FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

New Computer query...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I was doing the complete trouble shooting routine, tear down the entire rig and then bring it back together again piece by piece. I had it torn all the way down to it's MoBo, CPU, and RAM...still wouldn't POST (Pre-OS Test, if I recall correctly).

Anyhow, I took the rig (now a shell of her former self) into the other room, and hooked it up to the monitor and power cord of another, working PC. Just in case it was the monitor, you know? It's an old monitor...

It passed POST immediately, first try. I was baffled! So, I started loading parts back into it, piece by piece, and it passed POST all the way to booting Windows (admittedly a bit slow, from recovering from the previous kernell fault). I was kind of confused now...

So I go back into my room, hook it all back up, won't pass POST. Remove the power cord, replacing it with a different one... Passes POST on the first try. Oh. My. Lord.

On the plus side, I spend $0 fixing my PC. On the downside, I feel a right fool now...though I've never had (or even heard of) a power cord failing!

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Squeeself

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, cords are the first thing Squee checks. They're far more prone to failure than most people realize, even if it's just a lose connection that needs some joggling. Smile Squee has been having some network trouble and first thing Squee did was try different cables...sadly, looks like Squee's router is dying, oddly enough.
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mind if I hijack this thread for a technical support question?

I disabled the automatic updates on my laptop, but the last two times when I turned it on it started to install updates anyway. And these updates are a pain, they take 45 minutes to install, then it goes into repair mode, then when I finally get on it tells me that my anti-virus software isn't working.

Is there anyway to stop these updates installing themselves or am I resigned to never turning my laptop off?
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having similar struggles. My laptop died a death when I went down to Cardiff house hunting (wouldn't switch on at all most of the times I tried, once or twice got through to the windows loading bar and crashed out). I got it working briefly when I got it home, enough time to take a backup of what I'd done since my holiday, then took it to the shop. It's had its RAM replaced twice now (got it home after the first time, had similar trouble switching it on, and when I finally succeeded, it crashed the moment I did something resource-intensive), and I've just got it home from the shop, where it was working perfectly, albeit with some drivers which seem to need updating, with instructions to install SP3 (i can't remember now why I didn't - I think I heard rumours of incompatibility with my graphics tablet) then do a repair install if that didn't work, and a complete windows reinstall if THAT didn't work.

So I gets it home and turns it on. And it doesn't turn on. I do any number of combinations of starting it up with the battery out, power supply out, power supply attached to different plug board (both of the boards I used are surge protected) and when I finally get it to turn on it hangs in the (what I now understand to be) POST phase. So i switch it off-and-on-again, and after POST, it says something about RAM not being seated correctly. I forget (>.<) to photograph the error screen then restart. Windows boots, makes its switching-on noise... Then crashes to a blank white screen.

Anybody got any ideas?
Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Spacey: Does your laptop beep when it boots? More importantly, does it beep when it fails to boot?

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took it back to the shop, turns out that this is a problem with this particular line of dell laptops - one of the DIMM sockets for the RAM tends to overheat and not work properly. I'm still under warranty, so the motherboard's getting replaced, and I should have it back by tuesday.

And no, it doesn't beep in either case.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, well that was my suspicion, a motherboard problem. Glad you got it fixed.

FYI: When a PC (usually only desktops) go through POST (Pre-Operating System Test), they beep in code to explain how it went. One quick chirp, as you'll hear almost always when it starts, means all is well.

Different brands of motherboard use different codes, though.

Red Skelton
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: