FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Writer's Group V: Journals
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

JackAce

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Writer's Group V: Journals Reply with quote

Hi Folks!

It's time for a new Writer's Group, and this time the challenge will be set by me...

Twisted Evil Mwaharharrr...

Erm... sorry 'bout that... Embarassed

Anyways, the topic for this Writer's Group will be stylistic.

Yep, I'm not gonna tell you what to write about, but how to write it...

I'm planning to have this WG running for four weeks starting Monday, so the due date would be September 21nd.

There are, as always, five slots, which are now filled with the following contestants:

1) Nem
2) Thebes
3) Rolaoi
4) Tenshi
5) Tamir

Please click on my Eggs and Hatchlings.

Last edited by JackAce on Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:14 am; edited 2 times in total
Nem

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Nem
2)
3)
4)
5)
- Issa
theBSDude

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Nem
2) Thebes
3)
4)
5)

TheBSDude, dubbed 'BS' by Asa and nicknamed 'Thebes.'
Keeper of the Tristam, The Amazing Non-Emo Vampire!(tm) and a Massive List of Webcomics.

"I'm like a ninja with no hopes or dreams." --Wally of Dilbert
Rolaoi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Nem
2) Thebes
3) Rolaoi
4)
5)
Fame~Citzen Cope

Nom d'amour~ Rolex
Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to participate!

1) Nem
2) Thebes
3) Rolaoi
4) Tenshi
5)

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
JackAce

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? No one interested in the last vacant spot?

I will close the Registration and reveal the topic of this WG tomorrow around noon CET. That would be around 6am ET.

Tamir

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I'm slightly afraid of style challenges, and also by your evil first post.

That said, since nobody else is taking the spot, I might as well. ^_^

1) Nem
2) Thebes
3) Rolaoi
4) Tenshi
5) Tamir

If someone else wants the spot before Lope closes registration, you can have it. =o
JackAce

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, it's noon on this side of the globe. Registration is now CLOSED! (So, Tam, it looks like you're in!)

The topic for this WG is Journals.

Create a body of text that records a series of events as they supposedly happened, without ptting them into any traditional narrative format.

This could be a personal diary, a traveller's journal, a ship's log, or even something more technical, like a scientist's reseach notes or the protoco of an investigation or law suit.

Of course, it would help if the actual events recorded in your journal were telling a somewhat interesting story. Razz

Have Fun!

Rolaoi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on it.
Fame~Citzen Cope

Nom d'amour~ Rolex
Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've never read my journals, I try to make them entertaining. XD

I'll get to work on this shortly, though.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
theBSDude

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha! I've been listening to a book-on-CD of Dracula, so I've been thinking in terms of journals all week.

Once again, the world aligns itself to my will!

TheBSDude, dubbed 'BS' by Asa and nicknamed 'Thebes.'
Keeper of the Tristam, The Amazing Non-Emo Vampire!(tm) and a Massive List of Webcomics.

"I'm like a ninja with no hopes or dreams." --Wally of Dilbert
Tamir

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forsee that this WG will have very interesting entries.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm going to take Tam's suggestion in the dream thread, and do a journal entry on one of my dreams. First person narrative, that's a proper journal entry, right?

Red Skelton
Nem

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a strange desire to write something that doesn't somehow end in death and destruction this time round... well that's 90% of my ideas gone ^_^;
- Issa
Tenshi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M'entry. Hope I did this right.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Third Season, Day 41, Year 715
Morning

The day begun with it's normal flair today, brilliant orange and yellow cast across a cerulean blanket. It looks almost as if Julios, our recorder, had cast his paint across the sky from the far eastern mountains. As we move east across these forsaken lands, the sun rises every morning with such beautiful displays.

As we have lost our guide in the ruins yesterday, we dare not leave the roads again. This presents a bit of a problem when the roads have disintegrated, but we make do. Crossing the Ohio was quite a challenge, given that we were trying not to leave the roadways! The bridge had collapsed, which we were lucky to see before we tried to cross it.

Our horses managed to ford the river in the twilight, though we did lose one. We were lucky it only carried some food and basic supplies! Though my companions may not agree, losing the tools necessary to record our journey would have been a total loss. We are the first to explore this far from home for the history of our city, if we were to fail...

Well, Julios has stirred from his tent to do a quick sketch of the sunrise. I believe since the loss of his wife, he does this to believe that each day has truly begun. Her loss was an unexpected tragedy, and though we must mourn her we must also remember that her sacrifice was not in vain. We must learn from her mistake, and be wary of bridges that have cracks in them. At least from her death, we can take some knowledge.

Must get moving, the days are growing shorter and we have far to go.

Third Season, Day 45, Year 715
Night

The past few days have gone by brilliantly. First stumbling upon a hidden cache of supplies from some local barbaric peoples, then finding another road sign that has pointed us toward our destination? Truly, a stroke of perfect luck. Though now we are faced with yet another river, this one as of yet un-named as far as I can tell.

Our "leader", as she deems herself, seems to think this is the Ohio river again. As if we could have circled back, when we were guided by the sun's shadow this whole time! She may have been bedded by our guide up until his unfortunate demise, but a tracker does not that make. We shall see if she is as confident once we follow this body of water until it reveals it's name to us. One of the great remains from the civilization before is their incredible desire to label everything innumerable times.

At least this is working to our benefit, at the moment.. I am exhausted now, so I will continue this at a later time.

Third Season, Day 60, Year 715
Mid-day

While we pause to let the horses drink from a clear stream, I take a few moments to reflect on the past two weeks. A woodsman, by the name of Nathan, was lost to us these past days. He died as any man of his family would have seen fit for him, defending the rest of us. It still...pains me, to know that had I not disturbed the rock formation I would not have awakened the mountain cats.

How was I to know, I suppose? Everything in these ruins demands exploration and understanding! How can we not be doomed to suffer the same fate, simply vanishing without a trace? We must know how to remain safe from such fates ourselves, or else we will leave behind even less than these odd stone towers and roads.

Though the towers are, perhaps, not made of any sort of stone I have seen. It is almost like steel (like Nathan's firearm...curse my curiosity!). Instead of steel though, this metal seems to come in a multitude of forms. Some of this metal, like that which makes up the towers, seems impervious to any damage whatsoever. We can do little more than scratch it! Still other metal, like that which makes up the half-man tall bars along some of the smaller roads on each side of the larger roads, it can be bent easily with enough force.

It seems our beasts of burden are ready to leave, so I will continue this at a later date.

Third Season, Day 63, Year 715
Night

The path has grown more treacherous as we leave the last ruins. Re-armed with some of the weapons we found abandoned within the city walls, we have progressed further along this river. Oh, yes, have I mentioned it? The river did indeed turn out to be the Ohio again. That could be good or bad, as we are still following the river more or less in a northern path. To the north it will grow colder, but to the north lies our quest.

The legends of a city where a giant woman, made of metal, stands guard at the gates. And the gates are upon the water, no less! The woman's arms are said to open for all the wary, and her words like a mother's whisper to a child's ear at night. "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Aside from wishing to find such a comforting figure, there remains a strong drive to reach these gates. Within, so legends says, lay the "heart of the nation". Obviously an artifact of great importance, for it to be kept in such a marvelous place as that..

Fourth Season, Day 1, Year 715
Evening

As the passing of the seasons is marked by the steady march of days, I take time again to write. We have set up camp early, now far from the Ohio and following the roads instead. Occasionally we will find a sign declaring "New York City" and then a certain number. Our guide once explained that these were miles, though unfortunately we have no way of measuring them now. Even so, 117. It seems almost a hopeful number.

We left the large road "76" a few days ago. It has never ceased to amuse me, the way the fallen civilization named their roadways. Even more amusing is that they named them with numbers. Often I wonder, which of us was more intelligent? Excluding the massive structures they left behind, that obviously survived whatever cataclysm the constructors did not.

Our supplies dwindled dangerously low the past few days, but our remaining hunter (Richard) has downed a large horse-like animal. It's fur is rough, but appears sleek from a distance. The body is not unlike a horse, though perhaps only half the size. Instead of relying upon muscles, it seems to be a very nimble and agile beast. It's muzzle is more reminiscent of a dog than a horse to be honest. The only other identifying mark is a bright white patch of fur under it's tail, which it flicked upward upon seeing us.

The hunter was most amazed by it's forehead, from which several branching bones seem to have extended into sharp points. Twelve points in all, it is obviously this creature's natural defense against predators. I know I, for one, would not want to be in the way of a charge from those points.

A snow has just begun to fall, demanding we draw the animals together. Next, I suppose, they will think it is a sound idea to sleep in the same tents! There is no room for decency, I suppose...

Fourth Season, Day 10, Year 715
Morning

Another morning, and another day of marching through this unending snow. We have made woefully little progress along this road, slowed nearly to a stall by the snow. Where ten days ago, we were "117" of these "miles" from New York City, now we are "92 miles" away. It seems I am the only one who feels this is such a slow pace, as the rest of the group seems to be in high spirits.

Maybe it is because our goal is now within one hundred of these "miles", and that it has taken us roughly a day to move three "miles" recently. Given our pace, by the First Season we should be well on our way to establishing ourselves in this paradise. I can almost feel the warmth of their hearths...

Fourth Season, Day 15, Year 715
Night

The snowfall has ended, and the sun has returned to help begin clearing it away. It remains cold enough to wear most of our winter gear, though it feels too hot when directly in the sunlight now. I almost wish for the clouds to return, blanketing the sky with an unending gray. In a way it was amazing, to see so much snow in so little time! To be unable to tell the ground from the horizon from the sky, truly a wonder of nature.

Progress has hastened again, and in five days we have moved quite a ways. While we have not seen another sign for "New York City", we have seen several signs for closer destinations that have come and gone. According to these signs, we have moved between twenty and thirty "miles" in only five days. And at this pace, we may make it to the golden door even before the end of Fourth Season.

Fourth Season, Day 21, Year 715

Today was not a good day. Our other hunter fell ill, and despite the best efforts of our leader he has slipped into a fitful slumber. Now he rides atop one of the strongest horses, supported by a frame devised by Julios. Yes, Julios, the painter! It would seem that he is quite handy with wooden rigging, which only makes sense given his experience with the canvas.

Yes, and our leader... she is not doing well. I should record her name, it's permanence may give her the strength to continue. Riviera, as her grandmother was named before her. After treating and securing Richard, she seems to have grown quiet and reserved. I believe she has seen this sort of illness before, and given that her father passed mysteriously I am filled with a great deal of concern. In many ways, I want to reach out to her.

But now is not the time. She does not need me to further complicate her father's quest for her, and I would not know where to begin anyhow. Now that our group is only four, we should focus on keeping everyone alive and not trying to find emotional attachments that can cause poor judgment.

More later.

Fourth Season, Day 3x

I have no idea what day it is. Fever has set in. I am told it is two weeks from my last entry, but I am unsure. Exhaustion... I will write again later, I swear it. This illness may sap a man's will, but I will not succumb. I have come too far, suffered too much... to fail.

Fourth Season, Day 3x (2)

Richard was buried today. Riviera and Julios are still well, and now they watch me with worried eyes. Perhaps I was a fool, perhaps in my haste to feel more important than others, I have judged them incorrectly. Instead of treating me like the callous hag I had once thought, Riviera's touch has been that of a doting mother.

I feel like the fool, where I had once thought Julios a fool. Now they watch me, protect me, as if I were a treasured friend. Exhausted again...

More lat...

Fourth Season, Day 35, Year 715
Morning

My strength has begun to return, and I have used the distance we have traveled to calculate the day. Though this may not be accurate, it will be accurate enough to record our journey again. I still cannot walk, though I thank whatever powers that be that my life seems to have been spared for the moment. We are now so very close to the golden door! I must stay alive, if only to see our goal. Now only "25 miles".

Fourth Season, Day 39, Year 715
Morning

I tested my legs again today, as I have every day since regaining consciousness. I would prefer to walk, but Riviera and Julios agree that I would slow the group a great deal at this point. To their credit, I could not argue against it. Now we continue, with me slumped in the saddle of this horse. So close to the golden door now, we can see parts of the city on the horizon when the day is clear.

Towers reaching into the sky, almost as if to touch them. Was this the cause of their death? Did their greed for power extend too far into Heaven, and anger God? I've never been a believer before, but we have lost so much... And how did I survive the illness that took the life of someone stronger and healthier than I? Was I meant to make it this far?

Fourth Season, Day 45, Year 715
Night

How utterly disappointing. We made it to the city today, after crossing a huge bridge that spanned yet another river. Small houses were aligned in a row on this bridge, though they were only one room and seemed to have no hearths. Not suitable for the winter, definitely.

Further toward the city, we entered the streets at the furthest edge. From other cities we have learned that the smaller buildings are closest to the edge, with the towers near the center of the city. As we moved through the city a sense of awe and fear overcame me, for I had never expected to reach this place alive. Now we are here, camped in the middle of one of the places were all these roads meet.

Some of the roads have collapsed into the ground, as if the world wished to swallow this city whole. It is now my firm belief that whatever these powerful peoples were doing, they did so against the will of Heaven. I was not a believer before, but to see the city in such proximity! To believe that this entire place, so full of space and with so much room, would be stricken of it's entire population in a mere instant... it's impossible.

And further, where are the remains? It seems as if they simply...vanished. Removed by Heaven, perhaps. Perhaps...

I am tired now, I will write again once we have reached the city's center.

Fourth Season, Day 47, Year 715
Morning

We reached the end of the city, or the center of the city if you want to call it that. Massive towers as tall as mountains, some of them are even still standing... Out upon the water, on an island all by itself, stands a woman made entirely of metal. She holds a torch high above, and cradles a stone book to her bosom.

Is this the woman who guards the golden door? If so, where is the golden door? I fear we have taken this journey for nothing. We have lost so much, and are now faced with exploring and understanding such a strange city. Nothing to show for it, nobody to share our knowledge with! Julios has taken happily to recording everything with his sketches and paints. His pack horse is much more full than mine, which is taken with odd relics of the places we've been.

Only Riviera looks determined to continue, her eyes set upon the metal woman in the water. It almost looks as if her feet rest directly upon the water, though that would be impossible. Then again, I have taken for granted before that this world, made of metal we can't scratch and leather we can't eat, may be built upon the impossible.

And in truth, as I stare out upon the water, I sense there is something more there. When the water rolls just right, it almost looks as if there were something else beneath her feet...

Could this be the golden door? I imagine Riviera is pondering the same thing...

Second Season, Day 12, Year 716

I have not written for so long for our efforts are now consumed with making a city out of this place. Riviera is with child, the first to be born in "New York City" in a long time. Julios could not be happier, I imagine. The two make a good pairing, and will make many intelligent children I hope. I have labored to make copies of my journal, and Julios his sketches. As we now settle into the growing season on the outskirts of the city where the land is open and fertile, we set these copies in sealed containers into the river.

With luck, whomever finds these will know that "New York City" is in fact real, and there are many wonders here. We have found a "library" and a "hospital". We have found wonders in this city beyond anything I could have imagined. So, should these notes reach our home, please make the journey here carefully. The road ahead of you is long, and there is much suffering along the way. This will be the last entry any other living person outside of my new home will read, I suppose.

I wish you well, whomever you may be.
~Florence of Ahilinares

Red Skelton
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Written Word All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: