FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

The YouTube Made of Awesome Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 24, 25, 26  Next

theBSDude

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infinitely sharp creases are assymptotes, and shapes have to be continous, don't they?

TheBSDude, dubbed 'BS' by Asa and nicknamed 'Thebes.'
Keeper of the Tristam, The Amazing Non-Emo Vampire!(tm) and a Massive List of Webcomics.

"I'm like a ninja with no hopes or dreams." --Wally of Dilbert
Tamir

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Continuous! That's the word I was looking for! Very Happy I'm silly....should work on learning more English terms, I've been learning all my math in Hebrew)

Anyhow, no. XD The shapes continue to be continuous if they have sharp edges, but they are no longer differentiable, right? (Which is akin to saying they have a non-continuous derivative)
Nem

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of this conversation looks like anything approaching English to me...

Or in other words: Gwuh?!
- Issa
theBSDude

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*scratches beard thoughfully*

*shrugs*

Keeper of the Tristam, The Amazing Non-Emo Vampire!(tm) and a Massive List of Webcomics.

Nem

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty given I don't understand much by way of maths:

As I understand it shapes aren't really continuos, that's just a convenient way to express them in maths, materials and the shapes they form are just a dense collection of particles held together by a bonding force. Put enough energy in and those particles fly apart from each other turning into a liquid and then gas and finaly a weirdly behaved gas. You can't really push a shape through itself as you do in the film because the particles form a dense enough latice that wherever you apply force from some particles will always fall close enough to each other to stop you. But since we're supposing that the shape can be pushed through itself, and the only way that's possible is to make it thin enough that the particles can slide past each other, theoretically speaking I should just be able to rotate the particle field so the particles on one side of the shape are out of line with the particles on the other side and push one end of the sphere through to the other along a diagonal without ever creating a true 'crease' in the material anyway.

Or to put it another way if you're going to suppose a material that can pass through itself like that then the rule against infinitely sharp creases seems kind of arbitrary because the only way to get an infinitely sharp crease would be to have a material infinitely dense, so as to form a true continyouus surface, with which to create one, and since this material can pass through itself it can't be infinitely dense.
Though it looks like you're creating such creases when shown as a smooth surface like that on the video surfaces aren't really smooth at all. The rule seems to create a problem where none exists and make the answer, which I'll admit is a neat bit of folding, more complex than it needs be. As the man in the video said if it really can pass through itself then I'll just take this part here and push it through to this part here...
- Issa
Tamir

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, first off, mathematics doesn't need to have any basis in reality. Mathematicians often study whatever they find interesting, and it only becomes useful later. Some of it becomes useful in unpredictable ways, and some has not yet become useful at all.
We're talking here about a purely mathematical construct, and it comes with its axioms and rules. That's the way math works - make some assumptions, and see where logic takes them. Maybe the assumptions taken here will never apply to the real world, but they're still interesting.

Second of all, we don't really know how particles (well, matter) look. Classical theory has little balls held together by forces, but quantum theory has them as continuous waves of probability. String theory has them as tiny vibrating strings, and I can't tell you much more than that as I know nothing about string theory. Basically, don't put too much faith in the understanding you just mentioned.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As yes, uncertainty theory... Where a particle can actually be a particle or a wave, and is neither until it is observed. The act of observing it makes it one or the other, instead of it having been one or the other at all.

Interesting stuff...

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if you could devise a mathematical measure for topic drift. This would be a prime test case. ^_^
Tenshi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could devise a mathematical formula based on statistical analysis, and present the probability for topic drift based on previous topic studies. You could even break it down into original topic subject by category (science, math, religion, day-to-day, sports, and so on). Then you could, if you so chose, statistically find who is most likely to deviate a topic.

Mathematics and statistics are fun, you can do all sorts of things like that. The irony about all that work and all those results though? They don't...really mean much. You can predict the past, but that's about it. If you're lucky, the past will indicate the future. Razz

But I digress. To get back on topic: I'm going to college to, in the end, be a science teacher. I aspire to be as cool as this guy here:
"Do Try This at Home!"

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Tamir

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love not having to look those things up. Very Happy

And that just reminded me of the brilliance which is Look Around You. If you haven't seen it, well, you're missing you.

(The above link is to the first of many)
Nem

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I put these on the old forum but I figured they were awesome enough to be seen twice over. Razz

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=74_dD-2twJ8

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/61736.html

[Sneaky edit...]

Landing at Hong Kong Kai Tak Airport:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PCOcyt7BPI

For those what don't know you had to come in almost literally five off the deck to land there. Makes you wonder how they got health and safety to let them do it. Then you remember; 1925.
- Issa
Virturealm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letsee what's relatively new on my favorites list...

Ronald McGiygas

Ronald + Japan * Earthbound cosmic horror = .... p l e a s a n t ?

Thing which I don't know the name of

An eleven minute long computer generated medley of anime and video game songs, painstakingly timed to a custom automatic Super Mario World level. Why aren't my hobbies this awesome?

Ultimate. Falcon. Match.

Captain Falcon is amazing.

Okay this will probably fall flat on non SSB fans. I show it largely because it was three of my friends that filmed it (without ME despite there being four beautiful falcons when the first matches were held), and most of the people on the big SSB forums have seen it and think it's hilarious, which is like Class H internet fame.
CBB

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those airplanes coming into Hong Kong are amazing. I'd be terrified to live anywhere near there, but I'd love to see so many jet planes so close up while in flight!

Here's a few videos off my favorites list:

Keepon (an adorable robot designed to interact with autistic children) dancing in a music video of Spoon's "Don't You Evah."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPdP1jBfxzo

An excellently done AMV with video from "What Dreams May Come" and Sigur Ros' "Glósóli."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DRFVcKNCXI

Everybody's seen Daft Hands, but you gotta see it again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2cYWfq--Nw

And a couple of interesting and artistic commercials for the Madrid Metro:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_97DelYEVc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFyGtRB97I8

Psychosomatic! That boy needs therapy...
Ya que estamos en el baile, ˇbailemos!

Keeper of Earthsong's Wispy Wooshy Memory Ball
Keeper of the Dragon Planet
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if we're reposting links that got wiped out in the forum snafu, I like these:

Rollerman, in which a guy named Jean-Yves Blondeau rolls around Paris in an outfit which can only be described as the bastard offspring of a Borg costume and a roller-skating waitress uniform.

Extreme wingsuit flying, in which insane people jump off cliffs and fly around in suits that make them look like Rocky the flying squirrel.

Sailor Satan, which suddenly makes Sailor Moon make a lot more sense.

Yeah. Those are the big ones. I don't cruise YouTube much.
theBSDude

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't mind swearing and censored f-words, check out Yu-Gi-Oh The Abridged Series on YouTube or Google it for the official website.

Also, if anybody hasn't already, watch White & Nerdy by Wierd Al.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 2 of 26

Jump to: