FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Dreams
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Dreams Reply with quote

I really liked the "Dreams" thread in the old forum, where you could post accounts of dreams you'd had. So here we go.

------------------------------------------------------

Dreamed that I had been having a romance with a young woman. This part is really fuzzy. All I remember about it is that we embraced one another during a class on bibliographic cataloging being held in the main library on campus. Then class split up and we left the building. I remember a scene in which I read aloud from a really creepy book about cataloging and torture.

Then we (the whole class) boarded a wooden sailing ship which was parked outside and proceeded to sail the waters surrounding the campus. My romantic interest made a foolish decision to climb over the edge of the railing and stand on the bowsprit. For a while she was fine, but then she fell off into the water below. I called at her to climb aboard again, but she wanted to swim. I told her there were crocodiles in the water, that I could see them coming for her, but she didn't believe me and kept swimming. One of them nipped at her, and then she believed, but she kept swimming, thinking she could outswim the crocodiles. I dove overboard to see if I could pull her out, but I got to her just in time to see her swallowed by a giant crocodile. I pulled myself out of the red water onto a nearby island and swore revenge.

Then there was a shift of scene. I was back home, in a village; my parents and I were sitting on the porch of our house, because I was courting. In this culture courtship went like this - eligible young men would sit on their porches with their parents, and any girls who were interested would show up with THEIR parents in tow. If the girl took the boy inside for a private discussion, that was a good sign, and their parents would stay outside and start negotiating possible marriage terms.

But with me it wasn't quite like that. There was an odd thing about the dream at this point, which was that it was in two levels. There was the surface level, in which you could see what appeared to be happening, and there were the actual events, which ccurred in my head. Anyway, a young woman approached, but she didn't have her parents with her, and no one had ever seen her before. She was very pale, and spoke in a distant manner as if she wasn't really there, and her fingers were long. That was the level of what could be seen. What was going on inside my head was that I was crawling through a ventilation duct of some kind, armed with a kitchen knife, trying to recover a piece of magical equipment which would help me avenge my dead love-interest.

The girl invited me into the house for a private discussion, and my parents didn't quite know what to do with no one to talk to in the meantime. I went with her. But inside my head, I met a couple of nasty jumping things with fangs and killed them inside that ventilation duct, and then made my way out into a room with an oozing floor made of mud or slime of some sort. A great beast hove out of the slime and I stabbed it with my knife, but it didn't mind. "I will serve you," it said. "Gain the allegiance of my nine brethren and when we ten all serve, you shall have whatever you wish." "The power to avenge my dead love?" I asked it. "If that is what you wish," it said, and then it turned into a rusty helmet which I put on.

Then, back on the level of visible events, I emerged from the house. The girl never came out, but I had a rusty helmet on.

The dream fragmented at this point. I expect that what would have happened would be that a series of girls would come to see me, go in for a private discussion and vanish, leaving me to emerge with a new piece of armor or weaponry for each one. After the tenth, I would have all the armor and weapons, and don them, make my wish, and destroy the crocodiles. Or something. But part way through the second visitor I woke up.

I suppose this is what comes of falling asleep while reading a book titled "Two Kinds of Power, an Essay on Bibliographic Control". It was cool, in a creepy kind of way.
Tomato

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked this thread also. One of my recent recurring dreams has been really rather peculiar.

Essentially, it goes like this: I fall asleep, and immediately wake up in what can only be described as a stereotypical train station. I am sitting, leaning up against the wall. I realize that I've been asleep for quite some time, perhaps years... and feel like I've been abandoned there. Left, by my previous family, friends, and everything because I slept for so long. I get up, and start looking for something to do. Then a train comes, so I get on. Getting on is where the part is always creepily lucid. I get on, and I see exactly three people on the train. A hobo, a frankenstein, and Einstein.

Then realizing this, I wake up. :O
horsin'around

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow guys...slightly, ever so slightly creepy. Shocked

But that's what most dreams are, right?

This thread reminds me oddly about a dream my friend Karli had when we in, like, seventh grade.

Okay, so Karli was inviting the entire football team over to a sleepover. For some odd reason, myself and Jaime arrived early and began helping her set out blankets and stuff. We went to the laundry closet to get some more blankets and rugs, and quite abruptly, the entire room was filled with viscous green ghosts. Not a few, not a hundred, like, thousands.

Jaime promptly walks into the thick of it and begins introducing herself and shaking hands with all the ghosts, whilst Karli and I totally freak out.

Then, the rest of the team shows up waving hockey sticks, screeching, "We'll take care of them!" (Karli was reciting the dream to everyone at this time, and we were all going up in hysterics.

The team started laying into the ghosts with the hockey sticks. At this point, Karli's account get's rather fuzzy. Apparently, Shallan got her eye poked out, Carmen turned into a...lion? Katherine, Brianna, and Quinn start swinging around with their sticks. And me? I died.

Luckily for me, the newly-made necromancer, Jaime, brought me back to life. Then, (thank God) Karlie woke up.

Ha ha...this was really funny at the time...I'm surprised I still remember it.

------

I just realised I had a really weird dream last night, but I don't wanna tell it. Wink

If you fight for your limitations, you get to keep them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ponce
Tamir

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, what's more important than the contents of the dream is the feeling(/s) that accompanies it. I've tried passing that feeling on to people before, and I've always failed miserably. Without that, my dreams are empty and boring....stories with no significance or interest.
horsin'around

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M'kay...Karli's was hysterical.

If you fight for your limitations, you get to keep them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ponce
Asenath83

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually my dreams tend to make no sense at all and I can be lucky if I can remember anything.

However, I find myself quite often at train stations or airports (or on a train or on board of an airplane) and find myself making plans for the journey.

And even though I hardly ever watch movies about natural disasters, twisters are also quite regular nightly visitors. Scary stuff.

Now that I have been playing D&D for a while though, curiously, the continuous dreams I could easily remeber when I was younger are slowly starting to return. I used to write the best or funniest ones down, wish I still had that diary.

In one of the games, for example, we are currently in a deserted Dwarven city situated on top of a mountain, but half of the city was destroyed ages ago when a part of the mountain broke off.
A few days later I had a rather vivid dream about a city very much like the one our DM described to us, and even noticed the similarities while I was still dreaming.

However, the combination of a D&D session, two glasses of Black Bush and checking the various webcomics I have bookmarked for updates were probably too much for me last weekend. I woke up laughing, wonder what my poor housemate thought. For now let's say I managed a seamless integration of the madness I call my life, the events of a new game and Earthsong. More tomorrow, but now I need some sleep. 10 PM here and I have to get up at 5. Augh!

Keeper of Zaebos' glasses.
Cypher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rarely remember my dreams. The last one I actually remember having was quite vague. All I know is it involved me, the X-Files people, and a whole lot of zombies.

Go figure.

Officially dubbed Pez by AsA
Cypher = code = problem = puzzle = Puzz = Pez

Keeper of Skogul's berserk rage, and the Endless Void.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had two weeks of Holocaust related dreams, ranging from being deported to the Krakow ghetto with my mother to being shot by Nazis in a transport to learning about the Holocaust in class.

I can describe all of them, if you like, you have only to ask.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Allicat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a dream a while ago, which I viewed as if watching a film.

A woman in America is preparing a house for viewing (I think she is in real estate). She is making the final checks on the house when it starts shifting, the walls changing and doorways sealing behind her. She continues through the house, trying to find a way out when she enters a final room which is bare. A man in police uniform is stood in the center of the room. She tries to attract his attention and he turns around. His skin is deathly pale, and all the veins are picked out in blue. His eyes are purest black, like holes into nothingness. The angle changes and panns across behind the woman's lower legs. We see the man fall, his eyes now white, and it cuts to the woman's eyes, now black as the vacuum of space.

There was a bit after that but I don't remember it so well, I think it had to do with what her family did when they found out what had happened. It didn't really scare me because all I could think was "This is a really good film! Nice CGI!"

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Fenomena

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dream often, but it never makes much sense. There's one dream that I dream about once every month and a bunch of figures which appear frequently, the strangest one being a young man wearing a top hat - not because of his looks, but because he claims that he's my subconscious.
And once I had to explain the proper usage of salt and pepper shakers to him o_O

Keeper of K'Thonya's feet <3

*If I recall that right. Which is highly questionable.
Spindrifter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my wonderfully REM-deprived state, my most amusing dreams happen when I drift off in class. A particularly amusing one was simply that I became convinced that my chem prof, who likes to walk back and forth along the blackboard, was in fact walking back and forth across it- at right angles to gravity. The sound of the chalk had become the scrape of her shoes on the board. And the whole time, I could hear her talking about MRI and Mass Spectroscopy. Highly amusing.

I also get some weird dreams falling asleep in English, because it usually involves whatever book we're discussing...

Trickier though it is, dactylic hex of the epic-ish style:
"Alt" he is called and his reign is the fierce and the making of pretties.
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually breifly remember a vague set of details about mine for a very limited period. They're usually freakin weird.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, my classtime dreams are variations of whatever's really happening - like I'll be watching someone's feet pass in front of my desk through droopy eyes, then I'll open my eyes and realize there's no one there - I was dreaming.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rarely remember my dreams anymore. . .
Ruby Falls

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a dream about Annie. That darn play is running my life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: