FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

The Serial Collaboration Project
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

JackAce

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: The Serial Collaboration Project Reply with quote

This Idea sprung from a discussion in the WG#5 thread:

Let's start writing a bunch of stories which all take place in the same setting of our own devising.

First, we need to agree on a genre for our setting. (Done)

Then, someone starts by writing a short story that establishes some basic facts about our world.

Next, someone else writes another story, which adds some more information to our background.

And so on...

The various stories don't need to relate to each other, but they must be noticably set in the same world.

Tamir suggested to set up a series of deadlines to keep the project moving, and I gotta agree with him. Tam's suggestion was to assemble a list of interested writers and give everyone a deadline of two weeks. The countdown for each new episode starts when the previous one has been posted.

By now, we have decided that our setting will be Post Apocalyptic.

Tamir has assembled a list of all interested writers and put it through his top secret randomization process, with the following results:

1) Maeniel
2) Lope
3) Alli
4) Rolaoi
5) Thebes
6) Pants
7) Tenshi
8) Tamir
9) Ravenna

If we keep to Tam's suggestion of a two-week-deadline, then Mane's story is due on October 19.

Mane, when you've got your story ready, please post it as a new thread, so we can keep all the stories together without any clutter in between.

Established Facts

Human Civilization as we know it has gone the way of the Dodo. Except unlike the Dodo, the Humans knew it was coming before it did...

The water from the oceans rose very slowly--it's taken a couple years to get the actual sea level up, but the amount of rain that came down (and is still coming down) is what did most people in. Flash floods is what did Carson City in, as well as many other cities at high elevations. Carson City is actually situated in a valley despite being so high up--it's little more than a lake now. The actual sea level is probably a little lower, but there are lots of places in the mountains that retain the water. As far as what's not covered in water... Anything on this map that isn't red or bright orange is underwater.

The rain began coming three years ago, but some areas weren't affected until later. More northern cities that had better drainage systems lasted a little longer than the cities in the Mojave desert that weren't used to this kind of deluge. They've been sitting on this mountain for a little less than a year and haven't settled until recently because of random things (roads becoming rivers, mudslides, etc). The few years ago refer to the time everything actually started rather than when they had to evacuate.

Last edited by JackAce on Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to participate until I heard the word "Furry". ::shudders violently::

If we don't do furries, count me in. Any genre (excluding Furries) is fair game to me.

As for my idea? Fantasy Sci-fi. Babylon 5's "Crusade" with the Technomage, anyone?

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
JackAce

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenshi wrote:
I wanted to participate until I heard the word "Furry". ::shudders violently::

1st: It's a suggestion. In the end, the majority of votes will decide which world we'll be writing for.

2nd: Please note that "Furry" does not necessarily have to mean "Cutesey"
For an example of a completely non-cute furry setting, take a look at this.

Please click on my Eggs and Hatchlings.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Lope: Sorry, I had meant it with a bit of a sarcastic tone, not as an attack. There are several "Furry" stories which are well done, intelligent, and overall even more enjoyable for the realm of expression animal faces can convey. Human expressions are bland by comparison, though maybe because they're so commonplace and normal to me, eh?

No, the only furries I have issues with are the ones who chase people around with all the hormonal rage of a 14 year old. I poke humor at the whole genre for the few extreme examples, which maybe I shouldn't. By and large, I have little respect for people who use ANY idea as an excuse to act out hormonal...issues. Furries who treat their hobby with enthusiasm, integrity, and (above all) intelligence? Yeah, they're awesome people.

That said, I wouldn't mind playing Furries in an intelligent way. I stopped playing Furcadia, for instance, because there were no RPGs that remained PG-13 that I could find. Instead of role playing, they just...meh, nevermind...

Furry Steampunk Fantasy. Magic and steampunk. Actually, I think magic and steampunk make a terrific mixture, m'self. Any other ideas?

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Maeniel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be totally in on this. Would our stories be segments of the same characters, or would our entries be entirely episodic? I'd personally think it would be really cool if we wrote a story from each of our own characters' perspectives (using the third person, of course, to prevent confusion) and have them interact. Not in the way of an RPG, but more along the lines each person writing a chapter in a novel with changing perspective.

What say y'all?
JackAce

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not too thrilled about the third person idea.

As I wrote before, the stories do not need to be related to each other in any way, except for hapopening in the same world. But of course they can.

For the beginning, it's probably best if every participant has his own character(s) and plot lines. Over time, these characters can meet each other and interact, characters could be "borrowed" from other writers, etc...

Rolaoi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently was reading up on transhumanism, and I'd like to throw that in the suggestion bag. As it deals with improving the human body, you might even be able to include the idea of a sect of people that branched off into parahumanism.
Fame~Citzen Cope

Nom d'amour~ Rolex
JackAce

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenshi wrote:
No, the only furries I have issues with are the ones who chase people around with all the hormonal rage of a 14 year old.

You mean something like this? Razz

theBSDude

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolaoi wrote:
I recently was reading up on transhumanism, and I'd like to throw that in the suggestion bag. As it deals with improving the human body, you might even be able to include the idea of a sect of people that branched off into parahumanism.

That's what my stories have been about, but I didn't have the word 'til now. Anyway, I'd be glad to join, but I'm hesitant to make any suggestions; I have a half-dozen worlds already created in my head, so I'd be kind of biased toward one of them.

TheBSDude, dubbed 'BS' by Asa and nicknamed 'Thebes.'
Keeper of the Tristam, The Amazing Non-Emo Vampire!(tm) and a Massive List of Webcomics.

"I'm like a ninja with no hopes or dreams." --Wally of Dilbert
JackAce

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theBSDude wrote:
I'd be glad to join, but I'm hesitant to make any suggestions; I have a half-dozen worlds already created in my head, so I'd be kind of biased toward one of them.

So have I.

I basically just picked one of them, more or less at random.

One important thing about this project is that we don't need a pre-designed setting for it. We just need a basic genre concept. The world itself is meant to develope in the course of the project.

Rolaoi wrote:
I recently was reading up on transhumanism, and I'd like to throw that in the suggestion bag.

That might make an interesting plotline within a number of potential settings, but I don't think it's really a definition of a setting in itself. I mean, you could represent the concept of transhumanism in a High Sci-Fi setting (through Genetics, Bionics and/or Psionics) or in a Steampunk Setting (through Frankensteinian, Jeckyllian and/or Moreauean experiments) or even in a High Fantasy setting (Through magical/divine power sources and possible ascension to godhood)

Allicat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to have a go. I've never written steampunk before so I reckon that would be fun. If you want another suggestion we could try post-apocalyptic.

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could always do a genre Mashup.

Steampunk technology with magical power sources in a post-apocalyptic setting, caused by the tinkering of "Sci-fi" geneticists who were trying to achieve immortality but instead unleashed some mutagen that turned everyone into furries?

I'm sure I've just violated some law of the internet that I didn't know existed by putting all those together...

Red Skelton
JackAce

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fear that a mashup would end up being too vague.

If there's a little bit of everything in the setting, every writer can just pick a few aspects that he especially likes, and in the end there is no discernable connection between the stories at all.

Tamir

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mane - I like your idea, and that's on my list of things I'd like to do someday. Smile But not in this project, I think. Here we just want to develop a world (possibly even a very long-term plot if it happens to work out that way) through short stories with different characters. I suppose a character from one story could show up in another, but it shouldn't be the focus of the other.

As for setting, I've been having trouble deciding. Here's a list, anyhow: Fantasy, scifi, steampunk, post-apocalyptic.

Things like "furry" and "transhumanism" aren't really part of the setting, I think, but rather can be inserted into any setting. Settings can easily be merged, but I think I'd prefer a single, raw setting, for reasons given by Lope.

We could, of course, give a slightly more detailed setting like "creature-based fantasy", "robot scifi" or "zombie post-apocalyptic", but that could also be decided by the first writer.

EDIT: Actually, I think transhumanism counts as a setting of its own if it takes place in the ordinary world. =o
JackAce

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamir wrote:
Things like "furry" and "transhumanism" aren't really part of the setting, I think, but rather can be inserted into any setting.

I don't know, ...

If we were (for example) to agree on writing a Steampunk setting, and then the first writer decides to make all characters in the setting Anthros, ... I guess that would pretty much break the "agree on a genre" part.

Tamir wrote:
We could, of course, give a slightly more detailed setting like "creature-based fantasy", "robot scifi" or "zombie post-apocalyptic", but that could also be decided by the first writer.

That's the kind of suggestions I was hoping for... Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Written Word All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: