FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

The Google browser is out!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's one of those things that will likely remain untried - I'd be surprised to see google use it TBH.

But it's odd to have it in there. And it's another nail in Chrome's coffin.
Tamir

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't call it dead yet....give it a chance to be born....
Tenshi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole "automatically allow executable files" bit really does it in, IMO. I know it's in Beta, but c'mon. Isn't that one of the primary staples of web browser security? Mad

Looking forward to seeing what Google does with Chrome, though the most concerning aspect of it's future is Article 11 of the EULA..

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Squeeself

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chrome security bug is actually a bug in WebKit, which is NOT made by Google. Safari suffered from the same bug because Safari also uses Webkit. Chrome isn't using the newer version of webkit yet that fixes the problem yet, which isn't surprising for a new beta product. Squee is sure they'll get that fixed soon.

As for the EULA, Google has already came out and said it was a mistake. They used a license from other parts of their services where it makes sense (and honestly, if you read more EULAs, especially MS ones, you'll see even MORE worrisome language...but it's less because the company does this stuff and more to protect against lawsuits). Google has already come out and said it's going to fix the EULA very soon.

Also note that due to Chrome being released under a BSD license, the EULA as it was made absolute zero since. If you wanted to use Chrome without using the EULA, you could just grab the software off of Google Code and no EULA agreement is necessary.

Your reaction about getting it banned from work computers is a BIT over the top, if you'd been following the actual news on Chrome since it was released...They issued a statement about this well before you posted. There are FAR more problematic pieces of software to ban than beta products Razz

Tyris wrote:
That sounds... odd. Where's the trust in the first place? And what's actually wrong with it?

Antitrust litigation does NOT refer to trust as in trusting an entity to do or not do something. It refers to competition law. Antitrust is monopoly-like behavior; MS was slapped with antitrust laws a number of years ago for un-competitive behavior. For more info, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antitrust
Nem

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, I haven't been following it for any length of time. Besides which the question was more about how they'd gather the information than the legality of it, at least as far as using it on work computers goes.
- Issa
Squeeself

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point is that they don't even gather it in the first place. Razz
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried it, and it's neat, but I'm sticking with Firefox, for several of reasons.

1) Flashblock. It replaces any Flash movies you come across with a "play" button. If it's a movie you actually WANT to see, you can click "play". If not, it doesn't bother you. It also downloads the movies in the background, so the ones that are ads (most of them) still get counted as "viewed".

2) Firefox lets me use "about:config" to tweak its behavior in a bazillion different ways. My favorite is setting image.animation_mode to "none", so that animated GIF files stop animating. They still get downloaded and displayed, but only the first frame is shown. Between that and Flashblock, nothing on my screen moves. No flashing, no blinking, and I haven't cut into anyone's ad revenue. Occasionally I'll run across a site which slides an ad or a survey or something across the screen using JavaScript. That's still fairly rare, though, and they usually use a Flash movie, which gets turned into a "play" button so I can ignore it. Ahhhh.

3) Firebug and Web Developer's Toolbar, which between them have become an absolutely crucial part of my toolbox for developing web sites. A lot of their functionality is available in other browsers now, but the others are still playing catch-up. And there are some more obscure development tools I like that just aren't available for other browsers, such as Screengrab (screenshots of a whole page, including off-screen parts!), Zotero (automatic bibliography maker!), and YSlow (tells me how fast my page loads and gives suggestions for improvement).
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can one still make .gif images animate with the second function if one desires?

Also, I believe that AdBlock and AdBlock Plus also still download the content that they block from appearing, so again, it still counts as viewed and doesn't cut into revenue streams.
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making the GIF images animate at will, you mean? Like the play button for Flash movies? Alas, no -- they're either all on, or all off.

Of course, the Web Developer Toolbar makes it easy to turn them on or off (with Web Developer installed, click Images -> Disable Images -> Image Animations to toggle the behavior). So that's fairly easy, on the rare occasions when it's important.
Tyris

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thespaceinvader wrote:
Also, I believe that AdBlock and AdBlock Plus also still download the content that they block from appearing, so again, it still counts as viewed and doesn't cut into revenue streams.
So our recent attempt to reduce bandwidth usage by adblocking anything with a .jpg, .gif, .png or .bmp extension is actually completely useless?

Well, curses.

Can anyone recommend a way to make pages text-only and actually not download the images?

"It's a sad thing when a man loses his cookie." - Nem
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynx_(web_browser)

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9837331-7.html
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err, why not just turn off images?

Open your Firefox options (Tools -> Options on Windows, Edit -> Preferences on Mac or Linux), click the Content tab, and uncheck the box labeled "Download images automatically."

That will make your browser simply ignore any instructions to download images. You can set exception, if you like, using the Exceptions button opposite the checkbox. That's important, particularly for sites using images as links, without specifying alt text, for them (*coughearthsongsaga.comcough*), as you won't be able to navigate on those sites.
electricpanda

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, on a Mac it's apple+comma, or Firefox -> Preferences.
daydreamer_girl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I thought those comics looked like Scott Mcloud's comics!

It is, isn't it?

dubbed "Emma" by Asa
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Scott McCloud drew those.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: