other sorts of species, but by chance we haven't yet seen any of them?
cvcdaisy3

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, other than the dragon, this is the farthest we've seen from a humanoid shape, other than the dragon manifest, depending on what differences are counted as more relevant. Personally, I'm not complaining, humanoid shapes are a lot more familiar, and it's deffinitely easier to guess how they sound, walk/move, and what senses are available to them...
Koneko-Ealain

Location: The Moon... or the Pacific NW. I get those confused sometimes.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the thought of Tengu's face and reproduction: Maybe they reproduce like Kiff Kroker did in Futurama. Mr. Green

Virturealm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that the most non humanoid sentient we've seen is the not-currently-canon wolf with a soulstone from the original version. I was just going to find that page to link, and I noticed that my link to the museum no longer works. Is it gone? Surprised
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wolf-with-a-soulstone was never actually anything beyond a concept - it never appeared in the comics at all and was declared as non-canon. So i don't really see how it's relevant...
YatesOfYore
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The museum's under reconstruction and isn't available at the moment.

As for non-humanoids, there aren't going to be too many. Like in Star Trek, it's going to be the basic form for sentient life in the Earthsong Universe.
Tyris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planets are so unimaginitive. Wink

"It's a sad thing when a man loses his cookie." - Nem
Virturealm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wolf (or rather A wolf) totally appeared in Genesis. In one of those illustrations with random colored silhouettes floating in space. Unless I'm crazy...
cvcdaisy3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virt wrote:

The wolf (or rather A wolf) totally appeared in Genesis. In one of those illustrations with random colored silhouettes floating in space. Unless I'm crazy...

I checked, and I've got to say... you're crazy, unless I missed something
Tamir

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pfft, that was the original. Get with the redux, man!
atom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just like to remind you all that breasts developed in humans *because* we think they are sexy - and sexy females get/got to reproduce more. It is a fact that no animal female, be it ape, wolf or any other mammal, has no breasts while not actively producing breast milk.

Maybe, just maybe, the, khm, chest, is the universally sexy body part even in species that do not use it as a part of the reproduction process. If the planets thought so (and let's count the dragon out, he's the required ever-present statistical anomaly), their sentient children might inherit the same trait.
Cypher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atom wrote:
I'd just like to remind you all that breasts developed in humans *because* we think they are sexy - and sexy females get/got to reproduce more. It is a fact that no animal female, be it ape, wolf or any other mammal, has no breasts while not actively producing breast milk.

Apart from that last sentence being a triple negative and totally incoherent, almost all mammals have mammary glands. It's part of what makes us mammals. And apes have the same mammary structure we do, you just don't normally look for it (since that'd be creepy), and it's less pronounced. It's less about sexy and more about survival.

As proof, I submit the fact that our culture's idea of the 'ideal breast size' has changed repeatedly. A few decades ago, flat and skinny was the way to be. Nowadays, the bigger the better, as if that really matters. I will never understand people's facination with breasts. Ever.

That being said, I am officially putting my foot down on all matters of reproduction, breasts, and anything else along those lines. The Lady, in her infinite wisdom, has already stated that these won't be an issue for the comic, and we're drifting outside the bounds of PG-13. Plus this is just getting REALLY FREAKING AWKWARD.

Back onto the real topic, the highly anticipated Celestiary is coming, so we'll finally be able to see more examples of the wonderful races that have come to Earthsong. Until then, all we're going on is guesswork.

As far as humanoids go, almost all the planet's manifests are humanoid, and if Gaea is any example, the children are based loosely off their planet. So the vast majority of all races on Earthsong will be humanoid, backing up what the Lady just told us. Variations on humanoid (bugs, lizards, three-eyed tentacle creatures that can make plants bloom) are of course, still fair game.

Officially dubbed Pez by AsA
Cypher = code = problem = puzzle = Puzz = Pez

Keeper of Skogul's berserk rage, and the Endless Void.
atom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to clarify that block, after that I'll shut up. I just cannot stand being misunderstood, especially if it's because I had written something badly.

What I *actually* wanted to say was that no mammal other than humans have their chest pronounced unless they are actively breastfeeding. That is, they are not extruded. I was NOT saying that they don't have glands and/or other appendages that go with them. More than a few scientific articles mention that the permanent extrusion in humans developed as a secondary gender characteristic. Check out the wikipedia article for a first clue. (the first sentence of the linked text)

Also, I am not from a country where any censorship is in place, and don't even know the equivalence to PG-13. So sorry if I cross the line sometimes, I was not raised in a country where such things mattered.

Now I'm happy to close this debate.

Cheers,

G
Scrutoniser

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay just b4 we close the debate i wan't my say bcause I love debating sci-fi and i want to throw my therory in there (and the willow theries r too intimidating Embarassed )

I support the majority of posts in that the planets created her that way becuse it was the normal.

Even if she did lay eggs, like a reptile, there is no reason to belive the bayby is born ready to fend for it's self or eat solid food. All sentient beings would natrally have long-ish childhoods becuse that's when they learn the most and they have to be smart to survive. So it's reasonable to assume that the mother's of sentient beings would care for there young for a long time before they can feed themselfs as they are preoccupied learing to talk, walk, and in this case fly too...
TDTC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koneko-Ealain wrote:
On the thought of Tengu's face and reproduction: Maybe they reproduce like Kiff Kroker did in Futurama. Mr. Green

... BWAHAHA! Sorry, I can't get it out of my head!

Tengu: *being blown away by wind* HELP!

Gwen: I'LL SAVE YOU! *extremely amazing leap and catches*

...And THAT'S how those two fell in love. >__>

Ahem. Anyway, hm... maybe she was upset because the other girls (and the genderless one) had them and she wanted them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Plot, Character, and Current Page Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: