FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

The First Post

Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:02 am    Post subject: The First Post Reply with quote

Well, let's get the ball rolling with a list of archives for writing, like there is for art, and then people can post their stories here.

I don't know, should I wait until Mane gets around to starting it, or should I start the Writer's Group up again? My idea is to use the idea for February for the first one, since I know I have a piece for it, and I assume the other participants do as well. General opinion?

My stories:
www.fictionpress.com/~aspiringauthor
www.fanfiction.net/~aspiringauthor

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Cypher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't even a member of the group before, so I've got no real voice (I didn't even know we had a Writer's Group). But someone's got to start it all up again...

Officially dubbed Pez by AsA
Cypher = code = problem = puzzle = Puzz = Pez

Keeper of Skogul's berserk rage, and the Endless Void.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it matters who starts it. Though actually, I never did write the piece for the last one. It was one thing after another really, and it never got done.

And any writing I do will be able to be found on my DA account. Though as of yet there's nothing really there, just a boring research paper and a lot of photographs.
Cypher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got finished reading your 'Resistance is NOT Futile' story, AsA. Normally, I wouldn't bring this up, since it's off topic, but we're just killing time anyway right now. I thought it was very interesting, though I found the Regime to be a little too incompetent to be the primary antagonist of the story.

Have you ever read 1984? I'll summarize in case someone reading this hasn't. It's pretty much the same overall plot line you've got (Evil Regime Rules Country With Iron Fist), but the difference is, the government is so smart, it's scary. It's also a literary classic and required by quite a few schools, so your readers will probably have read it.

The reason I brought that up is that anyone who has read 1984 is not going to put up with blatant stupidity from the powers that be. If all you have to do to find rebels is to go where the government tells you not to, why haven't they infiltrated them with spies to find their hideouts? Why isn't Aunt Cornelia reporting her suspicions about Sasha to the Secret Police, or whatever? The practice of family members turning in 'traitors' in their own house was one of the most effective and scariest of all Regime tactics.

Another, much more minor, problem is that the girl in the first chapter seems to be a little two knowledgeable for her age. I presume they're somewhere around the age of eight or something, and a girl that age wouldn't know much about politics. If you prefaced some of her more political statements with 'My parents say' or something similar, it will be more believable. Kids that age often idolize their parents, so it wouldn't be uncommon for one to repeat what they say like that.

Still, you do pretty good work. I didnít know you were so into poetry and lyrics. Thatís pretty cool.

Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*cringes* Resistance is not a good measure of my work - I don't like it. It's based on a different plot bunny, "The Magic Flute", actually. She's so knowledgeable because she met this kid who knew what he was talking about years ago... it's unbelievable, I know. I never finished it.

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
Cypher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I noticed. Okay, questions answered then, disregard.

LordLegion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there going to be specific topics posted for us to write about or would this be a forum to post any written works? Sorry, I am new to the forums.

I used to think everyday I didn't wake up and gargle a few rounds from a revolver was a victory, but little "golden" moments like this make me wonder, "A victory for who?"
Randy K. Milholland, Something Positive, 9-12-2002
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both - you are welcome to showcase any written work you would like us to see, but eventually, there will be writers' groups which will have set topics in a similar manner to tinalles' thread.
LordLegion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I will be able to post or link to a few I have somewhere on the web when I get home.

I used to think everyday I didn't wake up and gargle a few rounds from a revolver was a victory, but little "golden" moments like this make me wonder, "A victory for who?"
Randy K. Milholland, Something Positive, 9-12-2002
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Angel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to be a part of the Writer's group. I write several long, seemingly never ending Stories ALL day long because I have nothing else to do at school. Razz That and I write random stories on the web (Mostly any random forum I'm on at the time that has a writing section) right off the bat and they come out pretty good. Smile
Asa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm restarting the Writer's Group now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Written Word All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: