FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Science Fiction Recommendations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Violabelle wrote:
Not sure if all of those pass Tin's test, but this was the kind of thing I've always thought of as classic SciFi.

All those qualify as SF as far as I'm concerned, with the exception of Brave New World, which is arguable. From what I know of it, it sounds like a dystopia, but not necessarily SF. I don't really know, though, since I haven't read it.

Oh, and not everything of Jack McDevitt's is good. For example, Deepsix was awfully tedious. I struggled through the entire book, but really, the only memorable passage was the bit where the heroine attempted conjugal relations with a large carnivorous orchid. Hallucinogenic pollen, you know. Later she assured her girlfriends that it was totally worth it, even though the orchid has been attempting to digest her at the time. That made me laugh. The rest of the book was awfully dull, and featured far too much pontificating by a character bearing some startling resemblances to Rush Limbaugh.
Nem

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

distantvoices wrote:
*Moores Law states that cpu power is to double every two years - or so, have to look it up to citate properly. Shame I haven't done so beforehand.

Hmm, kinda yes and but also a bit of no. Moore's law concerns the number of transistors you can place on a circuit board without it costing a prohibitive amount.
- Issa
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oo. Didn't expect to spark a discussion. (Or to log on and find I've started another thread I don't recall)

Thanks for all the recomendations guys, now I'm spoilt for choice.
Merlenyn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foundation and Left Hand Of Darkness were ALSO on my Sci-Fi classes' lists... I think those were in the first year I took it. Second year, they'd been replaced. I liked them alot... Also, going onto LeGuin and LHoD... I also read The Dissposessed (loved this book!) back in a Novel class, which was not all Sci-fi or Fantasy... We read Crime and Punishment, The Castle of Otroanto, Northanger Abbey and some other novels I can't remember right now... they're all in boxes, I should pull them out soon.
Feaelen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Britland with respect to the David Brin book that Tinman suggested i'd just like to say that the book rocked. However i'd recommend starting at the beginning of the series rather then the middle.

David Brin has written a few "Uplift Trilogies":

First Uplift Trilogy:
Sundiver, Startide Rising, The Uplift War

2nd Trilogy
Brightness Reef, Infinity's Shore, Heaven's Reach

These are all great books, but starting at the beginning really helps with the understanding. I'd even recommend reading the first uplift trilogy first as the 2nd one ties into the first... in a way....

more book titles later, when i'm actually near my books XP

Apparently I missed finding the new keepership thread and thus missed out on what i was origionaly keeper of [Willow's Journal and K'Thonya's new made sword [old itteration of Earthsong's archive]]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
RoseBlood

Location: Gallifrey. . . (Before the Time Wars. Duh- I time- traveled to get here.)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off the top of my head- I recommend "The Host", by Stephenie Meyer. It's watered down Sci-fi, all in all (not to mention a fairly female novel, what with the bits of romance, and all).

And though this one's a J fiction novel, it's good all the same- try "The Supernaturalist".
'I want you, bleeders......'
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Sundiver stunk. It was nowhere near as good as any of the later books in the Brin series, and you don't need to have read it in order to read the others. They stand alone pretty well. I didn't read Sundiver until after I'd read Startide Rising and the Uplift War, and missed nothing.
Nem

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything by Dan Abnett but specifically his Gaunt's Ghosts books. I know I know, Warhammer is emblazoned on the front, I was reluctant to read it too. It's actually suprisingly good though, reminds me of some of Sven Hassel's books. Not quite your typical space opera fair mind.

For the more traditional line of stuff there The Dreaming Void by Peter F Hamilton. His Night's Dawn Trillogy is also alright if you don't mind some adult themes.
- Issa
Merlenyn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminiscing, I think some of the first Sci-Fi I ever read was Andrea Norton's Star Ka'ats and the Plant People though I think alot of her older stuff might be out of print now... my grandfather has a fairly decent selection...
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mm, Abnett's good, and while Gaunt's Ghosts are really just trashy war novels IN SPACE, Abnett writes them very well. The Eisenhorn trilogy is also very good.

And I seem to have gotten bottom-paged, so I'll repeat my post for people to actually see =P

E. E. 'Doc' Smith
Isaac Asimov
Hal Clement (the only book of his I've managed to find is Heavy Planet, but that is excellent)
Arthur C. Clarke

There's an old (I think) Gollancz publishing series called something like masters of Science Fiction (all with distinctive yellow covers as seen here which covers a number of excellent single-novel hard-sci-fi authors, too.

Classics like Dune never hurt, but sadly, really REALLY good sci fi is very hard to come by nowadays.
unimportant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XD may I just say it is no surprise that the demographic of this forum has easily risen to the call for good sci-fi? I've been wanting some sci-fi book recommendations too, so thanks from me also!

My only two cents is to re-inforce the recommendation from awhile ago fro Orson Scott Card, and say that i personally prefer the Bean series, which starts with "Ender's Shadow", but in order to apprectiate said series fully you really do need to read "Ender's Game" first Smile

Other than that, alls I gots is short stories for the genre.
CBB

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like a lot of the authors already mentioned, plus David Weber's Honor Harrington series (there's about...two billion books to choose from there) as well as his Dahak/Empire from the Ashes series (only three). They're heavy in detail when it comes to futuristic technology and military strategy, though, so sometimes it can get a bit confusing.

Psychosomatic! That boy needs therapy...
Ya que estamos en el baile, ¡bailemos!

Keeper of Earthsong's Wispy Wooshy Memory Ball
Keeper of the Dragon Planet
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally managed to pick one, today I bought Ender's Game but there's plenty more that I plan to read. Thaks a lot guys.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ender's Game is one of the Sci-Fi classics, and it's a good read to boot. The ending surprised me, actually, I didn't see it coming. Enjoy!

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Violabelle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin... how could you have not read Brave New World? That kind of blows my mind. Question It just seems like your kind of book.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: