FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

WRITER'S GROUP 4: GODS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of good... I've got the idea I want, but it's not really coming together right. I'm going have the week immediately prior to the due date free, so I plan on working my butt of then, but right now I'm still ruminating.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea: check!
Just need to write it.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta get around to writing...

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
Tinu.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah, this is horrid. I really hate dialog.

I'll put some clarifying tidbits at the bottom.
The creatures who called the giant ash their home paused that morning to glance curiously at the tall man who had climbed the hill to arrive at the roots of the tree. The squirrel, usually so chatty, was silent, the snake that burrowed into the tree's roots was still, and the eagle looked down with marked curiosity. No one had visited the well that lay under their home before, and they all wanted to know why he was here. As he reached the base of the ash, a shadow rose to meet him and barred his passage to the stone-bordered well.
The man smiled, perhaps in relief.
"Mimír, my old friend, I was hoping you would be here still."
"Friend, why have you come so far from safety? For a simple drink?" the shadow, Mimír asked. The man paused, searching his own reasons, and the creatures in the tree watched more closely, picking out small traits and gestures, testing him for truth.
"I come to seek wisdom, as do all who visit you." The shadow shifted, further blocking the way to the well. The man could have simply gone around him, but permission had to be granted to drink safely from the well of wisdom. Mimír could not keep from being skeptical "I think knowledge for the sake of knowing is not your true purpose. Come and sit." The standoff over, the animals went back to their daily eternal routine; though they still kept an ear open to the conversation taking place at the side of the well.

"What other wisdom do you seek, friend? The wisdom to rule your brothers?" The man nodded. "But you have that already." The shadow said, puzzled.
"For the god and guard of wisdom you don't see all, Mimír."
"Of course not, the only ones who truly see are the Norns, mysterious beings that they are."
"Yes. . .the Norns. . .they puzzle us all. I have already asked them for guidance, and they have refused me; the well of Urd is forever closed to me. Please Mimír, I need to drink from the well. Not only to rule, but to protect as well; the giants are ever on the move, and life on the middle plane is fragile. My brother's being to rebel, mischief is among us, tearing us apart again - would you have another feud? Another dead?"
Mimír sat in thought for an eternal moment, before giving his answer.
"Very well, you may drink from the well, but there is a price."
"Name it."
"Since you wish to have knowledge to foresee what events will come in order to prevent them, you will trade sight for sight. The price is one of your eyes."
"Done." The animals watched as the eye was removed - a bloody process to be sure, but the man showed no sign of pain or hesitation - and was thrown into the well.
Blood dripped from the empty socket and down the dark shaft as a small bucket was drawn up on a creaking rope. Mimír handed the man a simple iron ladle, which he used to scoop out a drink. The water was oddly colored, reflecting green and yellow, the colors of the tree above it - or perhaps it gave color to the tree. It wasn't normal, this water - even the animals with their dim understanding knew this. He drank the water down, gasping as though it burned his throat. His eye opened wide enough to see a glimpse of a future that held him transfixed.

"More, I need more." He reached for the bucket, but Mimír, the quick shadow, knocked it back into the well. "A second drink would cost your other eye and more. The Aesir do not need another blind god; I think Hodr will cause enough mischief for all the worlds." Odin, now the wise god, withdrew his hand knowing that nothing would move Mimír, and his pride would not permit him to attempt begging. "The world. . .the world is going to end." Unperturbed, Mimír returned the ladel to its rightful place beside the well. "Then you shall create a new one."
"This world, this creation," He gestured to the monstrous tree, "does not deserve to die."
"And yet you would tear it apart yourself through war and bloodshed?" Odin, god of fury and war, paused.
"War gives men something to live for." Odin said, and then added with thought, "And it may perhaps be our solution." Mimír hissed with disgust.
"Your wars brought my death."
"It was the Vanir who killed you, not I."
"You sent me."
"You volunteered, knowing well the danger."
"You should have killed the siblings to avenge me!" Mimír cried. Saddened, Odin dispelled the shadowy illusion of Mimír's body. Lying in the grass next to the well was a severed head, all that existed of the former god of wisdom, which glared up at Odin.
"Friend," Odin said, "I gave you consciousness again, I gave you the power of speech once more. Do not accuse me. Not now." The head continued to glare, "You are no longer 'Friend' to me, Fury. And what will you do now? Now that you know the world will die? Now that the Norns have turned you away from the well of Urd, now that you are barred from my well? Where will you get the wisdom to combat the inevitable?" the head spat. Odin turned his eyes to the tree that towered over the well and its pitiful guardian. "Perhaps death can help me." He whispered.

In Norse Mythology, Odin - the chief god, visited Mimir's well - a well that was said to give wisdom to those who drank from it. It was guarded by the head of the former god of wisdom, Mimir. Mimir had been part of a hostage exchange to ensure peace between two branches of the gods. However, his captors weren't too happy with the other hostage they received, and so they killed Mimir (instead of the other guy.) and sent his head back to Odin. Odin reanimated the head and set it to guard the well of wisdom, which lay at the base of the world tree, Yggdrassil. When Odin visited the well, he saw a brief glimpse of the Ragnarok - the end of the world. Just enough to know something bad was going to happen though. After this, he went on a fervent search for ways to find wisdom. The next path being lynching himself on Yggdrassil, for nine days and nights, effectively "dying".

and that's all the back story you should need to know. Well, not need to know, but I think maybe it might help?
Maeniel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two days!!! Good luck! Smile
JackAce

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gromrik's gaze shifted back and forth between the game board and the deity sitting opposite him. Not for the first time in the course of the game he asked himself what kind of people would venerate a war deity like that.

Gromrik was what he assumed to be a "traditional" War God: A tall, muscular man, clad in furs, leather and chainmail. His huge battle-axe, symbol for his might among his disciples, rested against the back of his chair.

In contrast, his opponent was a petite woman; lithe, sensual and nude. It would have been easy to mistake her for a Love Goddess, were it not for the raging fire in her eyes and the fact that her skin was continuously seeping blood.

The overall impression this deity made was one of "Blood-Lust." Gromrik shivered. He had to win this game! He couldn't allow his followers to fall into the hands of a people that would worship a goddess like this!

He concentrated on the game once more. Her defensive position was strong, all of her pieces well guarded. Nevertheless, Gromrik had to find a way to break through her lines. He picked up his knight and moved it towards her rook which was a cornerstone of her right flank.

Wulfen rose to his feet and took the idol of Gromrik into his hands. He turned towards his troops that still remained kneeling and held the ornamented Battle-Axe out over their heads.

"Gromrik, Mighty Battle Lord! Give us strength and lead us to victory today!"

"HOUGH!" the assembled warriors shouted out in unison, before they too rose to their feet again.

"Brothers," Wulfen addressed his men, "our task for this day will be hard, and many of us will not return. But this fortress must be taken, and we're the ones to do it! Those of us that survive this day will be hailed as heroes when we return home, and those that don't will have won their place in Gromrik's celestial host."

"HOUGH!" came the answer once more.

"Now follow me! To Glory!"

Gromrik placed the knight on the rooks square and removed the rook from the board. The feral grin on his opponent's face was briefly replaced by a frown of concern, but only for a short moment. Before Gromrik had even put the taken rook down on the table, she had already picked up one of her own pieces in response.

After hours of fierce fighting, the castle's courtyard was littered with the dead. Enemies and allies lay tumbled among each other. Wulfen led the remainder of his men through the rising corridors of the keep until they emerged on top of the tall watchtower. They had done it! The fortress was theirs.

As a token of conquest, he swung the great battle-axe and chopped down the flagpole which held his enemies' banner aloft over the castle. With the creaking of splintering wood the pole came down. toppled over the edge of the platform and fell to the ground below.

Wulfen climbed up on top of the battlements and raised the axe of Gromrik over his head in triumph. Just then, small missile came flying from the somewhere among the rocks below. The crossbow bolt struck Wulfen in the chest and made him collapse. His comrades watched in horror as their leader keeled over forwards and dropped into the depth.

With a sickly wet thud Wulfen's body hit the ground among the numerous fallen, allies and enemies alike, that lay in the courtyard.

Gromrik's opponent put her pawn down on the contested square and picked up Gromrik's knight. Her bloody hands left bright red smears on the figurine.

Gromrik grimaced. He had known that his move was a sacrifice, but a necessary one. He had succeeded in weakening his opponent's defence, but the game was far from over…

Please click on my Eggs and Hatchlings.
Asa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Both of yours are great, but bloody. Mine's a bit different...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Silover and His Psychiatrist

"I hate when people worship me without knowing what they're actually doing, you know? It's like biting into something and discovering it's hollow."

"And why do you feel that way, sir?"

"Well, they ask for a sign or a visitation, you know? And then when I do show up, they run away screaming, faint, or refuse to believe I exist."

"Does this happen a lot, sir?"

"All the time. You're one of the few who believes in me 100% anymore. You'd think that with all the science in the world, the God of Logic would be more popular, you know?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A short drabble (100 words) illustrating Silover's difficulty in adjusting to the modern world.

Tinu.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the idea behind yours Ace. ^____^

And Asa, yours is just plain funny. X3
Asa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! That's exactly what I was going for.

Maeniel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm extending this WG by a week--have your entries in by the 23rd--this Saturday!
Allicat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZOMG!!!11! I am so sorry. *scribbles furiously*

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Asa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sits back and watches the scrambling, munching on stale Welcome popcorn*

Allicat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is done!

Peleus and Thetis were blissfully happy. They were joined in that most glorious of unions and now, with Their friends around them were free to celebrate Their marriage in the most magnificent spectacle seen since the wedding of Zeus and Hera Themselves. Golden cherubs serenaded the guests as they swarmed round to congratulate the newly weds and fountains of wine sparkled in the celestial light. The amphitheatre was filled with vibrant beings who seemed to glow with an inner fire. The melody of the cherubs and the gentle music of the fountains was almost drowned by the sound of deities partying as only deities can! All shapes and races were represented at this most joyous occasion, except one. And She was not happy about it.

Eris. Goddess of Chaos. Daughter of Night and mother to Strife. Companion of Ares, God of Savage Warfare and Bloodlust. For all these titles She felt slighted. Why should She, the bringer of so much entertainment, be left out of the biggest party in millennia? She stalked towards the celebrations, a vision of rage. An apparition made terrible by her hatred. Where She trod the marble floor cracked and blackened or melted into weird and fantastic shapes. As she came to the gates of the assembly two minions barred her way.

“Eris, Goddess of Chaos, you are refused entry.”

There was a long pause.

“You cannot be serious.”

The slighted Goddess fixed the minions with a glare that would bring the most fearsome of the God’s warriors to their knees, and indeed had on a few occasions.

Eris then voiced a screech which reverberated around the amphitheatre
and disintegrated the two minions barring her way. Two more instantly appeared in their place.

She screamed again and another two minions appeared in place of their dispersed comrades.

“You can scream all you like Eris. You are not getting in.”

As might have been expected all the commotion had attracted the attention of the revellers and They congregated by the gates watching Eris’ futile attempts to gain entry.

“I have an endless supply of them” continued Zeus “so there is little point in this display of temper.”

“How dare you try to keep me away on this day?”

“I dare, dear Eris, because I am your superior. Peleus and Thetis did not want you attending, possibly for the very reason you are so beautifully demonstrating, so I made sure that admission would not be possible for you.”

Eris stood for a moment, visibly shaking, as the assembly watched Her. Some intrigued, some afraid, for the Goddess’ temper was well known and respected in its ferocity.

Then She smiled.

It was terrifying in both its unexpectedness and its nature, for what was pleasing to the Goddess was generally trouble for anyone else.

“May I at least bestow my blessing on this gathering with a gift?”

Zeus thought, but could not see how any harm could come of it that He could not overcome.

“You may.”

Eris smiled again and raised her hands in front of her.

For the golden assembly, a fitting gift.
One which shall their spirits lift.
One which all shall regard with awe,
And which shall shake the Earth to it’s very core.
Upon you I bestow a gift sublime
And one which shall echo through the halls of time.
This golden apple I give to thee
But only the fairest shall receive.

A golden apple fell into Her outstretched palms and she tossed it over the gate.

“Enjoy.”

As She turned She heard three voices rise in argument.

She smiled.

You can check out the aftermath of this party here. And you can read more about Eris here.

Last edited by Allicat on Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
JackAce

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allicat wrote:
For the golden assembly, a fitting gift.
One which shall their spirits lift.
One which all shall regard with awe,
And which shall shake the Earth to it’s very core.
Upon you I bestow a gift sublime
And one which shall echo through the halls of time.
This golden apple I give to thee
But only the fairest shall receive.

A golden apple fell into Her outstretched palms and she tossed it over the gate.

“Enjoy.”

fnord!

Allicat wrote:
You can check out the aftermath of this party here.

I assume you meant here, right?

Please click on my Eggs and Hatchlings.
Allicat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Yes I did. Stupid technology being too smart for me.

*bustles off to edit*

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Written Word All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: