FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

TREASURE HUNTERS: The Magician's Compass
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

JackAce

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Nothing gets past my eyes."

So it was quite likely that the kapitan did indeed know about Lycoris' shady background...

"Are you done getting settled?"

"Ah... not quite... As I said, I will need to make some modifications to my cabin's furnishings. Luckily, you have provided the cabins with regular beds. If it had been a built-in bunk, I would have had to rip it out completely. But with this bed, I'll be able to deconstruct it and re-use some parts of it to create a suitable sleeping arrangement. I will, however, require some sort of padding to lay out on the floor. The area coverage of your human-sized matresses is somewhat insufficient for my format."

Please click on my Eggs and Hatchlings.
Nem

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unpacking done Peter turned to head back on deck and caught Tristan’s call. The sound was strangely distorted as if he’d spoken using the captain’s voice but lacking any of the normal distortions from being in a small wooden room. Telepathy? Peter wondered stepping out into the blisteringly hot sunlight. Then again maybe the captain's talent was throwing his voice. He squinted down the length of the deck making out the captain and the centaur chatting together. The centaur seemed to be prattling on about its sleeping arangements. How did a centaur sleep anyway? He'd never really given the issue much thought, the creatures didn't seem too well suited to seafaring to start with, finding one on the crew was a little unusual.

"You called?"
- Issa
Maeniel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Err..." Tristan blinked. "I'd rather you not deconstruct a bedframe. I suspect they're antiques; I received them with the ship. They may be as old as the ship itself. We've got extra timber downstairs that you may use, as long as you replace it on one of our excursions. As far as padding goes, I'm not sure... Don't centaur usually use hay? I don't think we've got any hay here, but we've got some canvas that you can use until we find a nice pillow plant or blanket bush."

"You called?" Peter asked.

"Ah! Yes," Tristan said, smiling at the man.

Tristan turned to the centaur. "I'm afraid we'll need to continue this discussion after the meeting. There will be plenty of time to make accommodations before nightfall. In the meantime, you can continue to unpack your belongings or head over to the navigation room. The rest of the crew will be meeting there shortly."

Tristan focused again on Peter and would begin talking once Nawahqde was out of earshot. "When I was hiring you, you said that you had many talents. You mentioned knives and medicine, I think. Do you by any chance have a talent for the cullinary arts? I'm afraid my own cooking is...er...questionable at best. Our cook should be here soon, but I suspect he'll want help every now and then--especially with this many people to feed."
JackAce

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I'm afraid we'll need to continue this discussion after the meeting. There will be plenty of time to make accommodations before nightfall. In the meantime, you can continue to unpack your belongings or head over to the navigation room. The rest of the crew will be meeting there shortly."

"I see... The canvas should be sufficient until we can find something better. And as to the bed frame; I will have no room for that thing in my chamber. If you will not let me take it appart, you will have to stow it away somewhere else."

"And now, I think I will have a look at your timber supply. With you leave, kapitan..."

Hay! What is that human thinking? Next thing, he is going to try and feed me hay...

Nawahqde trotted off towards the center door of the deck house that would lead him to the lower deck. The staircase was steep and narrow, but he had seen worse on other ships. He should be able to walk on this one.

It was indeed a tight fit, with the handrails on either side scraping along his flanks, but the stairs' gradient prooved to be less problematic then it had seemed from above. He had just reached the level floor of the lower deck when he suddenly felt a pressure on his flanks from both sides.

Turning around, he found the source of that pressure: The handrails terminated in a pair or vertical posts which stuck out into the corridor. Those few inches of width made all the difference, though. He couldn't go forward, he wouldn't be able to get back up the stairs backwards, and he couldn't turn around.

He was stuck!

Eh... Help?

"Kapitan! Anyone! I have come along a problem!"

Nem

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"As I understand it most of the trouble in being a ship’s cook is keeping track of stores and scheduling them for a voyage. I’ll chip in with anything if needs be, hopefully there won’t be much doctoring to keep me busy, so you'll get standard bachelor's fair easily enough; pies, fry ups, rice, soup, maybe a crumble and the occasional noodle. Not sure you'd call it a talent mind but you won't die from it too often. Anything fancier like cakes or strange sauces I might have to ‘improvise’ a bit but if you tack some strange foreign name on it or just fail to mention what it’s meant to be no-one really notices. People tend to fill in a version of the truth better for themselves anyway most of the time."

Peter left unsaid his opinion of a cook who couldn't even handle meals for seven by himself. It was never wise to speak ill of the person holding the wooden spoon, otherwise they might make chilli, or even worse, curry, on a regular basis.
- Issa
Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the "infamous Max Maguire" strode in long, hurried steps down the cobblestone street, he attempted to finish the last of his pipe. A richly colorful scent flowed out on all sides as he strode quickly around a corner, then another. The sun shone brightly enough to remind him of his hurried pace, and that he was now quite late for an appointment he should have kept first above all else.

Of course, it was not entirely his fault, nothing ever was truly only his fault. A powerful reminder of this was the thin line of blood that trained down from the brim of his dark brown hat. The edges of the hat stretched out, blocking the sun from hitting his otherwise very pale shoulders and neck. On the other hand, the hat just made the blood look like it was more serious than it was. A minor scrape, to be sure.

He didn't even bother to pause as he made out the Rachel among the other ships. Discarding the pipe in a random nearby object of little importance to him, he placed a small object between his lips. With a wry grin, he tongued the slightly triangular-shaped object between his lips and shifted his duffel bag on his right shoulder. His right hand gripped the straps of the large bag, whilst his left hand was carrying a musical instrument case. By the looks of the case, the instrument was also completely hand-made (a rarity, much like the Rachel).

So the cap' has a flair for good looking ships. Good to know he's got some class, at least, he mused to himself as he rounded the bottom of the gangplank and began climbing it quickly.

As he crested the wooden bridge from land to sea, he moved his right hand to offer a two-fingered salute to the most well dressed man present, whom he presumed to be the captain. Max himself was wearing a torn and somewhat bloody white vest, with loose green trousers covering three quarters of his legs and suspended by a tightly woven leather belt. Perhaps the most expensive (and confusing) aspect of his dress was the ornate silver and leather boots, which contained patterns that swirled in dizzyingly repeating patterns.

"Sorry ah'm late, had me a bit of a scuf' with me manager. Seems I's worth more ta' 'em dead an' alive."

Whether his speech was muffled and distorted by the object between his lips, or if he really spoke like that, was anyone's guess at the moment. Other exceptionally visible aspects of this new man would be the innumerable scars all over his undernourished body.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Maeniel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Thanks, Peter," Tristan said warmly. It was good to know that there was a second option should the need arise. "Has everything gone smoothly with your unpacking?"

Tristan heard the sudden cries for help from the centaur just as Max boarded the ship. He sighed and projected his hearing once more to Lycoris. "Ly, don't worry about coming up. Our cook's here, which is mostly what I wanted to talk to you about. It seems as though Nawahqde has lodged himself in the stairway. Would you mind helping him out?"

Projecting his hearing to the women downstairs, he said, "Ladies, it seems as though Nawahqde has gotten stuck in the stairway. Would you please calm him and keep him company until Lycoris can lift him out? Thank you."

As Max boarded the ship, he offered Tristan a two-fingered salute. The guy was covered with blood and was somewhat malnourished. A malnourished cook? That worried Tristan. Hopefully that would be quickly rectified. "It's okay. Your room is downstairs...which is, unfortunately, blocked by a stuck centaur at the moment. If you'd like, I'm sure that Peter here," Tristan gestured at the medic beside him, "can help you out as far as your cuts go, if you would like. He'll also be your roommate.

"Peter, most of our supplies are, unfortunately, blocked by our crewmate, but there should be some healing salve in the navigation room."

The navigation room would be at the bow of the ship. Inside would be a large, tall table with more than enough seats for the entire crew; Tristan would have had the foresight to remove one of the chairs for the centaur. Cabinets lined the walls, with several windows looking out. Scrolls and maps lay scattered near the head of the table; a few cabinets lay open, revealing many books within. One cabinet was labeled quite clearly with the universal medical sign--a green moon. It glowed softly with a warm green light. Within would be several slings, healing salve, needle and thread, bandages, and scissors among other things. The healing salve would be in a squat, round wooden container with a twist-off top. It would be iridesecent green/orange with the texture of petroleum jelly. When applied, it would grow soothingly warm and dull the pain.

If they happened to be nosy and look at the large map in front of Tristan, they would find several areas with red pins in them. However, Lisaia would have a white pin in it. There would also be a white pin on the western coast with a string connecting the two. A green pin would be stuck a little off the western coast on top of a little castle icon. Another string connected this to the pin on the western coast; there was a bit of forest between the two, away from any enchanted path. The other scrolls would describe different creatures that inhabited this area, as well as random snippets of local legends and lore about a Castle Rose.

There was also a door to the kitchen on the right-hand side of the room, towards the back.
Ravenna

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I need to talk to you. I'll be on deck near the stern."

Lycoris twitched - she had forgotten about Tristan's talents, and while she wasn't jumpy, she was not particularly happy about Nawahqde's attempt to question her and was already keyed up.

At this point thankfully, Nawahqde elected to give her a slightly sarcastic salute and excuse himself and so she closed her door over again and went to retrieve a light jacket, and to the Abyss with the day's heat. She would have to see if she could procue some more bandages from whoever had been designated the ship's doctor, or just wear longer sleeves in future.

Pulling the jacket about her shoulders, she had been at the entrance back onto the main deck and could see Tristan with two other crew members, when he projected his voice right in her ear once more.

"Ly, don't worry about coming up. Our cook's here, which is mostly what I wanted to talk to you about. It seems as though Nawahqde has lodged himself in the stairway. Would you mind helping him out?"

"Understood Captain, I'll get on the problem right away and convene on deck or in the ready room once I'm done," Lycoris replied sharply - she might be visible to those on deck, possibly with a very quick scowl.

She turned stiffly on her heel and made her way down the stairs and stopped a few feet away from behind the centaur. She cleared her throat loudly to make her presence known.

"Nawahqde, the Captain has alerted me to your situation. If you would try to relax and not thrash about, I shall try and push you through. I will try to be as delicate I can, but since my powers tend towards the macro scale of things, you should be prepared to fall or stumble through," Lycoris said to him in a calm, polite tone. "Let me know when you are ready please."
JackAce

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Nawahqde, the Captain has alerted me to your situation. If you would try to relax and not thrash about, I shall try and push you through. I will try to be as delicate I can, but since my powers tend towards the macro scale of things, you should be prepared to fall or stumble through."

"Let me know when you are ready please."

"Eh, all right..."

Nawahqde moved as far forward as the poles to either side would allow him and braced himself against the side wall with his hands.

"I am ready."

Nem

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Yeah, everything's fine. I'm not sure whether you want me to set up shop down there as far as doctoring goes or whether you've somewhere more specific in mind but we can talk about that later if we need to." He answered Tristan.

Peter wasn't entirely sure what to make of the new arrival. Blood and music, a strange enough combination by itself without counting the boots. Some random dandy, a stone cold killer in disguise, or just someone lucky enough to tumble out of whatever he started still in one piece. There was something familiar about the man, maybe it was just because he was hard to see properly through all that blood, though to his credit the wound didn't seem to be bothering him.

"Pleased to meet you," He offered his hand to Max, "Didn't catch the name, sorry. How about you come 'forad with me and we'll get you cleaned up before the rest of the crew comes in."
- Issa
Tenshi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He nodded and shifted his weight to hold the duffel bag on his shoulder alone, clasping hands tightly with Peter. It suddenly dawned on him that he should have tried to clean himself up a bit before he had boarded, but he was already well beyond late. They may well have left without him, if he'd waited longer.

And staying in this city was not an option for the next few weeks, probably. He tongued the object in his mouth, then plucked it from between his lips and tucked it into a small (very hard to notice) pouch along the straps on his bag.

"The name is Gregory Casey, sorry about the looks. Turns out they wanted me to stay so they could milk the career a bit longer, but I have other plans!" he grinned with a winning, if staged, smile. "And getting cleaned up sounds a treat, lead on sir."

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Ravenna

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Eh, all right... I am ready."

"Very well," Lycoris replied quietly.

Reaching out with her powers, Lycoris pushed Nawahqde through the stairway. She gave him enough of a shove to push him through clear, but he wouldn't be injured or fall into any walls. Though there would be some minimal damage to the stair-rails.

Lycoris assumed that Tristan was still listening in - he would want a status update, right? She'd soon find out enough.

"Captain, our little crisis has been averted and our carpenter uninjured, though we have some damage to rails that should be seen to before we head anywhere stormy," she said aloud calmly. "I assume you want us to report to the navigation room now?"
JackAce

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nawahqde heard the poles cracking besides him as stumbled a few steps into the corridor.

"Thank you, Ma'am."

"...we have some damage to rails that should be seen to before we head anywhere stormy."

"I will take a look at it right away ... as soon as I find a place to turn around."

He walked toward the door at the opposite end of the corridor - as he expected, it led to the main storage space where he had enough place to turn.

Returning to the staircase, he examined the damage to the rails.

"Hmm... It is nothing, really. Those poles served no other function than holding up the hand-rails. They would not have broken through this easily if they were relevant for the ship's stuctural integrity.

I will have to construct new supports, of course. But that would have been necessary anyway. After all, I would not be able to perform my duties very well if I were unable to reach parts of the ship's hull."

Last edited by JackAce on Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tinu.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Lyla Davidson, by the way. I may have introduced myself to Captain Tristan, but not to you. It's Alia, right?" Alia was about to answer when the tie holding back Lyla's hair snapped. The girl muttered and apology and set to fixing her unruly hair. Alia grinned and sat up.

"Yes, I'm Alia Carbury, nice to meet you. She cast a glance around the small room, cluttered with furniture - there was barely any floorspace. "Looks like we're stuck with each other, eh?" While she waited for Lyla to finish with her hair, she eyed her pack. Should she put away her things now? Or just leave them here?

Just then she heard the captain's call, and stood up startled, knocking her head on the top of the bunk in the process. "Ouch!" She cradled her aching head, blinking sudden water from her eyes. She'd have a sore bump on her head for at least the rest of today and tomorrow - if not longer. Good thing she had a hard head.
"Guess we'd better get to the navigation room," She suggested, still rubbing her head. "Erm. . .don't suppose you know where it is, do you?"
Nem

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nav room was everything Peter expected of a treasure hunter's ship, charts and books crammed into place. Disappointingly there were no visible trunks overfilled with gold and jewels, nor shiny swords hanging on the walls. There was a medical cabinet though, he rifled through it until he found a suitable looking salve, he rubbed a small spot on his arm to make sure it still worked feeling the area go pleasantly numb.

"Well let's have a look at it then Greg, find out whether it's just a scratch or whether someone's nigh on split your head open."
- Issa
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Serious RPG's All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12

Jump to: