FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

THE OLYMPICS
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

horsin'around

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: THE OLYMPICS Reply with quote

Come on, everyone!! They're starting soon!

If you fight for your limitations, you get to keep them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ponce
spawnofjaws

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the body-painting, thingy!
It was cool!
Keeper of Oliblish and Teh Poodle Stick....
[/url]
horsin'around

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glued to telly.

If you fight for your limitations, you get to keep them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ponce
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The opening ceremony was quite cool (particularly the torch lighting bit and the impressive fireworks. But we were kinda expecting fireworks, the Chinese did invent them after all...) but I'm still not sure whether I will be boycotting actually watching the events or not. I'm not terribly interested by most of them, and there are some major political issues on hand. But on the other hand, my boycotting watching will not make a shred of difference, so...
Lithrath

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voice my political feelings in student demonstrations. ^___^

As for the games, I'm following too many athletes not to watch them *currently cheering Canada's male gymnasts and street cyclists*

Tenshi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be sitting out the Olympic Games when they're held in China, honestly. While I would love to see what happens, and I make a point to watch the Olympics, I won't do so in support of a country that so blatantly and willingly tramples on human rights, and then lies about it to the rest of the world.

So do tell me who wins all the golds, then. Razz

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
theBSDude

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to watch soccer. Hope Solo is local.

Gotta support my home-girl from the east side (of Washington State).

TheBSDude, dubbed 'BS' by Asa and nicknamed 'Thebes.'
Keeper of the Tristam, The Amazing Non-Emo Vampire!(tm) and a Massive List of Webcomics.

"I'm like a ninja with no hopes or dreams." --Wally of Dilbert
Squeeself

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's watch Squee rant for a little bit. Just skip this if you don't want any icky feelings.

We'll just jump on the China-bashing bandwagon. It's the fashionable thing to do right now. Sure, human right abuses have been going on for quite some time now, but NOW is the perfect time to lend your voice to the din of people repeating what they've heard from somebody else. We'll all just ignore the fact that China has come a very long way over the last several decades. The fact that for the Chinese people seem to be generally fine with their own government because they now have food on their tables (NOT the case 50 years ago), and even though they have one of the most unequal distributions of wealth in the world, they're all proud to be coming out into the world stage as a great economic power. We're not envious at all.

Let's all point the finger at China right now while we ignore problems closer to home. We don't have to actually back up our words with actions, just be really loud about it. Because, hey, it's easier that way. Responsibility is for everyone else. We don't need to listen to that one guy who talked to us about motes and beams in our eyes. Nope, we gotta throw some heavy lashes here before the next fashionable blame target comes along. Oh hey, I know, maybe it'll be that whole Georgian business next. Let's let someone with a loud voice choose to tell us who has the moral high-ground in that mess.

</blatant sarcasm>

Boycotting the Olympics goes against the entire point of the things...they're intended to be a unifying force. The entire point is to try to break down political barriers, yet we're all intent a reinforcing them with rebar. I won't contest that China has a ton of problems, or that it has tried VERY hard to cover them up with the Olympics there now. With the largest population in the world, who wouldn't? And sure, China really needs to fix its human rights problems...But its important to note that China is, in general, heading in a better direction than ever before. But here they are, welcoming the world into their homes in a way never done before for them (even if they've swept the dirt under the rug), and we refuse be entertained by them why? I could iterate countless reasons why; I won't for the sake of letting people think about it some more.

Squee's best friend is Chinese. Very, very Americanized (seriously, zero accent), but still, a Chinese national. Goes to China every once in a while. He can tell me all kinds of interesting tales. Plenty of problems (he was telling me some interesting rich vs. poor China stories today), but also a ton of cultural things that are fascinating (especially since he sees a lot that the average tourist would never). You can find all the dirt you want on China, cause there is a ton of it, but don't ever forget that Chinese culture is NOT like Western culture. That doesn't make any of their wrongs right, but so often people condemn without understanding WHY they occur.

In the end, the biggest reason Squee thinks Olympic boycotts are incredibly silly is you're boycotting the athletes themselves, not the country. China isn't making money of the Olympics, they're losing money in fact. China is only trying to save face (for lack of a better English word) with the Olympics, and not watching the Olympics isn't going to change any of that. Nor is jumping on the fashion bandwagon, which will just as surely move onto the next target once the Olympics are over; all of this will be forgotten by and large. Especially here on the Internet, where data is permanent, and talk disappears faster than spring showers. Just look out outrage over Darfur, Gitmo, or any other hundreds of human rights violations where...dun dun dun...nobody did anything but talk loudly.

Done ranting. Next time you feel like protesting something, think about the issue more in depth rather than following the crowd of popular opinion, and just maybe, you'll protest something in a way that actually matters, rather than giving you warm fuzzy feelings. Zai jian.
Nem

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharing the warm fuzzies isn't a pointless exercise. Protesting is as much an expression of emotion and mutual comfort as it is a call for change. Though that said sometimes just knowing there are others out there who share your way of thinking can encourage change.

Personally I might look in on the boxing if I can find a time when it's on. Not much else that interests me this time around. The Olympics needs some more sports.
- Issa
Rolaoi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was seriously disappointed with how the Canadian women's soccer team played against the Chinese team.
Fame~Citzen Cope

Nom d'amour~ Rolex
Tenshi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Squee: As a good friend told me once, just because it won't make a difference doesn't mean I shouldn't stand for what I believe in. I don't want to get into a huge discussion on it, this is the Olympic thread. Summing it up though? I'm not parroting someone else's opinion, I did a great deal of research into China's communism and their tyranny long before they were chosen as host for the 2008 Olympics. My views are based on my own beliefs, my own reasoning, and it's the same reason I avoid purchasing things made in China, if I can help it.

::shrug::

Now go back to discussing the Olympics, I'm jumping ship. Squee, if you want to continue, PM me, eh?

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
unimportant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points made on both sides, I'm in the camp of acknowledging the flaws of the host country, but then moving on, considering the Olymdpics THEMSELVES are an international event and not inclined, hopefully, to any one nation over the other in regards to the competition.

That said, can we get into the discussion of the actual sports? They're way cool and so far there's already tons to talk about!

I personally am never patriotic, really, until the olympics run around and then i fall hook line and sinker for the whole "root for your nation obsessively" thing. I keep eyeing China's medal count and crossing my fingers we stay ahead XD. I thought today's 4x100 freestyle relay was mind boggling, if I may say so. Not just the medaling teams, but the fact that the top FIVE teams were ahead of the previous world record. May I repeat? The top FIVE teams! Wowmigosh!

EDIT: @ Nem have you been having difficulty finding boxing? In America, it's on NBC's extra channel practically non-stop it seems, and since the events don't interest me too much it's driving me crazy XD. But I'm also very lucky to have more TV channels than a sane minded person knows what to do with, so perhaps most people don't get to see this. I don't know.
Tyris

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Information for public knowledge: we're not boycotting the Olympics 'cause they're in China. We're just ignoring the Olympics 'cause of not giving one flying monkey butt about them (or any other professional sport, for that matter).

Just thought you ought to know.

Right, carry on.

"It's a sad thing when a man loses his cookie." - Nem
spawnofjaws

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha, yesterday, me and my friend were talking about how we thought Michael Phelps was really good-looking.
It made me feel like a normal teenager....
XD
Keeper of Oliblish and Teh Poodle Stick....
[/url]
theBSDude

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unimportant wrote:
I thought today's 4x100 freestyle relay was mind boggling, if I may say so. Not just the medaling teams, but the fact that the top FIVE teams were ahead of the previous world record. May I repeat? The top FIVE teams! Wowmigosh!

That was freakin' INSANE! The reaction of the American team was priceless. I wanted to see Bush's reaction, though too. I have the whole thing recorded, probably watch it again this afternoon with my parents.

TheBSDude, dubbed 'BS' by Asa and nicknamed 'Thebes.'
Keeper of the Tristam, The Amazing Non-Emo Vampire!(tm) and a Massive List of Webcomics.

"I'm like a ninja with no hopes or dreams." --Wally of Dilbert
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: